close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lee Enfields #4's

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Charlie, May 5, 2002.

1. Charlie

Charlie G&G Newbie

Indy
    Ok guys, whats a good #4? Fazakerley,Long Branch, etc......and why. I'm new to enfields but got the bug bad.

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

OK, all the #4's are good as long as you check a few things: headspace... this must be checked on any Enfield you shoot with a headspace gague (Brownell's has them). The barrel... the barrel should (for a good shooter), have a shiny bore with little or no frost. The bore should also be calibrated if you have the chance... some #4's were oversized in the bore, but this is more common among #1 MK3's. The bolt head should be checked as well as the extractor. A #0 or 1 bolt head means (if your rifle headspaces ok) that your chamber has much life left. A #2 or 3 bolt head means your chamber has some life left but will need the barrel turned back with continued shooting to rechamber the headspace. The extractor needs checking to make sure it works properly.

The Longbranches are beautiful #4's and if they are close to mint, will have a nice blued finish. The Fazakerlys will usually be painted black. Both are fine rifles. If it were me, I'd look for a postwar Longbranch or a #4 MK 1/2, #4 MK1/3, or a #4 MK2 Fazakerly. The previous models mentioned were postwar conversions to the #4 MK1's trigger and triggerguard to make them more reliable. The #4 MK 1 RFI's (India) are fine shooters also. I have found all different grooved barrels (2 groove, 5 groove,ect.) to be accurate.

Get some non-corrosive .303 from Aim Surplus while you can.

Enjoy!

Jesse

3. Jesse

4. Charlie

Charlie G&G Newbie

Indy
    Thanks for the information. I think I let a near mint Longbranch get away today - 1954 and it was blued and had no wear that I could find. The stock had normal dings.

5. Jesse

If you are looking for a really nice #4, and don't mind spending a little extra $ for a handpicked example follow this link:
    http://www.armscenter.com/nca/index.html
    Kevin Carney and I have done a lot of business since I got my C&R FFL. Tell him I sent you and he will hook you up with a really nice #4. Just have a dealer handy that can fire him an FFL copy if you don't have a C&R License.

Jesse

6. Enfield stock

Can anyone direct me to a stock maker for a "sporter" to replace the stock on my #4 Mk.1? Someone really chopped the stock up and took the top wood off. It is not properly balanced and looks terrible.
    Appreciate it.
    Bill.:)

7. Steve Redgwell

Steve Redgwell G&G Newbie

I don't know for sure if they ca help you, but try http://www.boydboys.com . They used to sell wood replacement stocks for the LE. One of very companies that will give you wood.

Safe Shooting! :nod:
    Steve Redgwell
    303british.com

8. nurse

nurse G&G Newbie

Iowa
    I just bought three NO 4 MK 1,,all have different cocking knobs,
    one has smooth wood on top, and is marked FTR,England ,AO
    and dated 1943 has lift up micro sight, this rifle has a oval shaped cocking knob, second one has long grooves on top wood from reciever, its marked 1943, has flat cocker with grooves,same sight, no other markings but NO 4 MK1, these two rifles have 2
    groove rifling, the third rifle has 5 grooves and is junk, the bore is
    pitted and the grooves seem to be allmost gone,wood is rot,
    pitting deep in reciever,how do you tell where these guns were
    used at, who made them?

9. Steve Redgwell

Steve Redgwell G&G Newbie

Who made them is pretty easy. The serial No tells all. As to where they've been, well, that's virtually impossible to tell unless they're marked with regimental Nos./unit stampings.

Safe Shooting! :nod:
    Steve Redgwell
    303british.com