Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this might go here. Mexico has filed a 10 billion dollar lawsuit against American gun makers in US Federal court. They claim that our gun mfrs. are responsible for all of the gun violence committed by cartels who also have been smuggling guns across the border. I had heard this on the radio earlier today and just saw a short video from Reuters about it. Another attack on our gun rights? And being done through the back door.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
So I think the US citizens should file a class action lawsuit much more than that. Reason being for their illegals running over the border and through the river illegally into OUR Country. Then we are supporting them with our tax dollars. Then there is a reason also for the disease they are bringing with them. We have enough to deal with in this country . Sue them Bastardz right back double. Yet another very good reason to build a solid concrete wall.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
So they cant control the criminals in their country. What a shame. Sounds like most major cities in the US. So blame it on the gun manufacturers, go figure. These cartels do as they please and run the show in Mexico. Time to remove the vermin from their soil and do the right thing. Suing for money will not make the cartels shoot less

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Mexico Launches $10-Billion Lawsuit Against U.S. Gun Makers – Bearing Arms

It is not Mexico, it is Mexico and the Brady Gun Control group, their lawyers are part of his case. That means Bloomberg is funding this. Duh? Time to send some money to GOA and the NRA.
They filed it in Boston for 2 reasons, liberal judges and liberal jurors. Does not look good. Fortunately there is a federal law that says you cannot sue a company for harm from their product used improperly. However, if they can convince a jury that the companies knew a lot of their guns would end up in Mexico, then we could be in trouble. There is risk here.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,788 Posts
I guess this might go here. Mexico has filed a 10 billion dollar lawsuit against American gun makers in US Federal court. They claim that our gun mfrs. are responsible for all of the gun violence committed by cartels who also have been smuggling guns across the border. I had heard this on the radio earlier today and just saw a short video from Reuters about it. Another attack on our gun rights? And being done through the back door.
Perhaps the United States should file a $1 trillion lawsuit against the Mexican government in Mexico's courts, claiming that they are responsible for the drug epidemic in the United States because the cannot, or refuse to, shut down the Mexican drug cartels.

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mexico Launches $10-Billion Lawsuit Against U.S. Gun Makers – Bearing Arms

It is not Mexico, it is Mexico and the Brady Gun Control group, their lawyers are part of his case. That means Bloomberg is funding this. Duh? Time to send some money to GOA and the NRA.
They filed it in Boston for 2 reasons, liberal judges and liberal jurors. Does not look good. Fortunately there is a federal law that says you cannot sue a company for harm from their product used improperly. However, if they can convince a jury that the companies knew a lot of their guns would end up in Mexico, then we could be in trouble. There is risk here.
Given Mexico's strict gun laws the idea that the mfrs knew a lot of their guns would end up there might not hold as much weight as they would like. I would think that the Lawful Commerce Protection Law for Gun makers would force the suit to be thrown out. However with Brady and Bloomberg in this mix money might win.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Given Mexico's strict gun laws the idea that the mfrs knew a lot of their guns would end up there might not hold as much weight as they would like. I would think that the Lawful Commerce Protection Law for Gun makers would force the suit to be thrown out. However with Brady and Bloomberg in this mix money might win.
I think you are right. Mexico's law mean nothing in a US Court. But Bloomberg finances the Brady anti gun group and their lawyer is one of the lawyers filing the lawsuit. They picked Massachusetts on purpose, both for the judge and the jury. If they can get the case to stay alive past a motion to dismiss based on the Lawful Commerce Protection Act, then it becomes a fact issue for a Boston jury. In Federal courts I think the juries have to be unanimous but they could pull a bunch of former drug dealers in from Mexico who could say that the more guns they bought the more these companies produced knowing that lots of them were going to Mexico and they might convince a Boston jury. If they could find some former who claimed they expected to sell a lot of guns that ended south of the border then that could be a problem.

With our current Supreme Court I expect it would be thrown out but that would be 4-5 years down the road and if they were to win at this level you could expect California and many other states to pile on a bunch of similar lawsuits to harass the industry and drive up the price of guns.

So, my hope is they file their motion to dismiss quick and try to shut it down now.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Perhaps the United States should file a $1 trillion lawsuit against the Mexican government in Mexico's courts, claiming that they are responsible for the drug epidemic in the United States because the cannot, or refuse to, shut down the Mexican drug cartels.
Good point. They would never have tried this stunt with Trump in charge.

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
I wouldn't have faulted Mexico for going after the former administrations that cobbled together sick plans such as Operation Wide Receiver and Fast and Furious which clearly empowered some cartels and doers of evil in Mexico. Having said that firearms manufacturers should not be sued for what devil's spawn in some administrations did that made Mexico's military and police forces travails with those cartels as problematic as a decades long Russian struggle in Afghanistan and our own 2 decades long struggle in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other countries in that neighborhood has been for the citizens of those countries The wrongs and collateral damage precipitated against those foreign countries to curtail some bad actors in those regions including those in Mexico were not caused by the legal manufacture of firearms here in the USA, and nothing any judge or jury could do to US manufacturers will make the Mexican struggle with the cartels more winnable. Clearly if any war is worth expending lives of young people in military and/or police forces it should be pursued with the same show of force as we saw in WWII. Anything less is a sham and a trivial waste of human life.
Hopefully it will quickly become evident that this ludicrous action basically targets the wrong target.

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
I hope that someone points out that Mexico should target organized crime instead of legal manufacturers of legal products.
Organized crime at any given time can also be elected political figures and appointed bureaucrats of those same political entities.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That country is absolute sh**! I was born in McAllen, in South Texas, and lived there until I was 16. It's corrupt and nothing will change it. Part of the movie "Sicario: Day of the Soldado" was filmed in McAllen, and while it's a good movie, it reminded me why my mom moved us away. The violence that accompanies drug and human trafficking is horrible, and it's Mexico's fault. Noone to blame but themselves, definitely not American gun manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
And for a little irony we have Mexico in the process of finalizing a multi million dollar purchase of firearms from Sig here in the good old USA. If I was the CEO of Sig I would tell them to do deep knee bends over a fire hydrant

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
One of the problems that does exist and is now targeted by ATF are the guys that buy AR lowers 4-5 at a time, put them together and sell them to strangers at gun shows knowing nothing about the buyer. I read that ATF is tracking everyone that is buying 80% lowers or many lowers. People that build and intentionally sell them to strangers for a profit have created a problem for those of us who just like to build them and enjoy mixing and matching parts. If the guys that build and sell one a month for a profit are doing that and not paying taxes on them and are proven to sell to bad guys then I have no problem with targeting them.

I once was approached by a group of Hispanic males at a gun show and one of the who spoke English wanted to buy a handgun that I was carrying around to sell or trade. I told him it was not for sale and the group got very angry. Told them I just changed my mind. The guy got confrontational. Not a good idea in a gun show, but he thought he could intimidate me, not likely. I traded that gun to a regular at the gun shows a few minutes later. I am never going to sell any gun to a group that does not speak English, Russian, German, does not matter, but some people do. And many of those guns go to Mexico.

One problem is there are guys who do travel the gun show circuit buy lots of ARs and sell them knowing they are going across the border. Those guys need to be locked up.
We need to clean up our own house otherwise the gun grabbers have an EZ target.

This case however, should be thrown out quickly but who knows if they draw a liberal judge who does not follow the case law and statutes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts