Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm looking at possibly in the next year or so doing a Mauser project. Basically looking to have a super fine condition military Mauser (like an M48) set up in full military configuration, but in the least expensive non corrosive full power caliber. That means 308/7.62 NATO, unless anyone has a better idea.

But I'd want sites to be standard irons and the stock to be military standard, complete with metal furniture and bayonet accomodations.

Any ideas of how to do this with highest quality and lowest expense?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Some of the small ring Spanish mausers were rechambered to .308 but they're unsuitable. Maybe some of the large rings were too, I don't know. Some F.N.'s were chambered in 30-06 you could have the chamber shortened to .308 but then you throw your steps off about 1/4 inch or so. If you can't find one already chambered for .308 your only other alternative is to rebarrel and reblue. Numrich has stepped mauser barrels but they're usually not fully chambered or not chambered at all. It's still gonna take a gunsmith to chamber and headspace it.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought about an FR8, might go that route at some point. But I'd still like to do a maximum quality 308 with a standard stock and bayo setup. Would definitely be a long term project, so there's time to get ideas and options together.

In case other posts didn't make it clear, I wouldn't be doing this for me ;)

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a good idea, what would be done for the sites then?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
rebel727 said:
Use your old ones. Any good gunsmith can install them on the new barrel.
thats what i was gona say, get a bbl from ER Shaw (they are close to you anyway) the can make it in the original spec in 308 and then just swap the sites and bayo lug.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,026 Posts
For a really good shooter, that would be the way to go. The .308 Israeli K98's generally have very worn bores. Not really worth the rather high prices they go for.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I used my friends sporter Spanish Mauser in 308 a year ago deer hunting. His is a great gun. Took a nice Doe with it. Yet he has done some nice modifications to it :right:

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
She never ceases to amaze me. She was handling the Mauser yesterday, just because she loved lookingat it...
And she likes the smell...
And she likes the dark, venerated wood stock.

So let's see, this project would cost about $100-150 for the rifle with bent bolt in good condition, and then about $130 for the barrel in 308. Then what, about $150 for the smithing? So we're talking about $400 for a fresh barreled professionally adjusted Mauser with full military features, that can fire surplus commonly available in the non-corrosive variety and a wide range of match ammo out there?

What's amazing is that I keep wanting to give her something really really nice, but she may be at least as happy with a completely stock one. Perhaps I should spend the money getting her a C&R FFL.

I just can't stop being amazed. Not only does she absolutely love guns with no prior experience besides single shots, but she's probably a crufflress at heart with a special taste for the full power variety.

Yes, I'm keeping her ;)

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,026 Posts
You keeping her? Just make sure she has good reason to keep You! ;)

You are indeed most fortunate - a young lady who's into milsurps! That is the find of a century! You'll be one of the few guys who will be happy to show your latest gunshow acquisition to your lady. Unless she trumps you with an even better one! :kinky:

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Although I realize, in the long run, you could put more into a project than what might be spent on a complete package I also echo the idea of getting a new or good condition used barrel and matching it with a mauser action.

Add a stock...any stock you wish....top it off with whatever optics you care for and you got the mauser you wished for.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Just be careful, once the sporter bug bites you can get carried away and we'll hafta start callin ya Bubba. :insane: :nod: I only wanted one and now I've got two with a third in the making and I spent waaaay more than I ever imagined.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are guns that are good for sporter projects, and guns who have a value that would be destroyed that way. The former is what I would use, and building on an action is an idea if it means using highest quality. As I said, labor of love...

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
BattleRifleG3 said:
There are guns that are good for sporter projects, and guns who have a value that would be destroyed that way. The former is what I would use, and building on an action is an idea if it means using highest quality. As I said, labor of love...
I'm not advocating destroying a complete rifle. I'm just saying you can get carried away with sporterizing. I spent prolly 700.00 on my 98 and over 1000.00 on my O3.(really don't wanna know exact figures) Definately was not my original intentions. I couldn't get a fraction of that for them if I were of a mind to sell them which I'm not. I didn't need an Obermeyer barrel for a deer rifle. I didn't need a Mike Stone target barrel for my O3. I didn't NEED a target rifle period! But I got one anyway. I should have thrown that piece of Spanish crap away when I found out how bad it was and the price tag on it is 550.00 IF I don't have anything else done other than what I told him to do already. That one I did have destroyed but I wanted a 308 shooter and it just wasn't capable of hitting a barn from the inside.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts