Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Officially the tin box kit was only issued for the No.5, for the reason stated. (Source: Infantry Training, No.4 Rifle & Bayonet.) However people may have 'hung on' to kits. Additionally, it is exactly the same size as a British 2 Ounce tobacco tin and so people may have made up kits of their own.

The demise of the 2 oz. tin has lead to the loss of valuable resource for storing small stuff in workshops and sheds throughout the UK.
Ain't that the truth!

I remember moving into a new house in the '80's, formerly owned by an retired engineer, and spending months going throught the shed and garage contents, mostly stored in a huge variety of 'baccy tins. Some were the 2oz size and others the 200 cigarette ?ex army? type.

Sweet Afton, 3 Castles, Woodies and GV..

Still using screws and nails from there!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just came across a British WW2 gun cleaning kit like the one pictured above comeplete with screens and everything, it has a soldier's initials SB engraved on it and it has definitely been used.
Does anyone know what it may be worth?
I'm afraid that the answer is: "Whatever someone is willing to pay." They aren't at all rare but for some No.5 owners they are a must have.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts