Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my girlfriend says that she'll buy me any gun i want (within reason i.e. mp-5 doesn't count) and i'm thinking of kimber. i wanted to know what the major differences were between the base model kimber and the fancier versions, and if the difference was really that noticable. if i can fight the nicotine cravings for 6 months, i'll have a nice new .45 and a pair of healthy pink lungs to soak up all that gunpowder smoke. thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, and any springfield experience / critiques are appreciated too. i'v eheard good stuff about them as being pretty good and a little cheaper.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
They are both great pistols. I own a Kimber Custom Royal make at the old plant in Clackamus, OR. They are now made in Yonkers, NY. I think the Kimber is a sweet shooter. The Springfield's are also ecxellent and will in general be easier on your pocket book. You won't go wrong with either brand.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,011 Posts
I was able to shoot a compact .45ACP Kimber at the range today.
I was very impressed - nice pistol! The 3" barrel and short grip made it a handful, but it shot right where I aimed, and didn't bruise my hand like my Colt 1991A1 does. That upswept beavertail really works! Balance was superb.
I may have just found my new carry piece . . . ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have owned several Kimbers, all series I guns and have never had any problems with any of them. As far as your question goes, well with a base Classic Custom you will get a match grade barrel, fixed sights, single sided safety, beavertail, extanded mag release, rubber grips, and the basic other features, front cocking serrations, high cut grip on frame etc. When you start looking at other models just get other features like adjustable sights, ambi safety, blued finish. You will not get any extra fitting until you get to the Gold Match, Gold Combat or Super Match.
Then you have the Custom Shop guns, or limited run guns that offer front strap checkering, night sights, magwells etc.
The base gun are nice, I like the TLE (LA SWAT Model) with the night sights and front strap checking.
I currently have a series I Custom Royal.
Springfields are also nice guns, have the same features. Their TRP is a very nice gun. It is a production copy of the FBI HRT/SWAT gun the Professional model which is a custom made gun and runs around $2300. The TRP can be had for a $1000 less. It is not hand fitted but still a nice gun.
You might also want to check out the S&W SW1911.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
i have shot two kimbers, a gov. and a compact composit frame, the compaosit frame was really sweet.
I have two springfields love them both no work needed they both function fine. one is a gov. the other a champion.
i have a 1943 ithica gun 1911 i carry this one alot i just like her.
i also have four rock islands all really nice shooters the last one took a lil work on polishing the chamber but it is now my go to work gun. small light 45 and not a bank buster if it gets scratched up.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I just added another 1911 to the vault - the 3rd Kimber. So the Kimcount is now at three and includes a hi-cap BP Ten II, a Custom II Tactical, and now the Eclipse. I'm usually not one for shiney guns, they make good targets, but that finish trick on the Eclipse just got the best of me I guess? I saw a new Springfield just last week with a finish similar to the Kimber Eclipse.
Overall the Kims are great shooters, I haven't had any gripes yet? In fact the Custom II was so good the first time I put it on paper that I changed a couple of minor things, moved the Laser Grips from the other 1911 that I had been carrying most of the time and put the Custom II up for daily carry work. The big factor in the descision to put it to work was the grouping - tighter than any 1911 I have or have ever had - but I haven't had a chance to get the Eclipse on paper yet. If it's as good, that's cool but it's too shiney to carry.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Good gun Tc300.....good gun.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
My kimber has never failed me. It's the series one classic custom. I've won several pin shoots with it. Good made in america product, I highly recomend Kimber.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pumkin

Don't what to cause and uproar but some of those parts in your american made gun are MIM parts from Israel.
BUL is the company that makes some of the MIM parts for Kimber and they also make their polymer frames for them.
Hey I am not slamming it, I have a Series I Kimber Royal Classic myself....never have had a problem either.

http://www.bultransmark.com/index2.htm

·
Tradehawker LLC / www.tradehawker.com / Jn 17:17
2,041 Posts
Kimbers are great but I highly reccomend the original series not the Series II pistols with the horribly designed and sub-standard performing "Shwartz" firing pin safety.

The Series II Kimbers are cursed with this firing pin safety. It is unreliable and several dealers I have spoken to are dumping Kimbers from their product line. Removing the "Shwartz" safety will rectify the problem and get the pistol up to speed, but adds unwanted liability to the owner. Kimber's customer support is spotty at best, most problems are answered with "shoot 500 rounds of ball ammunition..."

I consider the original series Kimbers one of my best buys EVER! These early pistols were hand built with Caspian slides and frames. I love my Kimber Original Classic Stainless... here's a link...
www.geocities.com/incrediheel/kimber.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts