Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.
I've gone shooting my new 3 1/2" barrel .44 mag 3 times now in the last 2 weeks. No more than 100 rds but no less than 50 each time. And I didn't use ANY .44 specials at all. Nope big macho John, gotta use 240 gr full magnum loads. And well...

I can comfortably say that I NOW have the "big boom boom" desire out of my system for a while. My palm feels bruised, my forearm muscles feel like I've been arm wrestling a full grown gorilla, And that little dandy on my inner thumb is from the grips rubbing there from the recoil. (And yes I WAS holding on tight!) So...

Its quite an experince with high velocity/ massive energy rounds. But I think I'm gonna take advantage of the OTHER thing I really like about a .44 mag REVOLVER. IT CAN FEED .44 SPECIALS, as well as magnums. I think from now on the plinking/ sight adjustment activvities will be done with .44 specials, maybe throw in a FEW magnums for kicks. But this solid 50-100 magnum rounds back to back crap ain't happenin anymore! LOL!

But for the record....She shoots beautifully. Nice 5" grouping at 20-25 yds.

·
Premium Member
30,645 Posts
when i 1st got my .454casull i bought some PAST gloves (the padded ones)
they made it more enjoyable.
but then i started WANTING that thumper going off.
now i shoot that stupid thing every chance i get.
i havent used those gloves in a long time.
i want a rifle caliber pistol.
at least a .223

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
If you just cut back to 24 to 30 Magnum rounds per session you might see those groups shrink too over time. If you ever start handloading for it you won't want to shoot anything else. Mid-range middle to heavyweight loads are much more fun for me in my 45Colt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try the lighter weight stuff like the 180gr. They are not so hard on the hand. The blast is a bit more fun too. :)
If you get a cannon...it will jump like a cannon. :ak2:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was just out shooting my SBH yesterday morning. I shot up about 35 handloads. These handloads put out 250 gr cast bullets at around 900 fps.

These loads are very accurate at both 25 and 50 yds.

I had a box of full-power loads along with me yesterday, but never fired one.

I will not try to read your mind and figure out why you seem so devoted to hard-kicking full strength loads for practice.

I'm glad to learn that you are rethinking the matter. When you cut your thumb open and bruise yourself up, and get blast happy, you are probably not hitting the center of the target as well as you could.

Furthermore, midrange-type handloads save you a ton of money.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a 4 5/8" super blackhawk, you want to see some fireworks and feel a thump, fire off a Garret 310gr hammerhead. You definitely know you aren't shooting a pop gun.

Also, I think the single actions handle recoil better by rolling up in your hand. I have never been sore from shooting full house loads, but I never try to out muscle it, but just ride it out, if that makes sense. All in all, I prefer "mid loads" 240gr softpoints, for control-ability and less worry of over penetration.

·
God, Guns, Glory
33,937 Posts
I have a 4 5/8" super blackhawk, you want to see some fireworks and feel a thump, fire off a Garret 310gr hammerhead. You definitely know you aren't shooting a pop gun.

Also, I think the single actions handle recoil better by rolling up in your hand. I have never been sore from shooting full house loads, but I never try to out muscle it, but just ride it out, if that makes sense. All in all, I prefer "mid loads" 240gr softpoints, for control-ability and less worry of over penetration.
I agree.
And I also prefer wood grips. (both Red hawks/Black hawks)
And shoot them ALL single action.

For carrying.
I use nothing but, Alaskan Ammo 320gr bear loads.
For practice & rifle ammo, I use 240gr.

3 1/3" .44's, were never made for enjoyable shooting!
They were made for a lighter weight carry, and protection.

For avoiding the blisters, pain.
Tape thumb, PRIOR to shooting.
Shoot less rounds at once.

Have fun!
:haha:

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
I've got Pachmayr's on my 7 1/2" Redhawk. It's also carrying a Leupold scope, so it's a fairly heavy package. My hunting loads are using only 200 grain bullets, with 27.5 grains of H110 pushing them at 1600 fps or so. It makes a loud noise, causes the grass to wave about 5 or 6 yards out in front of the muzzle, but it isn't too hard on the hands and arms. It also prints 2 inch groups at 50 yards off the bench. Sitting, I can keep them in the palm of your hand if you want to hold it out there.

Beyond that range, I don't know how it does. Where I hunt deer, 50 yards is about as far a clear shot as will be found.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I go along with Rex-Lee and Grizcty.Often I have fired a .44mag with heavy loads or a .454 for that matter hundreds of times in one session and never had it hurt or injure me in any way.There might be something wrong with your hold or somehow it just doesn't fit you,but I have never even seen anyone injured.I have arthritis and neither bother me.The .460/.500 S&W,s do a little but I have fired them 20 times plus with no ill effect.In mag handguns,actually,wood grips help absorb recoil because they are slick and let the gun roll up in your hand.I would get some instructions on how to hold.Stick with it,and best of luck. ,,,sam.

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
it's all in the grips.
i shoot my 450 express and 445/375/357 supermags all i want, cause the grips fit me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts