Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is something to be said for quality leather. Shown below is a little leather eight-cartridge holder I picked up for belt wearing. Handling it and loading it just seems to hit the right spot, if you know what I mean. For perspective, those are 35 Whelen cartridges and a shot of Sazerac (whiskey also seems to go well with fine leather). Thought I'd start this thread to see how others regard good quality leather belts, ammo pouches, slings, etc. as part of their gun life, and which items they would recommend.
upload_2020-11-30_9-30-18.png

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one is a little different for a leather sling. It's called a "ching sling" and instead of looping it around your forearm like a traditional sling, the leather is split and presses against the back of your upper arm, as shown in the picture below. Available from Galco which usually makes pretty decent leather products. Tempted to get one just to see if it actually works better, although the thin width of that split leather makes me think it will stretch too much over time. I usually figure traditional designs become traditional because they've proven themselves reliable in the field and so these kinds of innovations may or may not be a good idea, but if anyone else has used a "ching sling" please share your experience with it.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I gave one of my sons a Marlin older JM lever action in 45/70 a few years ago. I also bought this style lace on leather cartridge holder that goes on the stock. Here is a pic of one like I bought.

Very nice!

what's the story on the different sized cartridges on the same gun?

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
I do like leather holsters for pistols and leather rifle slings - the kind that adjust quickly to make a loop for shooting; can't remember what they're called. Hasty Sling? Latigo Sling?

·
Premium Member
9,104 Posts
Very nice!

what's the story on the different sized cartridges on the same gun?
I am not sure and a good question. That one is an internet pic and the same as the one i got like I said in the post. . I am thinking the rifle cartridges and maybe ammo for a large caliber side arm?

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I am not sure and a good question. That one is an internet pic and the same as the one i got like I said in the post. . I am thinking the rifle cartridges and maybe ammo for a large caliber side arm?
gotcha!

I was thinking it could be two of the same caliber cartridge's, but one with full length/size bullets, and one with shorter "gallery load" type.

for instance; 30-06 180 gn Hp's, and then 30-06 cases with less powder and something like m1 carbine bullets loaded into the cases.

I've seen that before with .308. though them being steel cases makes that theory unlikely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts