Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,868 Posts
Well, gotta remember, in 1962 that $70 rifle could represent half or more of a month's salary! A buck was more then, but folks didn't get as many.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Ha! My type of thread. I would like to have one of each and see what I could make on them now!! What I like about the "old days" is prices didn't go up every time ya turned around. Love those milsurp prices too. Now often big collectors items and the prices sure reflect it. Sure am glad I never swapped my dad's 98k bringback for that Ruger 10/22 I was haunting him for in the 60s!!!

·
Premium Member
19,787 Posts
In 1957 may folks purchased a 3 bedroom ranch with basement for $12,900.

In ‘62 he bought an Argentine Mauser for $29.00 Then had the stock cut down, barrel shortened, bolt bent down and bottom half of the bolt ball cut off, sling swivel filled in and a Williams peep sight installed for an $50.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I bought a sporterized Enfield 30-06 with a scope from a mail order catalog in 1965 for $49.95. Sent in an order with a PO money order and my rifle came in the mail about two weeks later.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Bought a M1 carbine through the police dept from an arsonel. Came delivered to my front door for $49.00, This was in 1971. Was a Winchester and I carried it in the front seat of my patrol car for 20 years. Only used it once on two burglars coming out of the back door of a drug store, like 0300 hrs. Stepped off pavement and sank butt deep in mud. Shot one round above door making them go back in till I got out of mud. Arrested both of them. Best burglar I ever caught and he asked me from back seat of patrol car. Officer, I'm on leave from the Navy, do you think the navy will find out about this. I asked him if he was familiar with the word Leavenworth?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,868 Posts
As a young kid, I drooled over the mail order guns in the Sears and Roebuck catalog. Good times, long gone.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
Interesting, indeed. Surprised to see the M1 selling for that much in 1962.

·
Premium Member
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember around 1980 to about 85. I would stop in my travels with work van at Woolworth store. Barrels of about any rifle from the military. I used to buy Mauser, Enfield , Mosin , Carcano and many other rifles cheap. I don't even recall doing the paperwork or any background check then. I used to pull the rifles from the barrels one by one and look at the condition and markings. Back then I didn't have all the books for markings and which were more collectable and so forth. Not much info or computers. If I would have known which to buy then like the sniper rifles and certain arsenals and marks. Hell I remember the M1 Garand's and M1 Carbines were a few dollars more and that was a whole lot of money back then. Many Ii would pass on. Wish I knew then what I know now.

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
Klein's was the main source for a handgun or a hunting rifle. The Far Left Democrats were blaming guns for JFKs assassination. Oswald purchased a Carcano rifle from Klein's. The Left destroyed Klein's and the Mail Order gun purchases. To this day they are not sure what rifle was used to kill JFK? But we Americans lost more of our freedom?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,122 Posts
Klein's was the main source for a handgun or a hunting rifle. The Far Left Democrats were blaming guns for JFKs assassination. Oswald purchased a Carcano rifle from Klein's. The Left destroyed Klein's and the Mail Order gun purchases. To this day they are not sure what rifle was used to kill JFK? But we Americans lost more of our freedom?
Gotta call you on this, Jim. Look at the third rifle down on the left. That's the model Oswald used to shoot Kennedy. Bought a hundred rounds of ammo from them at the same time, too. This was established in the Warren Commission report, which I think had the FBI check Klein's sales records as part of the evidence gathering. They also had the invoice that they found among Oswald's possessions. There is no doubt he bought the Carcano from Klein's. The rifle is in the National Archives, though I do not believe it is on display.

You are right that after the assassination, the Jackass Partei started moving to make it difficult to impossible to order a firearm and have it delivered by mail. Their evil work culminated in the Gun Control Act of 1968, signed into law by Lyndon Johnson.

As far as "Was that Carcano capable of doing what Oswald did with it, firing three aimed shots at a moving vehicle and hitting what he pointed at?" goes, the History Channel went to Australia in 2013 and put it to the test.

Oswald qualified as a Sharpshooter when he served in the Marines. The History Channel retained the services of a retired Australian Army sniper as the shooter, and spent a fair bit of time and money to track down and purchase a rifle from the same lot that provided Oswald's gun, equipped by Klein's with the same model scope Oswald's rifle has. They also went to an ammunition collector and purchased, at a high price, a box of the same Italian milsurp ammunition used by Oswald. They erected a scaffolding tower the exact height of the window Oswald fired from. They used a medical teaching mannequin, not a cadaver, used in Australian medical schools to play the role of Kennedy. They even brought in a studio fan and set it to provide the same airflow over the limousine, the same Lincoln Continental Model 74A convertible as Kennedy was riding in, although it did not have the stretching the Secret Service gave Kennedy's car. The car was placed at the same distance from the scaffolding tower as the presidential limo had been from the Book Depository. They replicated the conditions of the assassination as closely as it is possible to do.

Bottom line? The Aussie ex-sniper had no trouble hitting the mannequin in the head with the Carcano rifle shooting military surplus ammo. Eerily, the chunk of skull that landed on the rear deck of the presidential limo in 1963 also happened in the Australian recreation of the assassination. Gave the team the willies. But that test put any question about whether the Carcano and Oswald did what the Zapruder Film shows they did to rest. He did it. The rifle was capable of doing it. Case closed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts