Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had various parts for a pistol build in the parts boxes so decided there was no time like the present to throw one together, This all started when I ordered parts for a rifle build and they sent me a gas tube for a pistol by mistake, They sent me the right gas tube right away but didn't need the pistol one returned so into the parts box it went. Over a few builds it was joined by a 7" handguard and a muzzle "flash forwarder": that I didn't care for. Fast forward and I ran across Combat Armory having Radical Firearms complete pistol lowers on sale for $99.99 and that was the deciding moment as I can't even assemble a complete lower for that price now. Picked up a cheap Bear Creek 7.5" barrel in 5.56 with a 1:7 twist,. a nitride BCG also from Combar Armory and a $14 pistol brace along with a $23 Pinty holographic sight (that actually works pretty darn good) and it was off to the races.
Ran 40 rounds through it and have to say that it's a decidedly different experience from a rifle AR. Not sure if I'll end up keeping it or what at the moment, it might grow on me as I put some more rounds down range.

·
The outer edge of civilization
16,575 Posts
Parts bin builds are the most fun and/or frustrating. So I'm betting you'll either keep it or tear it down, toss the parts back in the bins and build something else later.

I did a fabric stash build that ended up in one of the glass cases as an extant piece of clothing at Colonial Williamsburg even though I wanted it back from the guy I made it for because I hated it. Talk about frustrating! LOL

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love "parts box" builds!

next time maybe try it in .300 blk if you want to go that short.
I've stayed away from 300blk due to the possibility of a mixup between that and the AR's that we have in 5.56, plus I have one in 7.62x39 so the .30 caliber option is covered lol.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
I've stayed away from 300blk due to the possibility of a mixup between that and the AR's that we have in 5.56, plus I have one in 7.62x39 so the .30 caliber option is covered lol.
not the first time i've heard that counter point before, doesnt make sense to me, guns by nature are inherently dangerous and must be treated with care and diligence in all cases, not just 5.56/.3oo blk.

ive never worried about putting .380 in my 9mm.. there are many more examples.

I resisted .300 blk just because of the cost and limited availability for the longest time, but when i wanted a really short AR, it began to make sense.

you've already got the .30cal covered so i understand not wanting to adopt .300blk from that perspective alone.

I went with a 10.5" 5.56 personally. the 7.5" 5.56 barrels are more popular than i would expect them to be, so there must be something to them.

anyways, im sure its BLAST to shoot!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't worry about making the mistake myself, it's more about what stupid -people might end up doing with things if something were to happen to me! The 7.62x39 AR rifle has a big neon green decal on the magwell, and the magazines all have labels on the bottom and are stored in a separate plastic mag case to boot.

I went with the 7.5" mainly due to trying to keep the weight down to a minimum, as I separated my right shoulder while in the military and it's not at it's strongest at the position needed to fire a pistol.

·
Super Moderator
14,472 Posts
I had various parts for a pistol build in the parts boxes so decided there was no time like the present to throw one together, This all started when I ordered parts for a rifle build and they sent me a gas tube for a pistol by mistake, They sent me the right gas tube right away but didn't need the pistol one returned so into the parts box it went. Over a few builds it was joined by a 7" handguard and a muzzle "flash forwarder": that I didn't care for. Fast forward and I ran across Combat Armory having Radical Firearms complete pistol lowers on sale for $99.99 and that was the deciding moment as I can't even assemble a complete lower for that price now. Picked up a cheap Bear Creek 7.5" barrel in 5.56 with a 1:7 twist,. a nitride BCG also from Combar Armory and a $14 pistol brace along with a $23 Pinty holographic sight (that actually works pretty darn good) and it was off to the races.
Ran 40 rounds through it and have to say that it's a decidedly different experience from a rifle AR. Not sure if I'll end up keeping it or what at the moment, it might grow on me as I put some more rounds down range.

My wife loves puzzles! I wonder…

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife loves puzzles! I wonder…
My better half has assembled two for herself. Swapped the first one for a RUger MK2, five magazines for it, a brick of ammo and $300. This is the replacement one she put together in 5.56.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts