Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This is my first post. I have recently come into possession of a sako finnbear l61r in excellent condition chambered for the 7mm rem mag.

I'm interested in making a few changes to the rifle:

1 hogue overmold full bedded stock - I have heard the hogue howa fits th l61r. Is this true? Is it an exact fit? If not what should I be aware of and could it affect accuracy? Suggestions on alternatives and specific models are welcome.

2 cut the barrel to 20 inches. I am not sure what the twist is in this gun (1:10?). Will cutting the barrel to 20 do anything to affect accuracy other than a decrease in velocity(which I am fine with)?

3 replace the redfield scope with a Zeiss fixed 4 power diavari scope. Any recommendations on scope rings, placement, etc?

Thank you all. This is setup to be a 0-500yd white tail/mule deer rifle.

·
Premium Member
23,961 Posts
Welcome to G&G. Just my opinion, but instead of cutting up a Sako Finnbear and destroying its value I think I would try to find something that suited my purpose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ChaZam,

I appreciate the note and can understand why one might have reservations cutting up such a fine rifle. However, I have plenty of firearms that have as much or more value than this particular finnbear... Including an identical finnbear in slightly better condition (wood isn't quite as scratched up and the Blueing is in slightly better condition). I love the L61R's action and would like to make it into a more practical rifle that fits my needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts