Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a rifle that started out as a Krag 1898 Rifle, the barrel was shortened and the builder used what appears to be an Enfield front sight assembly and mated it to the rifle. The action on these Krag rifles is butter smooth and nicely fit and finished. The rear sight is a micro adjustable sight any info on it is appreciated.

20210606_1898KragRS.jpg
20210606_1898KragRSactionmagbox.jpg
20210606_1898KragMicrometerSight.jpg
20210606_1898KragActionLS.jpg
20210606_1898KragEnfieldFS.jpg

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
The rear sight looks like a standard 1901 pattern sight from the side, but that front sight is crazy.

After a couple of quick searches online, I couldn't find anything like that. Krags with Mauser sights aren't uncommon - the Nazis made Krags at Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk with Mauser sights and stocks constructed like an Arisaka's.

I found one American Krag sporter with Mauser sights, one with P-14/M-1917 sights, and several with various sporter sights (the coolest was a Westley-Richards model).

The only British/Krag connections I could find is that Steyr built a limited number of rifles in .303 Brit (Engelske), but I can't find a "why" or even a picture of one. I know Steyr made some Krags specifically for the hunting market, and .303 was fairly popular among Europeans and white Africans for hunting. I can't even find out if these "Engelske" rifles were in military or sporting configuration, though.
The other thing is that it looks like we sent just a few Krags to England in WWI.

It would be cool if this was some sort of heretofore unknown martial substitute-standard stopgap. Chances are this was just a gunsmith or home builder making something workable out of spare parts.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
t would be cool if this was some sort of heretofore unknown martial substitute-standard stopgap. Chances are this was just a gunsmith or home builder making something workable out of spare parts.
I will have to take a look at it and look for stamps/marks and the British arrow, perhaps...

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
Have you shot it?

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Joe, I don't have any .30-40 Krag ammo on hand, it's got a nice bore and that bolt movement is butter smooth. It amazes me the level of fit and finish on rifles that were made over 120 years ago!

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
No Joe, I don't have any .30-40 Krag ammo on hand, it's got a nice bore and that bolt movement is butter smooth. It amazes me the level of fit and finish on rifles that were made over 120 years ago!
Now is a good time to get ammo for it. It seems to be one of the few plentiful calibers out there right now. If you own a 30-40 Krag, a 9.3 Mauser, a .450 Bushmaster, a 7.63 Mauser or a 6.5 Arisaka, now is your time to shine. I'm stockpiling these now for the shop, because they were near-unobtanium before the world went insane, and I was lucky to get a case or two of any of those per year.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Now is a good time to get ammo for it. It seems to be one of the few plentiful calibers out there right now. If you own a 30-40 Krag, a 9.3 Mauser, a .450 Bushmaster, a 7.63 Mauser or a 6.5 Arisaka, now is your time to shine. I'm stockpiling these now for the shop, because they were near-unobtanium before the world went insane, and I was lucky to get a case or two of any of those per year.
Got Any?! I'll buy!

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
That front sight gave me a chuckle.

Looks like I'm not the only one with that idea. Although I never carried it out. That was going to be part of my "Argentinian Elephant Rifle" build. A from scratch, kind of, build that was going to be either a 18" or 20" barreled carbine with a paramilitary look to it in .450Marlin. Based on a nice clean Argentinian 98 action I had gotten my hands on.
It would have served two purposes. First to hunt bear and wild hogs.
Second two walk through gun shows and irritate people with it.😁

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
That front sight gave me a chuckle.

Looks like I'm not the only one with that idea. Although I never carried it out. That was going to be part of my "Argentinian Elephant Rifle" build. A from scratch, kind of, build that was going to be either a 18" or 20" barreled carbine with a paramilitary look to it in .450Marlin. Based on a nice clean Argentinian 98 action I had gotten my hands on.
It would have served two purposes. First to hunt bear and wild hogs.
Second two walk through gun shows and irritate people with it.😁
I wish I had a picture of the bizarre M1917 Eddystone I saw at a gun show a few years ago. It was in a Monte Carlo stock that had a pistol grip added, had been converted to 7.62 NATO, had somehow been adapted to take AR-10 mags, and had some sort of German scope and pivoting mount system. The front and rear sights looked like the old Fulton peep sights used on Regulated Enfields. The thing was a marvel of gunsmithing and an absolute walking sin.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I wish .450 Bushmaster would go on sale. $2 a round + tax is the lowest I've seen it since this started. I found some bullets for it a few months back, so at least I can load it until I run out of powder. Store stock is in rough shape right now, I can't even track down the newest Sierra manual.

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
I wish .450 Bushmaster would go on sale. $2 a round + tax is the lowest I've seen it since this started. I found some bullets for it a few months back, so at least I can load it until I run out of powder. Store stock is in rough shape right now, I can't even track down the newest Sierra manual.
$28 for a box of 20 at the local Academy, a couple of weeks ago, and they had at least three cases worth on the shelf.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Wow! I've only seen it at one store locally, and it was full price. We don't have an Academy Sports unfortunately. Nothing has been showing up on AmmoSeek either.

ETA - just called Scheels. They do not have the Hornady Black, which is (as advertised) awesome in my AR. The regular is $38 a box plus tax. Too much.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
That's a nice looking rifle OP. I watched my friend drop an Elk using his Grandfather's sported Krag. He used the 180gr Silver Tip ammo and it wobbled a few yards and then laid down and expired. For an old open sighted war horse it sure shot good. It had, i'm assuming a Lyman peep sight on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts