Lead poisoning in condors, venison prompts Idaho conference

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LiveToShoot, May 12, 2008.

1. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

I'm wondering where the delegates of this conference are trying to go with their lead poisoning concerns and lead bullet inferences, and how it will potentially effect us reloaders?

Lead poisoning in condors, venison prompts Idaho conference

Associated Press
    The potential risk of lead poisoning from high-velocity bullets, whether to carrion-eating condors in the Grand Canyon or to food bank patrons in the Midwest, is the subject of a scientific conference next week.
    The issue has been heightened since North Dakota and Minnesota officials instructed food bank operators to clear their shelves of venison donated by hunters this year.
    The move raised complaints from Safari Club International of Somerset, N.J., whose members gave about 316,000 pounds of venison to the needy last year under the group's Sportsmen Against Hunger program, and Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry of Williamsport, Md., which donates more than 282,000 pounds of venison in 27 states annually.
    The four-day gathering that begins today at Boise State University includes more than 50 presentations on issues ranging from lead poisoning among subsistence hunting Inuits in Alaska and Russia, lead levels in ravens in southern Yellowstone National Park, lead found in swans in Western Washington state and the politics of nontoxic ammunition.
    "You're collecting a huge weight of evidence to infer or perhaps even prove there's a serious health risk, certainly to wildlife, but perhaps even to humans," said Rick Watson, vice president of The Peregrine Fund in Boise, a raptor recovery center that is sponsoring the conference.
    "That should promote if not actual remediation of the problem, then further research on where there are gaps in that knowledge," Watson said Friday.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. George Bruce

George Bruce Guest

scientific, eh?

I doubt real science has much to do with it.

3. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I have used Nosler Partition bullets for years and have wondered why I have NEVER found a piece of the bullet in my deer. As some of you know the front half of a Nosler partition pretty much goes to pieces doing as much damage as posssible, while the 2nd half of the partition remains intact driving deep. The best of both worlds.

Some years I process my own deer, some years not. I would think I would find something sooner or later...but nothing.

As a Minnesota resident I was glad I had not donated my venison to the food shelves...only to have it thrown in the garbage.

Soylent Green is the answer to the worlds hunger problem. I say we start with some of those in attendance to the conference above.

Soylent Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

"You're collecting a huge weight of evidence to infer or perhaps even prove there's a serious health risk, certainly to wildlife"

Yep, 150 grains at 3000 fps, is not real healthy for wildlife.

Ron

5. Anyone who hasn't figured out that this is just a smokescreen to get lead bullets outlawed is dumb as a rock. If there was any truth to it where are all the poisoned hunters?

6. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

It's just another gun-grabbers ploy to get the sheeple to believe there is a big danger of lead poisoning caused by hunting with lead bullets so the sheeple need to contact their Congressmen asking for a national ban on the manufacture of ammo. with lead bullets.

7. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

8. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

+1

Lead metal is relatively stable and presents little inherent risk (vice TEL, paint, and the like). I've NEVER heard of lead poisoning by a bullet (unless it was moving pretty fast at the time ..........)

Dumping venison with hungry people in the world ? Now, that's criminal.

DWF--PBS ? really ........... :( (sorry I couldn't resist ! -- not trying to be mean)

I wonder if Soylent Green would make your IQ drop these days.......In light of the "lead" people.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  9. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

Hahahahaha....pffffffffffffffffffft, fly boy.
    I do agree that dumping that meat should be a criminal offense unless it was tested and proven to be unsafe.

10. If any of you want to donate to me I'll be glad to take it. Throwing away good food is a sin against God and man. I hate waste.

11. Zen900

Zen900 Guest

ALL houses made before 1960 were painted with lead based paint. A wooden house would be painted with an exterior lead/paint mixture of as high as 60% lead. The old paint flaked to the ground and remains there virtually forever. Vinyl siding is a method of lead encapsulation, Wall paper is also aform of encapsulation. Houses are the main source of lead contamination. There is a lead breathable dust in old houses. Even the White House. So if a bird lands on the ground near an old house it then flies off with lead on the bottom of its claws. Cats and dogs track lrad into the house. House paint flakes fall off and are washed into rivers. You can see how insidious lead paint is.

I doubt house paint will even be mentioned at this summit. BTW plastic window shades made in China today have a high lead content.

Bullets are the least part of the lead problem but they are the easiest for liberals to target.

12. Fishhead

Fishhead G&G Evangelist

It is criminal. It is called wanton waste, and has been a game law violation in every state I have hunted in.

13. George Bruce

George Bruce Guest

the attendees should be tested for lead deficiency. I suspect they're positive.

14. Windwalker, I completely agree with you. The big problem with all of it, people are actually listening to this crap and believing it without so much as a drop of evidence. At least that's what I think.

We all know California has banned it in certain areas. What I want to know and see, is the condors that have already been poisoned or died from this? Did anyone even prove any of this or did someone cry wolf and everyone else believed without any proof?

15. Fishhead

Fishhead G&G Evangelist

Here is what the local paper had to say on the issue. It sounds to me like the jury is still out. Near the bottom of the story is a "comments" link that is interesting reading. Enjoy

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/379932.html

16. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

The message of persuasion for the lead heads attack is back in the media:

Idaho raptor group: Study confirms lead fragments in venison

Associated Press
    BOISE -- An Idaho raptor group working to eliminate lead from ammunition has released study findings that it says show ground venison from 80 percent of 30 deer killed with high-velocity lead bullets contains metal fragments.
    The Peregrine Fund, based in Boise, and researchers from Washington State University in Pullman, Wash., say it is further evidence people who eat meat from game animals shot with lead bullets risk exposure to the toxic metal.
    Separately, the North Dakota Health Department and the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are planning a study on nearly 700 people who eat meat from wild game harvested with lead bullets, to determine health risks, if any.
    The suggestion that lead bullets could make venison unsafe for humans has prompted outrage from pro-hunting groups such as Safari Club International, of Somerset, N.J., and the Connecticut-based National Shooting Sports Foundation, a firearms industry group, after North Dakota and Minnesota in March and April instructed food banks there to pull hunter-donated venison from their shelves.
    "It's hard to keep lead out of butchered meat," said Grainger Hunt, a scientist with The Peregrine Fund who worked on the study, which focused on 30 white-tailed deer killed by standard, lead-core, copper-jacketed bullets fired from a high-powered rifle. "They left lead in 80 percent of those deer we brought in. We found that people who consume venison often consume lead."
    Hunt declined Tuesday to comment on the specific health implications — the study didn't cover that. Further work by epidemiologists will have to determine that, he said.

------------

I grew up on wild game, and never heard of finding a bullet fragment in the meat...unless it was from ducks, geese or pheasant and a BB was found.

Also, there's more lead in older people's teeth, in their fillings, than what is safe for their health...according to the lead danger logic these lead heads are using.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  17. I'm not opposed to lead free bullets or shot if a perfect or better replacement can be found. And it's not expensive.
    What's wrong with that ?
    Lead will leach into our water system and is a proven health hazard to children and adults.

Some times changes have to be made for our health and enviroment.
    There's nothing wrong with this and as reponsible gun owners we need to think green too.
    A.H

18. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Thinking and acting green can be and is good for our earth and environment. Like you, I enjoy the great outdoors as much as the next person and do my part to preserve and protect it.

However, back door efforts by the environmental folks to manipulate and restrict shooting are not green, they are brown...the kind of brown that stinks.

Let's look deeper into where they can take this kind of persuasive argument about bullets and then guns...and I think we'll realize there is more to this issue than appears on the surface.