length-what difference does it make

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by hannaclayton, Sep 29, 2020.

1. hannaclayton

hannaclayton G&G Newbie

I am curious what others think about guns with different barrel lengths and what would be the noticeable differences?

Example, I am thinking about the Springfield XDE. I see it comes in 3.3in, 3.8in and 4.5in.

Why would one be better than another or is it just personal preference?

Junction15 likes this.
  2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Longer barrels generally give you more velocity (up to a point), which in turn gives you more Foot Pounds of Energy.

It is a trade-off with concealability, if that is the intended purpose.

If it is a "Range" gun, get the longest barrel, for target shooting, because of the longer "sight radius" making it easier to keep on target.

3. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Muzzle velocity, recoil impulse, sight radius, powder burn, muzzle flash, portability, size while clearing rooms, and probably a bunch of other stuff, are all considerations.

A longer barrel isn’t necessarily better, but it’s got some distinct advantages when looking at ballistics. Up to a point. A short stubby fits in your jacket a lot better than your Ruger Redhawk.

jwrauch and Ten Man like this.
  4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    length-what difference does it make

A question that is probably better answered by a female. ;):p

jwrauch, Kellen and rando like this.
  5. As far as barrel length and accuracy, I read an article many moons ago where they tested a 44 magnum revolver. They fired groups as it was from the factory and then cut an inch off the barrel, recrowned it, and fired another group. The repeated the process and recorded the findings till the barrel was down to an inch long with varying results. Different lengths fired different size groups with the 1 inch barrel doing the best.

jwrauch and Jack Ryan like this.
  6. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    All of my revolvers are 22,38,357 and 44 Mag. The shortest barrel I have on any is 6" and longest is 8 1/2". I use them for range shooting and hunting too. I look at as the longer barrel is more accurate for me. Reason is the longer barrel is less recoil' As the longer barrel the weight is distributed longer and balanced. Also when aiming it is a longer plane and distance between front and rear sight. I have shot small barreled revolvers and not for me. Good for a carry weapon for sure but not for hunting. I have shot the tiny short barreled revolvers and are harder to tame and excessive recoil with a magnum in short barrel. All of my semi autos are the longer barreled full size also.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Dannyboy53 likes this.
  7. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    One time I bench rested two different brands of snub nosed .357's.

One a Ruger Security Six and the other a S&W 66. Both grouped with the same 125gr JHP loads at 25yds. 6 shots each Group roughly 3/4".

Dannyboy53 likes this.
  8. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    It depends on the intended use.

for concealed carry, get the shorter one.
    if its for general purpose useage( like say you only have one pistol and need it to be a jack of all trades, master of few), i'd probably go with the middle one, for accuracy or just range usage, the longer sight radius of the longer one becomes beneficial.

for a handgun, accuracy is going to have a lot more to do with the shooter than the gun or barrel lenght. practice with whichever one you get is paramount.

yes a longer barrel will have a bit more energy, but with most self defense load/ distance, even the 3.3" will have plenty of energy.

if its just a nightstand / drawer gun, it doesn't really matter which one you get. the only area youll really notice a different is in concealability.

Dannyboy53 and rando like this.
  9. Dannyboy53

Dannyboy53 G&G Evangelist

10. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    And 9mm or 45 acp.

Several things to think over here. In my mind concealability is the least. From smallest to longest is just one inch. I believe all the other dimensions are the same aren't they?

On the power and accuracy though that one inch is 33% longer for better powder burn, absorb more energy from a longer push from the barrel, and 33% longer sight radius.

MOST civilian self defense scenarios none of that is going to make the slightest difference but in a few it MIGHT. If it is a one gun, if I carry it will be THIS gun, I would get the longer barrel.

If it is to be pure self defense, your middle of the night or go to walmart gun both, if trouble ever does get hold of the end of that gun in the dark that can be a real problem. That 33% longer barrel is giving your attacker 33% more leverage to control where you point it or to twist it to get it away from and over power you. If they can hold on to it, or press it directly against the attacker or anything else it can easily be pushed out of battery and will not fire.

I've never fired an XDE but I have shot an XDM many times and they are excellent weapons.

11. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hanna, the barrel lengths you listed won't be all that much difference as far as power and accuracy, when using the same ammunition
    The biggest factors will be: How well does the gun feel in your hand? How does it feel to shoot? It would be great if you can get a chance to try one out.

As was said, the shorter gun will fit into a pocket of purse more easily.
    The trade off for smaller size is the gun will rotate backwards more when you shoot. But if the gun has a good balance, and the grip fits you well, the little extra rotation will not be too difficult to handle.

The longer gun will probably be the most comfortable to shoot. But again. it needs to feel good in your hand. And could be more difficult to carry it in the pocket or purse.

The nice thing I see about the XDE is it looks like it was made to be softer to shoot and to compete with the Smith&Wesson EZ series.