Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Kimber sporterized M96 Swedish Mauser in the original 6.5x55 caliber. I'm not sure if it's the original barrel though, as it's stainless steel. Does anyone have any additional info about Kimber's M96s. Thanks, Ed

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Maybe it is just built on a Swede receiver? Are there any markings on the barrel or receiver?

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I don't mean to sound quite so dumb here...but I don't know just what markings are on the receiver(or barrel) as I've not yet taken possession of the rifle. Here's the info I had when I decided to purchase it. I do know that Kimber did sell quite a few of these M96s, but don't know a great deal about them. This link is all I have reference this particular rifle:
GunsAmerica - Kimber M 96 Mauser Sporter 6.5X55 - Kimber of America Rifles

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe it is just built on a Swede receiver? Are there any markings on the barrel or receiver?
Sorry to sound so dumb here, but I have no idea about receiver or barrel markings as I've not received the rifle as yet. Here's a link with a little more info and I know they did produce a good number of the sporterized M96s although I don't think they were neccessarily all in 6.5x55.

GunsAmerica - Kimber M 96 Mauser Sporter 6.5X55 - Kimber of America Rifles

thanks, Ed

·
Registered
828 Posts
I recently purchased a Kimber sporterized M96 Swedish Mauser in the original 6.5x55 caliber. I'm not sure if it's the original barrel though, as it's stainless steel. Does anyone have any additional info about Kimber's M96s. Thanks, Ed

I had heard that kimber was refinishing the old swede mausers and spoorterizing them a while back. I would bet the barrel has been changed. I don't think any of the old mil surp rifle had stainless barrels. Please post pictuers if you can. I would like to see the rifle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kimber Sporterized Swede M96

When Kimber offered these sporterized Swedish Mausers some had a nickel finish applied the the barreled action others were blued. All their 6.5X55 barrels that I saw had the name "Kimber" and the Oregon address stamped on the side. They used military barrels turned down, shortened and recrowned. I've heard many people confuse the nickel finish with stainless steel but never saw a stainless steel barrel from them in 6.5X55. On one of mine the barrel serial number matches the receiver but not all of them do. They generally shoot pretty good.

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When Kimber offered these sporterized Swedish Mausers some had a nickel finish applied the the barreled action others were blued. All their 6.5X55 barrels that I saw had the name "Kimber" and the Oregon address stamped on the side. They used military barrels turned down, shortened and recrowned. I've heard many people confuse the nickel finish with stainless steel but never saw a stainless steel barrel from them in 6.5X55. On one of mine the barrel serial number matches the receiver but not all of them do. They generally shoot pretty good.
Thanks for the additional info. The idea of the barrel getting a nickel finish makes a lot more sense than it's being SS. I'm anxiously awaiting my opportunity to pick it up from my FFL holder and have several boxes of ammo awaiting a range session. I'll try to get back here with a range report soon. If it's a shooter, there may also be a new stock in it's future as well. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts