Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article this morning from Science and Mechanics magazine March 1962 edition on the AR-15. You can read it at:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/index.php?s=AR-15

After all the controversy about the M4 carbine and its jamming propensities in the desert sands, I just about went to the floor in hysterical laughter when I read one of the closing paragraphs of the story:

"...Oh," Murphy grinned as he snapped the box shut, "didn't I tell you? The whole gun is non-corrosive, even under a salt water spray, and the lubricants are permanently fused into the metal. It'll never need oil, and dirt can't stick to any of the moving parts. Bury it in sand, dig it up, bang the butt on the ground once to clean it out, and it'll work like a hundred-dollar watch..."

I remember all the hype we were exposed to at Hurlburt Field, Florida, when the Air Commandos started getting in our M-16 rifles for training. And I was as vulnerable as the rest of them in terming this a "superweapon."

Good article, though, for those days... :AR15firing:

·
Registered
94 Posts
:bigeyes:
and with that reply all I have to say is anyone interested in buying my remaining Break free L.P. ??? I will sell it to ya cheap.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
That was a good read, reminded me of the old time sci-fi books. Especially the part about three magazines leaving a hole big enough for a man to crawl through...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts