Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I shot about 150 rds through it today. Not as many malfunctions as I thought there might be being a new gun. The factory Kimber mag that came with the gun wasn't too bad. The guy in the gun store I bought it from said that the factory Kimber mags aren't that good and I should upgrade them. When I mentioned Wilson Combat he kinda got a scrunched look on his face and said he didn't really like them. He suggested Kimber tactical mags. I will have to look into it. He also mentioned I think he said Chip McCormic, and

I think I will upgrade, as there were a few feed problems. But all in all, it was a good shooter. It took a few shots to warm up a little before the groups started to get tighter. Ejection wasn't too bad either. It tended to eject spent rounds for the most part straight up and slightly to the right and most landed near my feet. A couple bounced off me and the gun while I was shooting it, but that wasn't bothersome. There was one failed extraction, where I shot, and the spent case ended up doing a 180 and had the empty hole pointing backwards stuck in the chamber and slide. That was interesting...

I am not a competition shooter or anything like that, but I was able to do some semi-rapid firing quite accurately, hitting about a 6 or 7 inch round swinging gong sitting on the ground pretty steadily. The loads weren't factory loaded stuff. Hand loaded, lighter loads. Clays powder 4gr shooting 200gr Gold Mtn. JFP (jacketed flat point) with COL (collective overall length) 1.2". I would like to experiment with various different COL, as my Para I traded in on this Kimber wouldn't have anything to do with any COL that wasn't close to factory loaded COL.

The gun has checkering on the front strap of the frame as well as the plastic, (yes, its plastic) mainspring housing. It is quite comfy to shoot and easy to control especially with lighter loads. The grips are like Hogue rubberized grips, except there are no finger grooves, or anything for that matter, that would cover up the front strap checkering on the frame. They have a diamond pattern on them. The beavertail grip safety has a memory pad on it so the way I hold my grip I make good firm contact. The sights are typical 3 dot, a dull white, but they are night sights. They have a nice glow in the dark. I don't reckon they are adjustable either.

As far as disassembly goes to field strip and clean, its not too bad. There is a little L shaped tool about the diameter of a paperclip that goes in a hole in the guide rod that compress the recoil spring when the slide is locked back. Not a bad trick as there is no barrel bushing. Its a bull barrel design. It has a full length guide rod, which I think helps to keep it a little smoother, not having the spring go all over and rub on stuff inside the dust cover of the frame. It has really

The only things I think I am going to do to this gun is get an ambi safety for it so I can practice shooting ambidextrously, as well as an extended slide release. I have to rotate my grip ever so slightly to comfortably reach the slide release with my thumb as is, as I am a right handed shooter. Plus it will give me just a little more leverage to release the slide. Then I will probably hand make some nice wood grips either from cumaru or curly maple, that way I can modify them accordingly because I don't want to modify these rubberized ones to fit an extended slide release. The extended slide release will fit over top of these rubber ones, but I would prefer a little bit more clearance.

The only other thing I think that may have been neat on this gun would be front serrations on the slide, and some higher end mags. For $860 it just came with 1 mag and a giant carry case. I could fit another gun in it, but they could have put in some neat accessory type things like Springfield armory does or something cool like that where theres a small holster and mag carrier. I think thats what they do. But I only saw it at a glance in a different gun store. They have some things you can send in for nice rosewood grips. Owell. If anyone has questions please ask, I'll do what I can to answer them.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Hi Colonel, I too am a Kimber shooter, You have made a great purchase, It sounds like this was your first trip to the range with that gun ? and if so , I was confused as to why you were already messing around with reloads, they could be the source of all the problems, anyway as I said I think you made a good buy on the gun and YES YES upgrade your mags to the new Kimber tacticals I have used them alot and have never had a mag caused problem with them...... Nice gun :)

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reloads were just loaded up and sitting around. Have to get rid of it somehow, when my other .45 is needing a trip to the shop. But I probly won't change anything else then with the reloads since those shot nicely. Maybe load them closer to factory ballistics because thats what would be coming out of them if I carry it.

I re-read my post I made, and it was unprofessional with some typos. My buddy was hurrying me so yea, sorry. And where is the best place to buy the Kimber Tac mags?

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
If it were me, I would never break in any gun using reloads, no matter what period!
That's just me though. Give us a report the next time you ga and this time buy some high end ammo. In fact, try a box of Hornady TAP through it or a Box of some other brand in either 200 or 230Gr.. Bet you see and feel a huge difference in the guns performance...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mags

I got one of the Kimber high-end magazines. I think they are worth the bucks. They are solid, load easier than the Kimber standard mags, and so far mine feeds flawlessly. I want to get a couple more.

I have also had some extractions that came back on my head. I think it might have something to do with variable wrist pressure on my part. I intend to keep an eye on that. I have been using FMJ 230 commercial reloads for the break-in period. I have not had a single failure with them.

The trigger on my Eclipse Pro II is the best I have experienced on any 1911. I presume your trigger is equally crisp and clean.

Good luck continuing. You certainly have a premier pistol to shoot with!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Iron congrats on the Kimber purchase. :) I have a full size CDP and love it. I have heard the Kim Tac mags are good but have not tried any of them so I am grateful you talked about those. I use the wilson mags and have had excellent luck with them.
Just as a idea you may want to get your mags ingraved with your name and date incase you ever goto a match or something. Change the springs out every 4 years and you should be in good shape.
Be sure and read your owners manual as well.....don't be suprised if you do start to have some F.T.F and F.T.E. before you reach the 500. I think mine started around the 300 mark and ended about 420 or so. Just do not get discouraged as these Kimbers are pretty tight and need that 500 to get broke in.
Again congrats on the purchase !!!!

·
Banned
165 Posts
Nothing Wrong With Wilsons-

The reloads were just loaded up and sitting around. Have to get rid of it somehow, when my other .45 is needing a trip to the shop. But I probly won't change anything else then with the reloads since those shot nicely. Maybe load them closer to factory ballistics because thats what would be coming out of them if I carry it.

I re-read my post I made, and it was unprofessional with some typos. My buddy was hurrying me so yea, sorry. And where is the best place to buy the Kimber Tac mags?
I own a dozen or so Wilsons, easy to clean with the removable base pad, the Chip McCormick mags are so so as long as the bottom plate doesn't unweld!

Take a look at the 21st Century 1911 mags
Tripp Research, INC. 1911 Magazine Info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts