Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a few days off and the wife has enough distractions that I was able to plan an ad-hoc shooting / camping trip for a day and night in the Rockies. I was just goin to go shooting but she said do you want to camp? and i said, well, idk , maybe. but after a few hours I decided it was the prefect opportunity to do a mock bug out. Im going to pack a minimal camping load out, mostly using what i usually have in my truck, with a few additional luxuries thrown in as well. but basically im throwing a few things in the truck in a short times notice, and hitting the road.

I hope to test some gear/ set-ups, and get some fun shooting in while proving survival techniques.

anyone nearby your welcome to join, Pm me and ill give you some better location details.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I turned it into a day trip, could have camped but it wouldnt have been like i wanted it to, didnt have enough time to plan a good camp spot.

anyways, I got to do some really great shooting. the range i was at was I'd say ~200 yards. and at the farthest distance, there was a downed tree that someone had put up a nice 16x24" or so steel plate, so I put up my 8" steel gong at about half way to the other one and that worked really well for targets. since had this range to myself I was able to set my own firing lines.

approx every 25 yards there was a large dirt berm, about 1-2 ft high. what i would do is start from about 50 yards away from the 8" going, 125 or so from the plate, and get 2 hits on each, then run, yes run back to the next berm and do the same thing. as i got farther away I would use different shooting positions. first standing off hand, then kneeling, then prone using the berm as a rest. also at one of the berms someone had stood up a pallet so I could use that as a shooting rest as well. then back at the parking area there was a tree stump that was perfect for using as a shooting rest.

anyways, it was alot of fun and made for some challenging and rewarding shooting. all the running up and down the range got my heart rate up, and I was able to use the terrain and obstacles to my advantage, depending on need.

one thing that was very apparent, Red dots only work out to about 100 yards or so. first berm(closest( I was able to easily hit both the gong and the plate, but once i moved back 25 or 50 yards form there, I was only able to really hit the gong, the plate was too small to hit consistently. I could barely see it, and the dot just wasn't precise enough at that range to acquire the steel plate well enough.
that was with my 10.5" 5.56 pistol.

my 16" 5.56 rifle with a 1-6 lpvo was much more capable at the longer distance hits. I could easily and consistently ping either the gong or the plate at any range. i found that 4x was my favorite, though 6x did help if i needed to really bear down on a target. the steel plate at the farthest range was right on the 200 yard bdc, which was nice.

I also shot the .300 blk 7.5" ar pistol, man that thing is a blasty little BI*$^$$, I shot a few rounds without the blast deflector on and holy cow, I got a face full of dirt and dust! with the blast deflector on it it kicks a bit more, but is much more pleasant to shoot. these .30 cal bullets really thump hard, even at the "lower" velocity compared to 308. with the irons it has on it, it was a challenge to hit the gong at more than 50 yards or so, but thats a pretty small target, and I could see the impacts all right around it, so if it were a larger target, I would have been getting more hits. at 25 yrds I put 3 rounds into about 2 inches, standing off hand, so the gun is accurate enough, especially considering the short sight radius.

all in all i had a blast! really got some good real-world and dynamic shooting in, and learned about about myself and my gear, and what each pieces strengths and weaknesses are.

Pics coming, didnt get a ton of great ones though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should clarify, I said red dots dont really "Work" past 100 or so. what I meant was that I wasnt able to get rings on the steel plate at more than about 100 yards or so. I have shot the same gun with the same red dot out to 3-400 on much larger steel targets. so its all relative. this was a relatively small target.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I added some pointers to the targets im refering to as they are really hard to see if you dont know what your looking for. I think though this highlights how hard it was to hit the farther one. this pic is taken from the berm with the pallet, which was about the halfway mark of the range, back behind me form here another 50-75 yards is my truck and where the tree stump is i was shooting off of at the longest range. distance is hard to estimate, I need a range finder lol. id say at most the longer distance was probably 200-225. which makes sense as i was using the 200 bdc hash on the rifles reticle. pretty satisfying to hit something that small at that distance. People talk alot about shooting X yards or getting a 1 moa group at 100. but when you get off the "Flat range" and into some real world shooting situations, it becomes MUCH harder.

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Grass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.