Least favorite thread subject...Most favorite thread subject

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Oxford, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I just came inside from mowing my lawn where I was thinking about an idea for a new thread. Of course, my best thinking is done when my mind is at rest. Now that's most of the time so when it does get a thought that's the opposite of a senior moment. There must be a name for "the opposite of a senior moment". Anyway, here's what hit me like a bolt of lightning...

It would be interesting, at the very least, to know:

1. What discussion topics on the forum gets members the most stirred up. ("Stirred up" meaning ticked off)

2. What discussion topics on the forum gets members the most excited to discuss. ("Enjoy" meaning fun to discuss)

Here's mine:

1.(Dislike) What I consider ignorant comments about public education, teachers, and school operations.

2.(Like) Other than gun stories, I enjoy joking around with each other on about any subject.

Ok...now fess up. Time to confess and write down your likes and dislikes. We all know what they are without even reading them, just from what you've previously written. Now, be honest with us.

Oxford :D :nod:

2. Eric

Eric Guest

# 1: Religeon, without a doubt.

# 2: Me, I signed on for the 1911 and AR boards.....I love talking on those, but they seem to have died....bottom line it's the Gun Room.

3. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 Guest

1 Could be anythang 2 could be anythang I'm not picky

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Get tired of arguements about god, my favorites is anything I post!:D ;) :rolleyes:

5. 7mmag6

7mmag6 Guest

yea religion is taboo, politics is not, we all seem to be like minded, like the preacher preaching to the choir

6. Cyclops

Cyclops Guest

Me, I tend to like all things 'FIREARMS' related...the guns, the games, the people, the ever growing list of accessories, and now all the forums I've discovered.
    The topics I like are ones where a members asks a question & the responses are truly helpful and the true intelligence of the membership shines. I also like posts where I just out loud laugh or where pics of some fine firearms are posted for all to enjoy.
    The topics I don't like are the ones where gun owners are made fun of because they like a particular brand of firearm or try to convince membership that they are inferior because they don't like a particular maker.

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

like i most of all is the posters and their ramblings, what ever the subject. the occasional donnybrook, or brawl is good!!!:rolleyes: ;) :D

8. You already know what my answer is, but I need to stay away from religion threads. I like things dealing with the Middle East and NWO. And of course prophecy.

9. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i prophecy that the NWO ill be headquarted in the Middle East!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

10. BenP

BenP Guest

#1 I like debating philosophical issues where I can support my assertions with logic and facts.

#2 I don't like it when the issues get personal. Discussions should focus on issues, not people, unless the person being discussed solicits such communication, like someone asking for an opinion about something they did or are considering doing.

#3 I hate not being able to read the tone of someone's comment. Oral communication is so much better sometimes, don't you agree.

11. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Yes, like when someone says "dah" you can tell more about his problem.

When he misspells "dah" and you can't see him you definitely know another one of his problem, too.
    :D

12. 7mmag6

7mmag6 Guest

Oxford, I value your opinions on the state of public education in this country, you should post more of your thoughts on this subject, where is it at this point in time, and what do you think the future will be, you are the most qualified here by far and away, and I wonder greatly about what you think the state of public education is becoming in this country, and your vision for the future, spell check is down as usuall, so any diction mistakes I apollogize for

13. What ever happened to the New Babylon that Hussein was building? Haven't heard anything about it in a long time.

14. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Thoughts on a modern school

7mmmag: Thanks for your comments. Occasionally someone's post triggers me to expound on that subject,(education) especially if I believe missinformation has been used in a post.

I'm definitely not an authority on the subject of education but I have lots of experience to back up what I say. Therefore, I'm not likely to overlook something posted that I believe is off base.

My experience was as an industrial technology teacher in secondary education for 12 years, vocational coordinator of trades & industries for five, coordinator of vocational marketing education for 12 more years.

Then I moved into the administrative offices of a large school district (20,000 students, 29 schools, and 44 bldgs to become director of school operations for nine more years before retiring. I was responsible for all construction, maintenance and operations of the district.

I only mention these things because it may help you understand why I believe I know a little about a modern school program.

During those years I saw lots of good/bad changes in education. Operational expenses rose unbelievable. Program requirements changed dramatically. Technology available to students/teachers/staff changed almost everything in the modern school programs.(mostly for the better)

Many students today don't realize the advantages they have with today's technologies available to them. Most schools are air conditioned. Athletic programs are available equally for male and females(causing a huge strain on gyms & outdoor fields).

Along with these improved features students have the stresses resulting from the social problems of these times...drugs, sexual freedom, attitudinal problems, rigid graduation requirements, higher expectations by parents/teachers, and many others.

As for what I see as the future for public education...Lots of changes will continue to happen. They'll be happening at an even faster rate, though. We'll see more students using vouchers to attend all kinds of educational programs.

Public schools will take on an even greater importance as the gap between the poor and affluent students affects their decisions on where to get an education. Public schools will continue to be the best educational opportunity for the vast majority of students who have no other affordable choices.

The school year will be expanded to all year long, with breaks between trimesters, as some colleges do now. With air conditoned buildings it's now possible to have programs that weren't possible during the hotter months.

So these are some of the thoughts I have on the subject of education in America at this date. Don't want to bore anyone with too much digressing on the subject of schools for now so I'll wrap it up.

Oxford :nod:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2002
  15. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Postings I like the most are honest and tell it like it is to the best of the posters ability.
    Postings I like the least are those tainted by political correctness and out right lies that the poster knows are such.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :cool: