Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
<------------<<<-
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to start posting up pictures of my leather projects here. If anyone else has projects, feel free to show them off! Constructive criticism is welcome!

This is my latest project:

Glasses Hand Neck Sleeve Bag

·
<------------<<<-
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Austinjoe13, Very very nice. Do you have any books to recommend on fabricating and stitching up leather. I'd be interested.
I’m not sure of any books. I got interested by modifying a holster, then I watched some videos on basic leatherwork. Hobby Lobby had a book on basics the other day. It looked like a good rundown on the basics plus an intro to carving and tooling.

·
<------------<<<-
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here’s my Glock 19 holster that I did last year. This was my first attempt at basket weave stamping. I did not wet the leather, so the stamps didn’t take as well as I would have liked. Regardless, I wear the holster quite often. I threw it on to go to the movies tonight, actually.

Computer Hand Personal computer Laptop Light

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I’m not sure of any books. I got interested by modifying a holster, then I watched some videos on basic leatherwork. Hobby Lobby had a book on basics the other day. It looked like a good rundown on the basics plus an intro to carving and tooling.
Happy Easter - thanks for the tip on Hobby Lobby, I will check it out. Take care and and enjoy the day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
howdy, from the Tulsa, area. have you tried the Tandy Leather web sight? They have a series of pretty good books, by "Al Stohlman". I have the one on hand sewing leather. It's basic, but pretty well illustrated.
I recently built myself a "stitching pony", from examples I found on Pinterest, and e-bay. Helps a lot.

·
<------------<<<-
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
howdy, from the Tulsa, area. have you tried the Tandy Leather web sight? They have a series of pretty good books, by "Al Stohlman". I have the one on hand sewing leather. It's basic, but pretty well illustrated.
I recently built myself a "stitching pony", from examples I found on Pinterest, and e-bay. Helps a lot.
Now that you mention Tandy, their videos have been very helpful for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There's a Tandy store here in Tulsa, that I visit, {and contribute to}, every couple of weeks. I need to get back there soon, to get more leather. Most of my supplies have come from a tack store that closed a couple of years ago. Working with old harness leather has been interesting to say the least.

·
<------------<<<-
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cut out a big chunk of leather for a possibles bag for muzzleloading. I’ve been wanting one for years, and now I’m finally jumping on it. It will be a fairly basic one, and I’m thinking I’ll lace it together rather than stitch it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’m going to start posting up pictures of my leather projects here. If anyone else has projects, feel free to show them off! Constructive criticism is welcome!

This is my latest project:

View attachment 174167
I don't makeanything of consequence with leather, beyond tough guy bracelet type of stuff. Would like to get into it though. I would, however, like to say that steak branders (brands?) work very well on anything leather or wood.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts