close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Latest Addition a Swiss 1889

Discussion in 'Swiss Rifles' started by dogzebra, Mar 18, 2014.

1. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

Well, I made the trek to Simpson's today and managed to pluck what I hope is a decent one from the rack. They sold a bunch of Swiss rifles to Cabela's, so get 'em while they're hot.

This rifle appears to have been made in 1892. It also came home with a bayonet. Now all I need to do is make up some reloads and take it to the range.

dz

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      551.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      489.3 KB
      Views:
  2. IIRC, those used a paper patched bullet as the standard. I believe teh PP went away fromthe Swiss army in 1924

3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Sounds like you already know not to shoot the GP11 stuff through it!

4. Guisan

Guisan G&G Regular

NL
    Congrat's on that one, for loads check here...
    Search Results

And enjoy shooting it !

5. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

I've found few actual recommendations for reloads. Lots and lots of warnings though. Finally I made up some low end 30/40 Krag loads using 180 gr, SP Hornady bullets on top of H335, IMR 4895, and IMR 3031 powders. I didn't bother to trim the 7.5x55 brass back. My COAL was adjusted a little less than the inside of the box magazine.

I sandbagged the rifle and paper wrapped the action just as a precaution for the first three rounds of different powders. Gas leakage didn't seem to be a problem. I managed to get off half a dozen of rounds before dusk, then I had to pack it in.

Overall, shooting this m1889 was a very pleasant experience. Recoil was very low. The open sights are better than most give them credit for. This one's trigger has a clean consistant break at 3 1/2 lbs. At 50m it printed a 2'' group, 8'' high. The bore is mirror bright with sharp lands. I wish my chrony was working, I could use it for sure. Next go round I hope to remember my camera...

dz

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      778.8 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      530.2 KB
      Views: