Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about throwing a hint out to the family about my birthday present coming up in a couple of months, and thought some reloading equipment might be a nice way to go without breaking the bank.

Since I shoot mostly Mosins, I probably can't claim with a straight face that I need to save money on ammo, or that reloading will do it. But it might be a good way for me and number two son to spend time in between shooting excursions, if I can pry him off his computer. And I imagine my nephew will line up to use it for .45 ACP.

Does the Lee Anniversary kit sound like a reasonable way to get started?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,511 Posts
The Progressive press can have problems with some longer rifle cases. I prefer the single-stage "O-press" for rifle use. Luckily this is what the "Anniversary Kit" has - good choice! :nod:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I still use a lot of the stuff that came with the anniversary kit but I did upgrade to the classic cast press. Its a good start and the price is nice too.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The Lee Anaversary kit is how I got started. It has everything you need to prepare cases for reloading.

I did manage to break the linkage on the press while trying to get a stuck case out. Cost of the replacement part is $3.00.

I now use an RCBS Rockchucker press. It's a bit more heavy duty.

My son just loaded his first tray of .303 British at "his" loading bench this evening. I am setting him up with some of my unused reloading equipment. It is a great way to spend some time with your son. And then you get to take him shootin'.

Lee Precision, also has a program to help new reloaders get started. They have returned / repaired equipment they can not package and resale. So, they offer it to new reloaders at a very real discount. Check it out.

Nick

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response, people. My son was surprisingly enthusiastic when I mentioned it to him. Between him and the nephew, I may have to fight for my turn at the bench.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Set up TWO benches. I did.<G>

Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts