Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
"L1A1 version of the FN-FAL, which had succeeded the Enfield No. 1 Mark IV of World War II ..."

I thought the SLR (FAL) replaced the No4, (&5), and that the No. 1 Mark IV was a pre war simplification of the SMLE?

I loved the SLR, as a friend said "When you shoot someone with an SLR, they stay shot..."

3 Posts
"L1A1 version of the FN-FAL, which had succeeded the Enfield No. 1 Mark IV of World War II ..."

I thought the SLR (FAL) replaced the No4, (&5), and that the No. 1 Mark IV was a pre war simplification of the SMLE?

I loved the SLR, as a friend said "When you shoot someone with an SLR, they stay shot..."
Let's give the movie a bit of slack here. Remember that the exteriors of Cairo, Damascus, and Jerusalem were done in Spain. Yes, the light machine gun was anachronistic and the Enfields were inappropriate, but does it really matter all that much? (Well, the LMG did stick out a bit....). I have been to movies with folks who sail or ride horses or - the worst - historic automobile fans and they rage about what is wrong with the rigging or the saddle style or the rear bumper while I am trying to eat my popcorn and enjoy the show and follow the story, which in the case of L of A is a story of over a year crammed into a few hours with embellishments and deletions and distortions of events and characters. But still a terrific movie and one that holds up after 60 years. Not bad.

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
I watched our Vietnam movie, if you will, An Odd Angry Shot, this evening.

Pretty sure they might have filmed part of it around the army base of Shoalwater up north.

I wondered why some of the actors were carrying M16, I always thought AU forces had the SLR - FN-FAL. Turns out special forces used the M16. I'd have to A -B them but my first choice would have been the FN-FAL or SLR ( Self Loading Rifle )

Side arm would have been the Browning Hi Power although again, research tells me the Colt 45 was used as well. Given a choice I want the 45.

We used the M60. Vietnam vets have told me it's nick name was Charlie Guts Ache.

It's a good movie, anyone who's seen Wolf Creek would recognise a very young John Jarratt in a lead role. Or Bryan Brown as Lance Corporal Rodgers. Casting Graham Kennedy as a veteran SAS soldier was interesting. He pulls it off ( so to speak ) Graham was an icon of Australian television. Everyone knew he was gay but no one cared.

Kind of like Paul Linde I guess. Imagine casting Paul Linde as a green beret and having it work.....

21 - 25 of 25 Posts