Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate >:)
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just toying around with the idea of a ladies only match shoot. How about handguns?...since that's all I have. Post up a list of your gun calibers so I can get a general idea of what type of shoot to have. We could also do categories.

What do you think?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'd probably shoot my better half's Ruger Blackhawk 9.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Texas T, I can't believe we've not had more interest in this... it's such a great idea! Maybe if you posted how it would "work", we might get a few more responses. I was all excited about this idea and now I'm bummed that no one seems interested. :disappointed:

·
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We'd all print out the same targets. There's some on this site already. Billy has a blog full of them and we could use his. We'd shoot from either 7 yards or 15 yards out. Only 5 shots. Take a picture of the target and post it up in this thread. We'd add up the totals and the one who has the most points would win. I can go more into detail in this later. Actually it wasn't my idea, SA approached me about it.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Actually it wasn't my idea, SA approached me about it.
I will not be held responsible for any ramblings given while in a drunken stupor.

You should probably send out an email and pm to all the lady members of this forum. Then set up the guidelines and post for them. Have your boyfriend, Chris, make them a sticky!

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
Texas T, I can't believe we've not had more interest in this... it's such a great idea! Maybe if you posted how it would "work", we might get a few more responses. I was all excited about this idea and now I'm bummed that no one seems interested. :disappointed:
out of 11,700 members 3 entered the last match i set up.
so dont feel too bad.
i know .
i couldnt %$#@!*& beleive it either!

what a buncha slugs.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
The most I ever had was about 5 participants. Go fig?

Everyone on here has a gun but no one has time to shoot in them? I don't know if its the uncertainty of ability, embarrassment or whatever the reason. I remember one poster talking about how it wouldn't be fair if he was shooting in a match with someone who had the proverbial $1200 gun with $300 optics while he was shooting a milsurp. You can discourage this thinking by running a milsurp class vs. a modern class; but that creates 6 classes and more of a headache so I didn't run it that way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
^Maybe this will take some of the "embarrassment" out of a ladies only match... I'm a new shooter and I can guarantee that I will not win! lol Ladies, you need to sign up for this... it could be a lot of fun and I think it would be a great "community builder" for us gals. OK... I've made my point... I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
The most I ever had was about 5 participants. Go fig?

Everyone on here has a gun but no one has time to shoot in them? I don't know if its the uncertainty of ability, embarrassment or whatever the reason. I remember one poster talking about how it wouldn't be fair if he was shooting in a match with someone who had the proverbial $1200 gun with $300 optics while he was shooting a milsurp. You can discourage this thinking by running a milsurp class vs. a modern class; but that creates 6 classes and more of a headache so I didn't run it that way.
thats why i said run what ya brung. .22l.r.
or milsurp
i dont care.
benchrest.
position.
anything!
and all of a sudden people want you to break it down into sub classes.
and then they dont participate anyway!:09:

maybe the girls will have better luck at it.
at least they seem motivated.
6 of them would beat our record!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am still interested in participating, although we are heading into a typical Midwest winter where targeting is regulated to running outside to fire off two or three quick shots at a time before racing back inside to get warm. All that shivering and arm flapping to keep warm sorta throws your aim off.

·
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Didn't want to start a new thread for this so...here's the rules:

This competition shoot is set up on the Honor System. Go to your local range and participate in the Class(es) you wish to shoot in. Have fun and shoot often. There are no entry fees.

Class I: Pistol; 10 yards, 5 shots per target.
Official Target Link: http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/Hunting/Targets/Midway Pistol target.pdf

Class II: Rifle-iron sights; 100 yards, 5 shots per target.
Official Target Link: http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/Hunting/Targets/Midway Rifle target.pdf

Class III: Rifle-scoped; 100 yds, 5 shots per target.
Official Target Link: http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/Hunting/Targets/Midway Rifle target.pdf

Rules: Five shots taken per target. Each participant may shoot as many times as they wish but may only submit one target per class per shooter. Family members and friends are encouraged to participate.

Grading: Targets will be graded on a points system from the center out. Each circumferential ring decreases in points with the center being 10 points. Targets will be graded on best grouping in case of a tie.

Time Limit: To be decided.
Entry: Targets to be scanned and posted in the results thread.
Targets must include following info in one of the corners:

G&G Member Name
Your guest's name if applicable
Category
Weapon type/caliber

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ummmmm......Make that time limit generous, guys. PLEEESE? Today it was 30 some odd degrees with a nice brisk wind. When we got home from work it was raining...and COLD. They are calling for rain and snow over the next week to 10 days, not exactly great outdoor target weather around here.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Horray! Ladies match shoot is a go. :) Raining here this week, too. I missed the one clear day this week to hit the range and I'm kickin' myself for it. Oh well, there's always next week. It'll be cold but I guess that's why the good Lord gave us long johns. lol

·
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The time limit will be quite broad because I have the worst schedule. I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna do it working 80 hours a week with one day off per week.

·
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
YIKES! When do you sleep w/ a schedule like that?!?
All I do is work and when I'm not working I'm sleeping. I have been to bed several times this month at 7pm. I wake up at 430am.

·
Registered
14,134 Posts
I just moved to a new house and still have a garage full of boxes. It's been windy all week and dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home.

If a get a free weekend without the sleet and stuff, I will do my best to get to the range. I shoot a Ruger Mark III 22, but mine has a scope.

I think we miss a lot of the postings because there are a ton of categories to search through. I mostly stick with the Powder Keg.

·
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How about a 2 or 3 month span? Just get it done and submit your target in that amount of time? Should give the weather time to calm down.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts