close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lead bullets and Ported barrels

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by WillyZ, Apr 2, 2002.

1. WillyZ

WillyZ G&G Newbie

Was wondering if anyone has had problems shooting lead bullets (for indoor ranges i.e. semi-wad cutter & round nose) through pistol barrels that are ported? I do a lot of indoor shooting at the local club and they don't allow jacketed bullets. Just wondering if accuracy and leading problems with barrel?

Thanks

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

That is the exact opposite of ALL the indoor ranges I have seen. They all REQUIRED jacketed ammo to keep lead fumes under control. I can think of no reason for anyone to require unjacketed ammo unless they are deliberately trying to cause lead poisoning of the range employees.

3. WillyZ

WillyZ G&G Newbie

The reason for the lead only is because the backers at the club are thin. The backers should probably be replaced. Remember this is at the local gun club not a private owned business that has the funds to have a state of the art shooting range. Plus there is a huge conflict with all the different shooting sports at our club (i.e. blackpower, skeet, sporting clays, trap, indoor pistol and light rifle). Hell our ventilation system sucks. Everytime I come home from indoor pistol I can taste the power in the back of my throat. These people are so set on there ways that they'll never change. You could show them that the grass is green and they still woundn't believe you. But to my question, will there be a problem shooting lead bullets with a ported barrel?

Thanks

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

These people have a problem (mental). Hard cast lead bullets will penetrate just as far as jacketed bullets of similar shape and weight. Semi wadcutters will usually out penetrate semi jacketed hollowpoints and pre-fragmented ammo by a good margin. Round nose is much worse. Hard cast bullets should work in a ported pistol, though it will probably spit tiny lead particles into the air. I do not think the would be damaged at all. I highly recommend finding a different place to shoot. Lead is bad stuff and causes brain and nervous system damage.

5. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

The lead won't bother the porting if your using quality hard cast bullets like magnus makes. I have a ported 357 and so far on a single day at the range I have fired a couple hundred rounds of wadcutters and haven't seen any blockages

6. WillyZ

WillyZ G&G Newbie

Klaus,
    The lead that is the problem is the lead in the primers. Jacketed, semi-jacketed or plain lead is not the problem only if you eat it or lick your fingers after you shoot. The bullets that are jacketed or semi-jacketed, when they hit the backers become unjacketed. Now the lead is exposed. Lead that is insoluble such as the lead from the bullets is ok unless you eat it. Lead that is soluble such as the lead in the primers is what will kill you. This lead is in the air from the primer going off. Back in the day they use lead in hosehold paints. The only people who were damaged were the children that chewed on the window sills. The only company that I know of now that sells lead free primers is Winchester and they only put them in their factory ammo. I don't think that they are selling just the lead free primers.

WillyZ

7. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the very hot burning powder will vaporize some exposed lead on the base of the bullet. The vapors will then condense to form a lead rich dust that collects in the lungs and is absorbed into the body. Heavy metals collect in fatty tissues and are very difficult to remove. They can cause birth defects, nerve damage, and many other problems.

8. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    1st: Your avitar is the heat.
    2nd: We need to get some more advice on this lead thing.
    3rd: Dillon has a spray cor comps revolver cyls etc. works great! they are on the web.

9. caster

caster G&G Newbie

You find that the ports will lead up with coat of lead,and depends on the hardness of the bullet.
    Now the fun part, Cleaning this is a pain!,I have a .357 magnum revolver with round ports that I can clean with a drill bit.
    Not so bad, but My .44 magnum has a "false" muzzle that the bore does not meet the porting, it has a gap that the lead builds up and a lot more work to clean.

10. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Caster, is your 44 a Taurus?

My Taurus 44 is designed the same way you described, and it takes a little extra work to clean out the lead.

11. lead only at my clubs indoor range also.
    NO JACKETED AMMO.

THERE ARE 4 AIR SCRUBBERS IN THAT ROOM

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  12. Hmmm.... must be Rememberance week. A thread from 2002 reopened.

13. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

New member researching old threads...to learn from what was posted.

14. i do it too
    just because something was posted 5 minutes ago,doesnt make it good.

15. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Same here... This G&G forum is like a library of good info, to be referred to and discussed as need arises, several times over, until it soaks in and has application for our needs.

16. this is the 1st time i have EVER looked at the date.
    i only did it just now because you said something.
    the date doesnt concern me.
    what i can learn does.

17. In truth I didn't notice the date at first, but I did notice that Klaus has responded. Klaus hasn't been around G&G for two years so I knew it was an old thread.

18. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

Well, I have a ported .357 Magnum (Taurus, yes) and first, I'm with everyone else when I say "Huh?". They don't allow jacketed rounds? I can't imagine a cheap copper jacket is going to make that much difference to the backers.

My range only lets you shoot ammo you buy there (mind you, they do give you a member discount) and I can't even recall seeing unjacketed rounds there.

Anyway, that aside, I haven't noticed any particular difficulties with cleaning the ports in general. I suggest you get a very thin copper brush that you'd use for craft projects, or cleaning small pipes (I had to look this up, like a deburring brush) and use that on the ports. Many of them have flexible shafts so you can clean from inside the barrel, too.

I like to clean any firearm I take out every time I do (so long as I put a reasonable number of rounds through it, 100 or more) not only to keep it in good shape, but because I find it kind of relaxing too.

- Coeloptera