Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a possible EDC similar to this. I would like to carry it at 6 o'clock and would prefer a leather sheath. The biggie for me is that it is thin from spine to edge. I'd also prefer horizontal carry similar to the one shown. Anyone have any suggestions.

Sleeve Line Tread Font Wood

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions.
Pick your knife and have someone make you the sheath. Or check the link below an Scroll down until you see the Scout Carry section and follow the link in the story.

Then Google Scout Carry and see all the nice options in leather and kydex. Note: is a finders fee on the table ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm looking for a possible EDC similar to this. I would like to carry it at 6 o'clock and would prefer a leather sheath. The biggie for me is that it is thin from spine to edge. I'd also prefer horizontal carry similar to the one shown. Anyone have any suggestions.

View attachment 175986
Like that style of carry myself for a fixed blade. Am still waitin on that Trident fixed FX model due out soon. Sheath is Kydex with a changeable clip for different types of carry I believe. Around a 4 inch blade with OD green sheath and grip. More of a tactical/defense job knife though. Has tension adjusters for blade removal.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is that a SOG?
Yep. Check it out if ya think it might appeal to you. Heard under $100 which is usually my limit. Like the way the kydex sheath belt clip can be rotated for different carry including backpacks. Hopefully Blade Headquarters or SmokeyMountain Knives will have em. Often cheaper on their prices at Smokey Mountain. Only $75 for my Trident spring assist with D-2 steel.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Arm Leg Sleeve Flash photography Waist

Animalspooker, note the variance in carry position, then look at the right hand and what she is holding...
That was an Ah Ha moment for me because I carry my firearm on my right side and if a situation crops up, I would rather draw my pistol BUT if the knife was a left had draw I would have much quicker access to a second weapon. Go over some scenarios in your mind and weigh the best option for you.
Imagine you had to draw your pistol (right handed) then the situation required you to draw your knife (right handed)...you would have to shift your pistol to your left hand, draw your knife right handed but your a better shot right handed so you would have to fumble trying to switch weapons around quickly.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
View attachment 176757

Animalspooker, note the variance in carry position, then look at the right hand and what she is holding...
That was an Ah Ha moment for me because I carry my firearm on my right side and if a situation crops up, I would rather draw my pistol BUT if the knife was a left had draw I would have much quicker access to a second weapon. Go over some scenarios in your mind and weigh the best option for you.
Imagine you had to draw your pistol (right handed) then the situation required you to draw your knife (right handed)...you would have to shift your pistol to your left hand, draw your knife right handed but your a better shot right handed so you would have to fumble trying to switch weapons around quickly.
Have you ever had to fight with two different weapons in each hand? Try it. The best practice is with two Sai. We trained with them and they are fine for learning balance and movement. But if you have a gun in one hand and you start moving around to slash or Thrust with the knife, every time you point the gun at a,person it may be a crime., not to mention the risk. We have used some situationnsvwhere an officer will carry two guns, on strong side and one just as if the person was left handed. They can both be drawn and used, one in each hand. But when one of them must be used to slash or thrust you lose control of the gun, or you cannot properly use the knife.

Personally if I were sent out to arrest a person and ghey had a gun in one hand and a knife in the other, I would not fear them as much as a person with just one weapon. From a cop perspective you would be a nutjob,and probably shot early on. And if you did defend yourself and had both out and both cut,and shot an attacker, how you gonna explain that? Minimum force? If you used two weapons? Just saying, having two weapons is a goid idea. Pulling them both at once is not. Why not just carry a second tiny 380 or something like that.?

Opinions vary. I have a variety of knives that I carry. It us just using both at once that raises alarms. And if the other guy shot you and he explained to your jury that you were coming at him with multiple weapons, that is hard to defend.

try these

Sleeve Gesture Elbow Shotgun Recreation

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Opinions vary. I have a variety of knives that I carry. It us just using both at once that raises alarms. And if the other guy shot you and he explained to your jury that you were coming at him with multiple weapons, that is hard to defend.
I agree in the scenario you described. As for me, I do not plan to be the aggressor, would only pull a knife if it would be the right item to use where cutting or slashing would be required. I also do not subscribe to Crocodile Dundee's famous line - "you call that a knife, this IS a knife" and sometimes a smaller instrument is more effective. I carry a pocket knife in my right pocket, very hard to extract if you are needing to use your right hand for work or defense.
Way back in my younger years I took martial arts while stationed in Korea, and we practiced with swords and Sai's and understand balance. I can't move like I did back then. However, in my older years, I will use a multitude of DNA collection techniques to ensure law enforcement can find the perps. Blood, skin, or flesh are key components to a crime scene (and hopefully they're not all mine if you know what I mean Vern).

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I agree in the scenario you described. As for me, I do not plan to be the aggressor, would only pull a knife if it would be the right item to use where cutting or slashing would be required. I also do not subscribe to Crocodile Dundee's famous line - "you call that a knife, this IS a knife" and sometimes a smaller instrument is more effective. I carry a pocket knife in my right pocket, very hard to extract if you are needing to use your right hand for work or defense.
Way back in my younger years I took martial arts while stationed in Korea, and we practiced with swords and Sai's and understand balance. I can't move like I did back then. However, in my older years, I will use a multitude of DNA collection techniques to ensure law enforcement can find the perps. Blood, skin, or flesh are key components to a crime scene (and hopefully they're not all mine if you know what I mean Vern).
The problem for all of us older folks is that while we might excell in physical performance over our peers, and we may have been the strongest and fastest in the room, age takes that away. Our mugger today may be three guys and each of them will be armed. One will have a gun, maybe more than one.Rare but they could all three have knives. During my martial arts days I loved to fight guys with knives because most of them focused only on knife techniques. They were pretty easy to put down. Now have two guys attack. Well you can win but you are going to get cut.17 year old thugs do not need any training with knives, they are all a death threat.

Now fast forward 50 years. Your speed and agility are gone. Any 17 year old is faster than you. The only way to survive attacks is by superior tools, guns. I do not care if there are five guys, an armed and trained old man who can shoot and duck and dive has a good chance of survival. With a knife no. Now make that a machete, the odds go up, unless the attackers have one gun. Choice of weapons rules. Knives are cool I have dozens, but they should never come out until everything else has failed.

I have seen a guy slashed across the belly and his guts fell out onto a pool table, pretty graphic, I was on the other side of that table. I have investigated cases where a guy,was stabbed deep into a lung, probably with an ice pick or screwdriver, we never found out. Those things happen quick, but guns are quicker. And people who are cut do not just stop fighting many just keep going. That noisy gun lets them know things have changed.

Knives have no place in a gun fight unless you have lost you gun and you are in a hospice made.

Anyway my two vests.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts