Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is ment by the term large ring mauser reciever?how do you know what barrel contour each mauser has?i have a mauser that i plan to rebarrel or have done that is.i would like to use my original stock,just cut it down.the numbers on the reciever and bolt dont match,and the bore is dark and pitted,i might also drill and tap for scope mount.any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
there are 2 basic classes of mausers, large ring and small ring. it is determined by the diameter of the front ring of the reciever. on large ring mausers the back 2/3 of the reciever is 1 diameter then at the front it makes a step to larger diameter. the small rings have no step at the front. small ring mausers include 1893's,94's, 95's, and 96's. there are many variations of the large ring, and 1 has to know exactly what he has, because some large ring mausers take a small ring diameter barrel. my advice would be to sell the rifle, and buy a new production rifle. sporterizing a mauser and doing a half decent job of it will cost more than buying a brand new rifle of higher quality.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts