Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my Kimber a few weeks ago and i can say from firing a lot of rounds through it, it works great. Good weight and balance accurate right out of the box. Do recommend getting the tac mags when you get one since the factory mag is not that great. The finish is totally a new process where it bonds with the integrity of the metal and it was tested in saltwater for 1000 hours with no corrosion. I carry it everyday and consider it to be a fine weapon. The rosewood grips add a nice touch as well. Has tritium night sights to complete the package. I have several other handguns and this is just a nice addition to the collection. :unitedstates:

Attachments

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
First off, in case I missed you when you left your 1st post, welcome to the site.

Very nice choice. I noticed it is on the pricey side. Were you able to find it for quite a bit less then the MSRP, if I might ask? I've had my eye on the Kimber Pro TLE II with Crimson Trace laser grip. Asking out of curiosity as to how much haggle room there is on Kimbers is all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i did saved 400.00 by ordering it from Ben's Loan in Renton. Got it brand new just fyi. Their prices there for new firearms are lower than MSRP so i have bought a lot of mine from there

·
Registered
55 Posts
Happy to read your report

Glad to hear that Kimber is doing something about the poor finishs of their 1911s of past. My 4" Tac Pro II came with a really poor finish it's wearing off in places. My 3" Ultra Carry looks like it got the black stove treatment. Even my 5" Custom TLE does not have a truly good looking finish.

They all came with IMHO worthless Mags I went with Wilson Combat Mags and am vey happy I did. Kimber should ship all their 1911s with the new Tac Mag. and not the cheap one that don't work well.

My new Para LDA came with two really quality Mags and they work well.

I want to have faith in Kimber but it's not been easy the past five years since I bought all three of mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree on the factory mags that Kimber sell with their guns. I got a Wilson for my Custom II. The finish is really good on my pistol, it only shows a very faint 'rookie' mark!lol. I'll have to check out Ben's Loans. I work fairly near to them. Have you checked out Champion Arms in Kent? If you have, what do you think of them? I've used their indoor range and bought a few guns from them but would like to hear someone else's opinion of them.

Congrats on the pistol!

Manda in Kent

·
Registered
55 Posts
5" Custom TLE

My Custom TLE .45 does have the better finish of all my other Kimbers but My H&K USP Compacts have a much better finish like the finish on Glocks they really hold up good.

I looked at the new Kimber SAS and it seems to have a really good finish.:)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Glad to hear that Kimber is doing something about the poor finishs of their 1911s of past. My 4" Tac Pro II came with a really poor finish it's wearing off in places. My 3" Ultra Carry looks like it got the black stove treatment. Even my 5" Custom TLE does not have a truly good looking finish.

They all came with IMHO worthless Mags I went with Wilson Combat Mags and am vey happy I did. Kimber should ship all their 1911s with the new Tac Mag. and not the cheap one that don't work well.

My new Para LDA came with two really quality Mags and they work well.

I want to have faith in Kimber but it's not been easy the past five years since I bought all three of mine.
I have to disagree with everything you have said , Kimber in my book are the best makers besides colt for the 1911 45 plat form . And i have own 17 through out the years i currently own 4

all the mags work and the finish is great. Did you buy used guns??

:scool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kimber Gold Combat 2

haven't had a chance to check out champion arms yet but i will thanks for the information. As to the finish i agree it is definatly a step up from what i have seen in the past. Plus to answer another question have never bought a used gun not that there is anything wrong with that they would come broken in and ready to go. I have Speer Gold Dot ammo that i use for self protection seems to be a constant in law enf. The other 1911 I have is a CZ bobtail commander and it is great as well. Ben's cant seem to stay in stock with them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
NIB about five years ago

I have to disagree with everything you have said , Kimber in my book are the best makers besides colt for the 1911 45 plat form . And i have own 17 through out the years i currently own 4

all the mags work and the finish is great. Did you buy used guns??
:scool:
=====
Here are my 3"&4" when new does this look like a really quality finish to you?

kimbers11260645s34g7jpg.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now look at the finish on my two H&Ks this is a quality finish IMHO.

