Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zipped into one of my favorite gun shops this afternoon to take a quick look around and spied something unusual in the counter.
One of the early post Commie pistols to be designed and made in a Free Poland.
Actually didn't know that until I noticed the Polish Eagle crest stamped into the slide.
In designing this they went for Western pistol design and ergonomics. DA/SA with a decocker. 15 rd magazines and M9 /Berreta 92 magazines are said to be able to be fitted.
Alloy frame and steel slide, slide coated with a matte/semi crinkle finish of some sort. Barrel I've heard or read different comments about: Stainless? Polished Hard Chrome over carbon steel? or Stainless that's been hard chrome lined? Don't know about the polishing but it's all Polish regardless.馃榿
I bought this as mainly a collectible in honor of the Polish side of the family and my Grandfather and Great Uncle in particular.
However, once I get it out of layaway it will be test fired, zeroed and a small amount of magazines and accessories acquired for it depending on function.
Worse scenario is I got a wall hanger of a kind.
IMG_20210519_180520631.jpg

Below is what got my attention Eagle one the slide.
IMG_20210519_180505101.jpg

Premium Member
Cool! What is the logo on the grip?
It is an Archer...In 1990 the factory returned to its old name Zak艂ady Metalowe "艁ucznik" (Metal Works "艁ucznik"), "艂ucznik" meaning 'archer'. It became a state-owned company (SA).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice Find Ed.
That's the only one of those that I've ever seen.
The only one I've seen in person myself. Century Arms apparently imported them in 2012 in one batch. The pistols were used by the Polish Border Guards and the prison guards in Poland. Designed for military trials it didn't meet the height and weight requirements even after going from a steel to alloy frame.
Haven't read anything particularly bad about them yet. Oddly enough then winner of the trials the WIST-94 supposedly was not liked in service due to issues with jamming and a complicated disassembly. But the MAG-98 never saw military service so no combat use like the WIST-94 went through.

Premium Member
Great find! I shot one that a friend owns and it is a well handling arm...here is a video in Polska but English CCs are available..
For some reason the video will not link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buPNir8iHmo

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for posting that video on it.

Trust me when I say that, from being raised in a Polish family, that if you want a logical reason why the WIST was chosen over the MAG-95/98 you'll never find one.
And you know what's worse?! They were.both eventually replaced by some odd ball pistol from Austria that no one heard of ....Glock something or other 17 Gen 3...馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol. My American brain was saying " Why is there an Indian on a Polish pistol? "
Okay another reply. They had some people invade Poland several times similar to Indians. They were called Tartars. Think minutes sized Mongolian light cavalryman that could swarm through an unsuspecting village like a giant school of piranha.

Registered
Thanks for posting that video on it.

Trust me when I say that, from being raised in a Polish family, that if you want a logical reason why the WIST was chosen over the MAG-95/98 you'll never find one.
And you know what's worse?! They were.both eventually replaced by some odd ball pistol from Austria that no one heard of ....Glock something or other 17 Gen 3...馃ぃ
The company famous for Radom went to the Glock? I guess Archie Bunker was right about the Poles ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Picked up 3 surplus Berreta 92/M9 magazines to fit for use in it.
Have not picked it up yet.
Might do it soon but have to crunch a few numbers on this months budget.
IMG_20210602_193510033.jpg

$9.99 a piece sure beats whatever an original and probably unobtainable here mag might run. Well somewhere around $50 USD if the Glock talk article on Polish pistols was correct.馃檮
I got this picture from there showing the modification needed.
V4NBGhq.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Late range report.

On the 3rd of last week I picked up said pistola and headed up to the Crowder Conservation Range by Neosho MO.
I only did a limited amount of shooting due to the obvious 9mm ammo situation.
Apparently the previous owner zeroed it and had the same hold as I do as windage was spot on.

I only fired 3 shots from a Midway USA Pistol rest at 25yds and the rest at approximately 21feet.
First target 25yds:
IMG_20210603_131106720_HDR.jpg

The next are the respective targets @7yds/ 21ft using the remaining WW/USA White Box and some CCI BLAZER Brass, which so far I'm not much impressed with.
IMG_20210603_133026059_HDR.jpg

Also could have been a software issue as I was ragged out from lack of sleep and bleary eyed. Yeah I know excuses excuses.馃榿

One thing to note is that the BLAZER target looks like it was shot more but it's slightly deceiving. As the target backing material was shot up and I wasn't thinking about photos I overlayed the Winchester target and fired into it
Don't ask me why that damn grid is here. I accidentally bumped it on my phone's touch screen and I can't get rid of it!

AFTER RANGE SESSION COMMENTARY

Sights are acceptable white dot front and white outline rear.

Trigger is acceptable for a standard issue service pistol but see next comment.

Accuracy- Benched: very good.
Off hand: Sucks largely due to the trigger break spongy and a tad bit heavy.
It's equipped with a firing pin block safety and its a "dingus lever" type like on the series 80 Colts. About the worst kind. I might replace a spring or two later but not right now. Not exactly like there are reduced power spring kits on the market for these in the USA.

I did however get the Beretta 92 magazines fitted to work and had hand cycled 15rds of Hornady Critical Duty 135+p JHP which is the most angular bullet profile one I have.

Wonderment :)
BigEd63: Sir; it wonderful when it all comes together 馃槂. Good shooting 馃榿

1 - 20 of 20 Posts