close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lawmakers balk at FBI request for polygraphs

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ill post the whole story ... for the sake of accuricy. This raises a few ?? that are more to the point...
    1. Do you think that this may make them review OUR Constatutional rights....and how they have been eroded?
    2. Is it not amazing that they can "decide" weather or not to comply with the FBI request.....Im sure the FBI.BATF ect would under stand the private citazes concenr and let him/her decide to cooperate.
    3. I just think this is so funny that I should post this part in the humor section..polaticians hooked to a "Lie Detector" that needle gano be be moveing in more directions that Rossie O's body parts during an eath quake....I hope the FBI has lots of these machines case the shear BS potential will over load and fry the ones they got.
    4. Could we put this on pay perview...do one of those jerry springer type shows with it...the proceeds going to a good cause (Like the Doglips firearm rescue campain)....Have the senators confronted at the start of the show.....then the last have Jerry confronts them with the results....Senator you said you never lie...the results show you lied...

Lawmakers balk at FBI request for polygraphs

By Ken Guggenheim | Associated Press
    Posted August 3, 2002

WASHINGTON -- Some members of a congressional inquiry into the Sept. 11 attacks are rejecting FBI suggestions that they undergo lie-detector tests as part of an investigation into leaks from the panel -- a probe they had requested.

Among those objecting are two leaders of the inquiry: House Democratic Whip Nancy Pelosi of California and Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., who have said the tests intrude on the separation of powers between the legislative and executive branches.

"The Senate and, I assume, the House, has always investigated their own," Shelby, the top Republican on the Senate Intelligence Committee, said.

The House and Senate Intelligence Committees, which are conducting the joint inquiry, requested the FBI investigation in June after CNN and other news organizations reported details of Arabic conversations intercepted by the National Security Agency on Sept. 10.

The leaks outraged the White House. Vice President Dick Cheney called the committees' chairmen, Sen. Bob Graham, D-Fla., and Rep. Porter Goss, R-Fla., to complain.

Shelby said he thinks all 37 members of the committees have been interviewed and all have been asked whether they would submit to the tests.

White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan, asked about President Bush's opinion of submitting lawmakers to polygraphs, replied, "The Congress asked for this investigation, and we're confident they'll work it out."

Shelby said he now thinks inquiry leaders were wrong to ask the FBI to investigate the leaks. The inquiry is examining intelligence shortcomings by the FBI and other agencies leading up to the attacks.

"Here we are investigating the FBI for huge failures, and now we're asking them to investigate us," he said.

Pelosi, the top Democrat on the House committee, didn't go that far, saying through a spokesman that "an investigation under oath is one thing, but a polygraph is quite another."

Rep. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., said he would have no problems taking the test.

"We've got to put a stop to these leaks," he said. "If that means me taking a polygraph test, if that will help in the process, I'm certainly willing to do so."

Rep. Ray Lahood, R-Ill., said he told the FBI that the members of the House and Senate committees should decide among themselves whether they want to submit to tests.

Shelby said top Senate leaders, include Majority Leader Tom Daschle and Minority Leader Trent Lott, R-Miss., have told him and other committee members that it's not a good idea to submit to polygraphs. Lott told reporters he expects most members of Congress wouldn't take the test "and I don't even know if that's a necessary or appropriate thing."

A spokeswoman for Graham said he thinks most members agree with the FBI investigation and it will not interfere with the inquiry. Goss could not be reached for comment.

In addition to the lawmakers, the FBI is interviewing several dozen congressional staff members and even some CIA officers. Investigators are trying to determine who leaked information about communications in Arabic that made vague references to an impending attack on the United States.

An intelligence source said they contained the phrases, "Tomorrow is zero hour" and "The match is about to begin."

The intercepts weren't translated until Sept. 12.
    :p

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Give them a choice. Either a polygraph,or torture. And,I think it should be on TV,if they refuse or if found to be lying,throw 'em in prison. Then we can start with a clean slate.

3. i agree with wes!!!

-Jesse

4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Here's a few solutions that should get politicians attention.

Arrest them, finger print them, throw them in the clinker just as we would be incarcerated if we refused to cooperate. Make them (politicians) know that the people expect a cooperative attitude from them (and lawyers) just like they would from us if we were arrested.

Then run them through hot and cold showers, put them on the rack a while, pull out their finger nails, hook electrodes to their sensitive parts. This should get the point across fairly quickly.

And finally, start putting up the poles along the congressional road where they could be tied for public inspection and disgrace (almost like the Romans did in ancient times).

Oxford

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Dang, glad I'm not a politician in YOUR state oxford! :eek:

6. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

NRAJOE: I was just kiddng but you got my point ok.

Oxford

7. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Oh most definately, I'm gonna be nicer to you from now on!!! :eek:

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Speak loudly and carry a small stick...or is it carry a big stick and speak quietly...Oh well, who cares. Just carry a bigger stick than the other guy and speak louder. Guess that means have a 1911A Colt automatic pistol under your shoulder.
    Oxford