Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never realy considered a 22 LR as a 100yrd rifle...always used them for plinking at under 50yrds....just did not think they would shoot well at 100yds ....welp took the 17 and the new savage 22 too the range today. The MArlin 17Hrm refused to hit paper with the 6x18 scope (had a miss matched pair of rings causeing the rifle too shoot 3ft low at 25 yards)....SO I sighted int he Savage 22 with a 3x9 Tasco at 50 yards.....not too bad.....welp Im at the range so might as well try it at 100 yards...kinda windy but hate to waste a day at the range.....so backed the target up to 100 ydrds and tossed some clay pigions that were laying around on the berm.....few shoots to adjust the scoope (seems to be a 6" drop from 50yrds too 100 yrds)..... and WOW the thing did great!!!!! Seemed to like the BULK Federal el cheapo wal-mart stuff a lot better than the Hyper volicity Aquilia, Stinger and Valocater...... It was kinda fun shooting the clays and targets with the cheap no recoil stuff :)

So I learned that a 22 will shoot well at 100 yrds....
Also that Savage makes a great rifle....100 bucks for a free floating barrel 22 ....the trigger is a little heavy but that can be fixed....but nice rifle.....going to have to start bringing that to the 100yd line when I shoot he 458 to keep from haveing to leave after an hour cause Im out of ammo :)

Ill attach a pic....the coin is a dime...the scratchey stuff on the 6 Oclock area is were the shoot and see target got folded and blown around in back of my car......yes I know all the shots are on the left side :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
great shooting!!! i used to do alot of 100yd .22 shooting, was more fun and challenging than 50yd's. same reason, after all the big gun ammo was gone, why change ranges:D

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,061 Posts
Nice shooting, Doglips!

I have three .22 rifles that I know will shoot sub-inch groups at 100 yards - My BSA MkII Martini, Winchester 75T and Norinco JW27. The Norinco was a surprise - great little sporter!
I still have some others to try, but it's really windy here. Had to limit Saturday's rimfire shooting to 25 yards - anything more was just a waste of ammo. Good handgun blasting day . . . ;)

That lil .17 Hummer should be able to pop flies off the target board at 100 yards - these things are unGodly accurate! :eek:

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I coulda told you that!

""So I learned that a 22 will shoot well at 100 yrds....
Also that Savage makes a great rifle....100 bucks for a free floating barrel 22 ....the trigger is a little heavy but that can be fixed....but nice rifle.....going to have to start bringing that to the 100yd line when I shoot he 458 to keep from haveing to leave after an hour cause Im out of ammo ""

I have the same rifle, and it is an awesome rifle. I use the same Federal bulk box ammo with similkar results. It burns cleaner (it seems) than the CCI stuff and is spot on. I have had only 3 or 4 misfires with the federal as comaperd to as many with the CCI.

I shot one box of CCI and prolly 3 of the huge box o federal cartridges...

Savage makes an awesome, accurate .22 rifle. Same for the centerfire ones too!

My only gripe is the friggin 10 round clip. I have 4 of them and will get a few more, but would prefer some 30 rounders for range plinking.

Nice shootin too!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
My best friend bought 2 $99 wal mart specials for his wife and step daughter for x mass. They are good little shooters. Thinking of buying one myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts