close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kit Building

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mike the JAG, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Mike the JAG

Mike the JAG G&G Newbie

Just how hard is it to build a rifle from a kit? Any special tools needed? A sophisticated shop? Any tips, suggestions for someone thinking about trying it?

2. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Mike, go to ArizonaResponseSystems.com Mark Graham has a video and book available. I have never used it, but hear it's great. Also, visit falfiles.com great site, all FAL's There are people who get together and build FAL's. You might find someone to help you.

3. The FAL is the easiest main battle rifle for an individual to build and maintain. On my first two builds, I used the following tools:

6 inch bench vise
    27mm open end wrench
    2 three-foot by 3/16 inch rods (for barrel timing)
    308 Win headspace gage set
    screwdrivers
    homemade buttstock tool that cost $4
    Pin gage assortment (for measuring headspace)

The first one I built took half a day using the DSA exploded diagram. The next two took a couple of hours. Now I can build one from the ground up in less than an hour.

A receiver wrench and a barrel vise make building much easier. But unless you are going to build a bunch, the cost of these tools is not recovered.

In the USA to build one legally, you must comply with Title 18 Sec 922 (AW ban). this means you will have to replace six parts with US-made ones from F-Troop's list, to wit:

(1) Receivers
    (2) Barrels
    (3) Barrel extensions (DNA)
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunions) (DNA)
    (5) Muzzle attachments
    (6) Bolts
    (7) Bolt carriers
    (8) Operating rods***
    (9) Gas pistons
    (10) Trigger housings
    (11) Triggers
    (12) Hammers
    (13) Sear
    (14) Disconnectors (DNA)
    (15) Buttstocks
    (16) Pistol grips
    (17) Forearms, handguards
    (18) Magazine bodies
    (19) Followers
    (20) Floorplates

(DNA) - does not apply to FAL
    *** Charging Handle

Furthermore, if you leave the muzzle threaded, you must replace it with a US made muzzle device that (a) does not act as a "flash hider" by F-Troop's definition, and (b) does not accept those evil rifle grenades sold at the corner hardware store (it must be greater than 22 mm in diameter). This muzzle device must be blind pinned or soldered on with hi-temp solder.

HTH.

4. Mike the JAG

Mike the JAG G&G Newbie

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the information.