HKuspComp.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
=====
Here are my 3"&4" when new does this look like a really quality finish to you?

kimbers11260645s34g7jpg.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now look at the finish on my two H&Ks this is a quality finish IMHO.

HKuspComp.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Did you buy them used ? If not is your gundealer honest ? I dont think any fine pistol maker would ship out guns with a finish like this , Why did you buy them ? You simply could have sent them back because you were unhappy with the finish i would have refused to take them and sent them back to Kimber!!!!

I also own 2 H&K's and i like them also but thats off the topic of what I was saying.

·
Registered
55 Posts
NIB

They were new in box these were what Kimber were building five years ago.:sad2: I wanted a small 1911 .45acp then wanted a few larger ones.:09:
I am not big on sending guns back because of finish problems just mechanical problems.

You just learn to live with little items and put more of your time getting your 1911s to shoot everytime the trigger is pulled.:)

My new Para is my first stainless handgun and this is the way I think one should go for a carry gun.:)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
See I agree with some of your last post (the part about the gun going bang every time) but when you are paying good money for a firearm considerd high quaility you should only accept the best. when i shell out my dough i am picky because i am paying a larger amount for the gun to be better

·
Registered
55 Posts
The real costs involved

See I agree with some of your last post (the part about the gun going bang every time) but when you are paying good money for a firearm considerd high quaility you should only accept the best. when i shell out my dough i am picky because i am paying a larger amount for the gun to be better
===
Well say you have $800 in the new 1911 then you shoot the first 500 rounds at todays $30 for 100 .45 230gr FMJ Ball of WWB at WalMart you have $150+Tax invested. Say you have a FTF or FTE problem and you send the gun back to the Mfg. Now you have say $35 in FedX. Then you get the gun back and you shoot another 500 rounds. Now you have $335 invested on top of your $800 you paid for the 1911. Now you have $1150 invested.

That Ammo. you shoot is a big part of what it costs to make sure your carry 1911 is good to go.

You give up and trade it off or sell it outright you take a big hit much bigger then many people really think about what they get rid of any 1911.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
What your saying makes no sense. I am talking about when you first saw the guns ! You should have had them sent back!

I also know how to break in a gun, thats something you do AFTER you buy it AFTER it gets to YOU in GOOD shape with a GOOD FINNISH!

AFTER the BREAK IN thats considerd normal wear and tear on any firearm!

By the Way , i have NEVER had a FTF from any Kimber I have Shoot or owned , After the 500 round BREAK IN PERIOD !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey I see a handgun and I like it I buy it I have bought many like this. Just bought a Para LDACWX7.45 I just wanted to give it a go. same a year ago with the two H&Ks never fired any of them before buying. Hey I bought a Leica DUOVID 10+15X50 Binocular best price $2500 Could not find them local or even in my State so I bought sight unseen. I could have bought many others for half the price. But I wanted the Leica. And I have no regrets. Same with all my handgun and ARs I have bought. No regrets.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I thought they all looked great and besides there Kimbers. What more can you say .

My neigbhor hollered at me last week to come to his shop, so I mozzy on over.
There before him on his work bench was a Kimber 1911 stainless. (Didn't notice what model) that he had completely taken a part (My neigbor is a shade tree Gun Smith)
The Kimber belonged to one of his co-workers and my neigbbor was cleaning it up.
This gun was the dirtyest gun I've ever seen in my life !!!
I hung around to see what the pistol looked like after it was cleaned up.
My neighbor owns afew Colt 1911's and the Kimber is so much better made than any of his Colts, the Kimber looked new when he finished cleaning it and the gun is so tight meaning in tolerance's.
It was his 1st. Kimber he ever handled and was awstruck on how well made this one was compared to his Colts.
He said he was going to try to buy it from the guy who had bought it New and then sold it to a guy and then bought it back because the guy needed some money.
There well made 1911's...A.H

1 - 20 of 22 Posts