Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Guest Moderator
228 Posts
Hello. I like those things, too. Here's one I had set up about 10 years ago on a brand new No4 Mk2 or is it No2 Mk4? I can never keep the SMLE model designations straight! It has the original stock, which is just painted, a recoil pad, and a blk parkerized finish. The scope is a Leupold 2X pistol scope and the bbls been shortened to 20." The front sight was replaced with one that is "right" for the battle peep setting @ 100 yards, but the scope would have to be removed to use it. The gun has a trigger job and a trigger stop.

Last year, it was used to cleanly take the doe shown with a handloaded Sierra 150 SP. Distance was only about 50 yds. I built it to use on feral hogs.

Best.

·
Tradehawker LLC / www.tradehawker.com / Jn 17:17
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! The Lee Enfield lends itself to a nice platform for a scout rifle. I use 150 gr. Hornaday Light Magnums. The ballistics match standard pressure .308 rounds.

·
Guest Moderator
228 Posts
Hello, sir, and thank you for the kind words. The handload I'm using is just below that. I think it's doing about 2550 ft/sec which is fine. Penetration was complete on the deer. At the slightly reduced velocity, the Sierra doesn't expand quite as aggressively. Surprisingly, I tried a 125 gr JSP over a little stouter charge, but still not enough to strain the gun, and get something like 2900 ft/sec. Both group pretty darned well at 100 yards off a bench, but I use 25 yard pistol targets as that makes about the right size "dot" for use with the 2X scope.

Best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts