Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I learned a lesson. I know not all hunters are like this. I am not, and I have gone to other states to hunt only wishing some one from the area would befriend me. I imagine most people from g&g would not be like this as they would know thier guns and understand thier limitations, but here is what happend
Last week I went to the valley to the local bar. It was full of all of the out of state hunters that come here every year. I usually avoid these guys not because they are from out of state, but because they are usually pretty snoody (lets face it you have the thousand bucks + to hunt here and can afford to take a month off work you have a right to be snoody I guess). But the black velvet was hitting me good and before long I had talked with one for some time. Commiting the ultimate no no I agreed to take him to a few spots to help him fill a deer tag. in return he said next year I could go to Cali and he would help me get a black tail. So true to my word I show up the next day at his camper. To make a long story short, I took him around for sevral days. He had a few shots at some nice bucks in the 3-4 hundred yard range which he missed by a mile (I advised him to wait until we got closer but he said his 7mm could kill em that far away). He passed on a couple that would have made anyone happy that were within 50 yards. Finally Monday we are crawling along a snowy road and several bucks come out of the trees about 800 yards ahead and start to browse in the sage brush. We stop and get out. My 10 yr old boy puts up the spotting scope on the hood and the guy nearly shoves him out of the way to get at it. I look and there are two really nice deer. as I am looking and telling him we can go down the road and be within about 30 yards of them, this guy shoots, from behind us, off hand, 800 yards, right over my kids head. He hits one of the deer square in the hind quarters knocking it down. My son, rubbing his ears tells him the deer is still moving and to shoot again. Indeed the deer is still down there, back legs paralized running on its front legs but going no where. so I tell him he needs to shoot. he mumbels something about ruining the cape for a head mount and starts walking. I drive down and get there about the time he does. the deer is still running with its front legs, going no place and staring wildly back at him. My boy is just freaking out. The guy just stands there watching like its a movie or something. I get mad and tell him to shoot the f*&^%%^ thing. so, to keep his mount in good condition, he shoots point blank into the chest on an angle and blows the front leg on the far side completely off. So with 2 shoots he has pretty much ruined 1/2 the meat. then he gets out a pen kinfe (no kidding maybe a 2 inch blade, maybe) and I say what you gonna do with that? he cuts striaght into the guts pericing them and immediatly I can smell it. I just turned and went back to the truck. Once there my boy says "dad you arent really gonna go hunting with this guy again are you?" I say no. He says "good cause I think he is an ass". I say "yup. dont let your mom hear you talk like that". When the guy is done cleaning, I help him load the deer and we drive back to his camp where his buddies all are thrilled and want to know where he got it. of course he says "Ill show you tomarrow". after we hang it and I am getting ready to leave he tells me he has an elk tag and would like my help finding a good one. I told him I would be there wend. morning. but here I am. thank heaven he has no idea where I live there were elk in back of the house this morning. Makes me feel bad because it seemed like a nice thing to do, and I am seldom nice, and I really would like to have gone and hunted for black tail. The part that pisses me off is I wonder if the guy thinks I took him just because he bought me a couple drinks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Who really cares what a guy with no hunting ethics thinks anyway? He has probably never even seen a blacktail. I'm thinking you should have wrapped his 7mm around his head for firing it that close to your son.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Gosh, that's pretty scary. I don't mind giving advice on where to find deer, but I have only once taken someone on a trip, and they were a good friend of mine. Even though I knew this person very well, the entire thing was on my conditions. My rifle was the only rifle we had, the only one that would be used, and I carried it until we were ready to take the shot.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but it's great that your son was able to point out how much of an idiot he was.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
belive me mrbassantlers I considered putting him in a hole. When I got home and told the wife she was freaking furious and had a lot of suggestions that went along those lines. My boys behavior and attitude were the only highlights of the whole thing. Even now I feel kinda proud at how he responded and acted. It is good to know that some of what I say sinks in. Accept the calling the guy an ass part the wife would so say I was a bad example she hates cursing.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Idaho Dave you did a good deed that went south and you've learned from it.
Matter of fact you put up with more than I could had. I would of left him there !!!
Thanks for shareing your story to keep all us mindful to not make the same mistake.

I had a guy one time tell me that he and his son were going to start hunting with me on my land.
I really liked the guy but had to tell him NO

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dave, you have to remember that children are for the most part very honest creatures. Don't blame your son, he evidently was a very good judge of character. Your wife would've probably been seeking forgiveness for cursing (at the very least) would she have been there. The cali-mans 7 mm would've been recta-cranially inverted had my wife been there.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
A very well nice lesson learned , id a had to just loaded him up and took him back to camp and let him have it politly if he did that to my kid lol

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Sounds like he should've been left there to fend for himself. I'm glad you and your son weren't shot by this idiot and I hope there's no permanent damage to your sons' hearing.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
What a shot!!! Even with a 7mmSTW,sighted in dead on at 200yds which would be average,the drop would be around 15" at 400yds and just about 10'+ at 800yds.What was he using in optics?Most are using 50+or more at that range. He may have been a terrible hunter but he had to be a he** of a shot to even hit a deer at that range.Was there any wind?I dont like the way he hunted but I admire the fact that he could even hit a deer at that range shooting offhand as he must have if he fired over your son.Good luck in your hunting ventures. sam.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The guy got lucky with that shot he missed a couple in the 300-400 yard range which kind of emphasizes that. Everyone gets lucky once in a while. A guy like that shouldn't be allowed to hunt, sure the gun can do its part easy enough but he couldn't do his, randomly taking extreme range potshots at deer.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
there is something strange with that guy i mean you could a got him in very close as you stated but he wanted the long shot, heck id a wanted to be as close as i could be to make a clean humain kill

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that he wanted to wait until morning so he could brag to his buddies about shooting that deer in the chest @ 800 yds without you telling what really happened.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
There's nothing scarier than an idiot with a gun. Did you ever happen to notice if he even used the safety?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've read where out of state hunters have had tires cut by locals. Folks just naturally don't like other folks who buy their way in without paying their dues. Can you imagine a rich guy (who never hunted in his life) going out and trying to learn to hunt by going after squirrel with a 22 single shot? Nahhh. They go out and buy elephant rifles.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I hate out of state hunters. Meet two a few years back during quail season. I was polite asked them how it went for them. Said they had their bag limit. but they seem a bit perplexed that Kansas quail wern't in big covies. Then I looked in the back of their truck. Got their bag limit alright, but it wasn't quail. Medowlark... which bears no resemblance to a quail. Again I was polite and informed them of what they had. I also advised them to be rid of the birds as the Medowlark is the State bird of Kansas. Now that I think about it I wish I had turned them in. If someone is so stupid as that... well they shouldn't be hunting. Yes they were ignorant of the fact of what a quail looks like, but it was stupid to assume that they were shooting quail.
But I digress Dave I you have my sympathies.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
That is a HOT Button here in So. Arkansas we don't even like Central and North Arkansas people hunting down here on our turf much less out of state ones.
I'll spare yall the reason...A.H

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
the out of state hunters here dump a lot of money so the merchants love em.
i dont like hunters period. except when i am hunting:09:
they make it unsafe to be outside

·
Registered
589 Posts
omg... sorry Dave I would have shoved his rifle up his cornhole (muzzle first) and pulled the trigger. a hunting trip isnt a civil war erra battle ground no need to be shooting over people's heads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just for your info not all of us out of state hunters are like this guy. I pay 200 bucks for a any deer tag plus meals and motel. I have never shot anything over 300 yds. And treat the locals like a king. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
71 Posts
Aside from the asinine manner that he conducted himself it gets under my skin when people take long risky shots just for bragging rights. I would rather boast about my still hunting skill and a 5 yard shot with a bow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts