Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of let me make a few things clear. This ain't for intentional use in a BOB or get home bag.
The topic is manually operated cutting tools for use at a permanent location or for establishment of such a location. Maybe portaged by different means of transportation but not generally by the MK-1 Organic Foot.馃榿

I'm talking about items to both cut firewood, maintain a home or build a decent home in the woods. Hopefully not breaking the bank but not cheap either.
Myself I've started looking at what the professionals might use in places where a chain saw or other power saw is not viable.

Here is one I was looking at as a possible addition to my manually operated tree felling and processing equipment. Which so far consists of A couple of bigger axes and a splitting maul.
It's a 30" bull saw. Any other manual hand tool ideas?

Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two person would work. We, my family had an old one single person here that needed tuning as in a few teeth realigned and sharpened. Then my dad had an idea of getting a winter scene painted down one side and gave it to my mother as a Christmas present. Not sure what happened to it over the years. Myself I had wanted to restore it.

What we used to have looked like this but went from rusty patina to painted to gone.鈽 Didn't have the extra handle though

Registered
The topic is manually operated cutting tools for use at a permanent location or for establishment of such a location.
BigEd63, This will be an interesting discussion thread. Establishing and maintaining a permanent location, I would want these items:
Bowsaw, Loppers, and Pruner
Vision care Eye glass accessory Rectangle Eyewear Office supplies
Tool Office supplies Circle Font Bird
Hand tool Pliers Diagonal pliers Tool Nipper

Bowsaw with extra blades will easiely cut down moderate size trees and limbs.
Lopper is multi purpose, trim limbs and shrubs, make kindling, cut materials to build or repair other things
Pruners when axe, saw, knife just isn't the right tool.
And 5-Gal bucket(s) because they are handy and can carry things

Lastly, consider a good shovel and hoe to name a few ;)

Registered
Outpost 75 has a good point, sharpening the saw. Human powered tools don't have the excess of power to be used when they are dull. In Murphyburo Ohio there was a shop that delt with hand powered tools. A lot of the old large one and two man saws have been cut up and made into knives, a lot have been left behind to rust. When you are talking human powered tools rust adds a lot of drag to the cutting action.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That place in the links I posted has a maintenance tool kit for hand saws. Something to think about.
Also they have a wide variety of axes. Real axes not Chicom trash.
I still have a American made Collins and a early pre sellout Fiskars that's from Finland.
I need something like the latter a splitting axe, that can have the handle replaced. The Collins needs a better and longer handle. It's current one is a supposed "unbreakable" one 馃檮馃ぃ that's around 40years old and I fixed it once and patched it another.馃槕

Registered
I have many chain saws and have to cut a lot of wood to keep a heavily wooded creek open, that runs only 50 feet from my house. If it gets blocked we flood. We also cut lots of firewood, so I have saws.

A couple years ago I bought three battery operated saws, little ones that run on 40 amp batteries. The are only 12 inch blades but work great for any minor wood chore. The battery will last about 30 minutes of cutting. So, my plan is to use my 4 watt solar panel and charge them up, and cut wood every few days when I have power, or charge them when I otherwise have electricity or run the generator. The key is to have lots of spare batteries. The are very light and you only need one person. They are high torque and you can cut a 12-15 inch tree with them, just cut on two side.

Just one other method. I have serious back problems and no way I could use a big saw or even one end of one. A man has gotta know his limitations. Also, a man can never have too many chain saws. Use the gas ones when you can, the battery ones as needed and a hand saw as a last resort. IMHO

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Registered
Reading this thread is making me want to hit some of the farm sales and auctions around here. I'm sure there are loads of good, usable or at least restorable hand tools out there that I could use.
I see a lot of old axes and tools at some of the "antique" or flea market type places I wander around. There is one nearby that has a whole consignment booth full of stuff like that. Not to mention kerosene lamps and candle molds. Plus lots of cast iron cookware.

Registered
Two person would work. We, my family had an old one single person here that needed tuning as in a few teeth realigned and sharpened. Then my dad had an idea of getting a winter scene painted down one side and gave it to my mother as a Christmas present. Not sure what happened to it over the years. Myself I had wanted to restore it.

What we used to have looked like this but went from rusty patina to painted to gone.鈽 Didn't have the extra handle though
Paint can be removed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Paint can be removed.
Yeah I got some real strong paint and lacquer remover that reminds me of the real old fashioned navel jelly. That and my sandblaster.馃槈

Only issue is I don't know if it's still here. My mother may have sold it after my father died. Honestly it was as fugly as Godzilla's backside. 馃檮

The outer edge of civilization
I see a lot of old axes and tools at some of the "antique" or flea market type places I wander around. There is one nearby that has a whole consignment booth full of stuff like that. Not to mention kerosene lamps and candle molds. Plus lots of cast iron cookware.
I should hit a couple of the flea markets around here but they've turned into more permanent booths full of crap than anything else and far less good old barn vomit stuff.

The outer edge of civilization
If you can't find em, I bet Cyrano can.
Actually I'd have a better chance because Cyrano is always stuck at his booth and the sales he hits are generally far too posh for antique farm and yard tools. If he did find anything, we'd have to find a way to ship it down here or he'd have to bring them down if he could ever get away from home.

There are a couple of auction companies around here that specialize in farm / rural sales that are always fun to go to. I may have to drive an hour or two to get there, and I may not walk away with what I want, but at least I've had a good time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts