lanolin+alchohol=case lube?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by billy, May 28, 2008.

1. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

1 part lanolin
    4 or 5 parts 99% alchohol

would this work?

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

WHy the Alcohol ???
    Lanolin by itself should be fine !!!
    Rich

3. billy

because i wanna put it in a spray bottle.

im sick of paying 9 bucks for a dinky can of spray lube.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  4. And on another front, for those that still like listening to albums, diluted rubbing alcohol 1/4 water and 3/4 alcohol = album cleaner. lol Already tried it and it works great.

Billy please, if it works let us/me know. I don't want to keep spending money if I don't have to either. I'm sure many here don't. lol Where'd or how'd you come up with the idea out of curiosity?

5. billy

jimkim sent it to me.

6. Have you tried it yet or you just get it? The only stuff I have came with the RCBS case lube kit I bought. When that runs out, well you know.

7. billy

I HAVENT TRIED IT.

8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I found This..."Spray Lube
    The spray-on case lubes are probably the best thing to happen to reloading in years. You can make your own spray case sizing lube in bulk by mixing liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. (While you can (kind of) use 91% isopropyl alcohol, its higher water content causes the lanolin to settle out and it must be shaken frequently during use. The more common 70% isopropyl "rubbing alcohol" will not work at all as its water content is much to high.)

Liquid lanolin, which is a refined lanolin oil with the solid fats removed (the reason why solid anhydrous lanolin doesn't work well in this application) is available from health food stores and sources specializing in ingredients for cosmetics. You want to get pure liquid lanolin without additives. Online sources include VitaGlo (NOW VITAMINS - LIQUID LANOLIN PURE 4 OZ) and Select Oils (selectoils.com).

I just recently discovered that my local Safeway store carries 99 percent isopropyl in their drug/cosmetic isle for $0.99 for a 16 ounce bottle. Ninety-nine percent isopropyl alcohol is also available from many large paint stores (used for some finishes), some electronics stores (it's used for cleaning electronics) or local industrial chemical suppliers.

A solution of 1 part liquid lanolin and 4 to 5 parts parts 99 percent isopropyl alcohol (4 oz of liquid lanolin to16 - 20 oz of isopropyl) works well. When mixing you may find that the lanolin mixes better if you warm both the alcohol and lanolin in a bath of warm water to about 105 - 110 degrees F before mixing. DO NOT WARM EITHER OF THEM OVER AN OPEN FLAME! Once the solutions are warm, pour together, mix thoroughly, allow the mix to cool (mix occasionally as it cools) and store in an air tight container to prevent water from being absorbed by the isopropyl. "
    Rich

9. billy

ive tried 4 kinds and the hornady 1 shot is the best so far .
    but for the price of 3 cans i could buy some carbide dies!

i wanna load 500 308win cases and am getting low on the 1 shot so maybe i'll give it a whirl

10. Yea, I just ordered the Hornady one shot. Says, rather recommends it to clean and lube the press before first use because it's covered/sprayed with a rust preventative in case of long term before sale I guess.

But if you like it, I found it reasonable here Billy. Of course there's shipping then the charge for minimum order. But at the price just buy 2 cans and some other odds an ends? I think the minimum order here is $20 bucks? So hell 3 cans almost put you there. $6.56 a can. Anyhow, to share the site/price, here ya' go.

Midsouth HORNADY/PACIFIC RELOADING TOOLS ONE-SHOT GUN CLEANER

11. The Scots, Welsh, Aussie & Kiwi sheep farmers have been using Lanolin as a natural lubricant for years!

12. Billy if you want, there's this if you'd like to wait on the lanolin? Just got the email from Midway, on sale, close-out for $3.79 for a 6oz. aerosol spray can.
    MidwayUSA - Frankford Arsenal Case Lube 6 oz Aerosol

wunhunglo, how do they apply it or what's the best way to apply lanolin? And scented or unscented? lol J/K

13. I use Lanotec lanolin products, the grease I use as a thread anti seize and general use, except bearing grease. The penetrant - rust inhibitor I LOVE!

If you get it on your hands it`s not like CRC or WD40.

It is an EXCELLENT penetrant - not and bolt un jammerator.

I`d use it as case lube, or atleast, I`d give it a go, eh.

Lanotec - Natural Wool Lanolin Products | Home check out.

14. Thanks for the link JR...Consider trying anything that works just and good and saves me some dojo.
    For case lube, which one, the general purpose? Or the Type A grease?

15. Apply liberally by hand and massage well in. Scented might be better if your partners personal hygene leaves something to be desired. Otherwise prefer ence is yours!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Just noticed that Lanotec is out of or in Australia. Shipping would more than likely make it not worth while. There has to be a importer or maker or something for it in the states. I'll look into it.

Great idea though. Glad jimkim initially gave it to Billy and he posted it to share the ideer as A.H. would say.

17. I`d use the general purpose spray, the grease`d be waaaay too much.

There has to be an outlet for this stuff or a similar product in the US.

18. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

dillon case lube is lanolin and iso.
    i have used to make 7.65 arg cases from 06 with just a spritz.
    it actually works better than imperial in some cases.
    and a bare mist with carbide sizers makes them have almost no feeling i mist about 20% of the cases and mix them in.

19. billy

if i cant find 99% alchohol.
    i am thinking of using EVERCLEAR it is 198 proof booze alchohol.