Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my first time here. I have a question.
I got a ChiCom M14 in on a trade and I am going to sell it on a auction site. The thing is it has a USGI flash suppresor with bayonet lug. Is this ilegal? I've a couple of people say it doesn't matter, but I want to go by what the law says, just to cover my butt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Legal ?

Packrat,
The legality question is difficult to answer. It could depend on when the rifle was improrted. I can't remember if any of them could be altered, but I'm pretty sure that if it had a closed supressor it is illegal to replace it with an open one.
One thing I do remember from my days as a dealer is that the rifle isn't safe to fire. It might come apart on the first round or it might take a thousand, but I will blow up. Some of the imported M-14 had soft receivers and barrels and some too hard, but none were of proberly treated steel. There were some companies that retreated some of the rifles, but I wouldn't bet my life on any of them.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Like Hank said,
It depeds on date of import as to if its a pre ban or not. if its a pre ban its cool if its not a pre ban gun its not cool with the boys in black(ATF) to put pre ban parts on it.
If you plan on selling it on an auction maybe you should have some kind of disclaimer in the add like sold as collectable if you intend on shooting this have a gunsmith verify its condition or something you know how the anti guners would love to just sue somebody for anything.
From what I have read on the chi-com Hank is dead on, they have flaws and may be dangerous to shoot.

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
I don't know what your priorities are, but grinding off a bayonet lug isn't too hard, if that's something you'd consider.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I'll try to find one that is orginal, a solid type. I want to be legal and obey the law ya know. And who ever buys it can do whatever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts