Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what weight the standard recoil springs are on Kimber 45s? I have the plane, jane, "Custom" model.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I don't know for sure but when I bought mine I replaced the factory spring with an 18.5 pound spring and the slide was much harder to rack, so I'd guess about a 16 pounder or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pumpkin for the info. I'm toying with the idea or changing out my recoil spring. My new Kimber has about 400 rds thru is so far and still has the nasty habit of wanting to jam now and then.......between the 5 - 7th round in the magazine. I have varied the load and tried Wilson, Colt, Kimber and a couple of other make clips?

I've seen a lot of .45s that were a little cranky about what they wanted to feed on but usually there was some rhyme or reason to it. This problem seems to follow no particular logic.

I can load the same ammo in the clip and jack it thru manually and it feeds perfectly. Something going on with the last few rounds in the clip. Why in the world changing clips has no effect on the problem baffles me.

The "jam" by the way, is sort of a modified "stove pipe" where bullet goes up instead of into the chamber.

Only bullet I've tried so far is 230 gr ball. Any of you wizards out there know how to exorcize this beast will forever be on my "I owe you a beer" list.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
My Kimber has never failed except for when I screwed up some hand loads that were too short. It feeds ball, hollow points and even semi wadcutters without problems. I put in the heavier spring in because I keep it loaded with +p cor bon's most of the time and I'm trying to save a little wear on it.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
By the way have you tried shooting star mags, thats what I use in my kimber.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts