Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started gathering my reloading supplies and going through them to see what I have. I'm not completely through, because there are things that I know I had that I haven't run across yet.

But, my thoughts wander so to the reason for my post. At the present time (and this could change) I have 421, .243 bullets, ranging from 55 grain VMAX to 100 grain Remington Core-Lokt AND 849 .277 bullets in 130 grain Remington Core-Lokt and 140 grain Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tip's. I don't have a rifle that uses either of these, so here goes.....
.243 Winchester or.270 Winchester? I would like a 6mm Remington, but they are few and far between AND pricey!

Powder and primers are not an issue and I have been able to find brass in both calibers available on-line, plus I SHOULD have brass in my garage (I just haven't come across it yet).

So with that? GO!!!! And let's be civil.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
A .270 with 130 gr. bullets will devastate any varmints. If you're not hide hunting, I'd pick the .270. Minus side is it kicks more, uses more powder. I have all three you mentioned and have shot everything with all. Elk will go down with 6mm bullets of the right type and proper placement. If you decide to go .243 or 6mm Rem. I would sell the .270 bullets. Should be able to get 25 bucks a hundred for the 130 corelocks and 40 bucks a hundred for the 140grs. Use the bullets to barter for a rifle? Good luck. I however will never let my .270 go. Sierra used to have 90 gr. hollow point bullets in .270 I'd load for varmints when the .270 was all I had.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,079 Posts
If you want a do it all, the closest I've come is the .270. Flat shooting, seems to be the sweet spot. Whatever a .243 should do a .270 will too and can be used on bigger game also.

IMHO, Jack O' Connor was right (so was Elmer for that matter; he just didn't like the fact that Jack was a college boy).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 270 would probably be the easiest rifle to find, but all sorts of firearms have gotten considerably more pricey...
I've actually found a couple of different rifles in .243, a Savage Axis 2 with scope for $299.00 and a Ruger American for $429.00, both new.

There is a pawn/gun shop close to the house that has at least a dozen .270's of various manufacturers that start at $499.00, used.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've actually found a couple of different rifles in .243, a Savage Axis 2 with scope for $299.00 and a Ruger American for $429.00, both new.

There is a pawn/gun shop close to the house that has at least a dozen .270's of various manufacturers that start at $499.00, used.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR
CDNN sports used to have a few .270's new for under 500 bucks.

·
Premium Member
20,114 Posts
I’d go with the .270. It’s a very versatile round. Anything from small game to large game will fall under it’s loadings,

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’d go with the .270. It’s a very versatile round. Anything from small game to large game will fall under it’s loadings,
That's just it, White-tailed deer is probably going to be the largest game I would hunt with it. I have a Savage Axis in .223, a Savage 110 Hog Hunter in 350 Legend and a Mossberg MVP Scout in 308. Plus my Diamondback in 5.56 and my Springfield Saint in 308. I'm getting ready to convert the Hog Hunter into scout configuration.

I don't really need either one, I just hate getting rid of all this reloading stuff, seeing's as how it is getting harder to get. I hope it's going to get better, but until it does, I'm thinking of covering one of the calibers that I have. I guess I could just get them both! LOL

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
The 270 ought to be great on woodchucks. I used mine on one in my garden - I peeked around the corner of my house and let him have it from 20 yards.

Wife was looking out the back door at it when I shot. Ka-Whooom! Woodchuck parts and pieces everywhere.
Boy was my wife mad at me. "Don't you EVER use that gun on one of those AGAIN! You exploded that thing all over the garden and now I have to go hose it off all the tomatoes!"

But then again, I'm sure the 243 will do the same.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
It seems you have a nice arsenal at the moment; certainly great choices for hunting most game in the US. I'm sort of curious if you previously had guns in .243 and .277; you have a lot of components for those. Perhaps, consider trading for components of what you are currently shooting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems you have a nice arsenal at the moment; certainly great choices for hunting most game in the US. I'm sort of curious if you previously had guns in .243 and .277; you have a lot of components for those. Perhaps, consider trading for components of what you are currently shooting.
At one time I was licensed as a manufacturer. By specifying the use of pre-manufactured components, I didn't have to go through all the EPA garbage. My partner and I loaded 57 different calibers. And, I have considered that.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think 90% of my guns are either .357 Mag (handguns) or 30/30 Winchester (rifles).

I never planned it this way as it revolved over a few decades of buying/trading.
When I first started reloading in 1974, these were my first 2 calibers. I had a S&W 28-2 Highway Patrolman with a 4" barrel and a Marlin 336 in .30-30. Bought an RCBS Junior reloading kit with .357 carbide dies, plus scales, Uniflow powder measure, lube pad, primer flipper and a set of .30-30 dies, powder for both, bullets, primers and brass. If I'm not mistaken, it was less than $150.00, out the door!

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
If Whitetail deer is going to be the biggest thing you're going to be shooting then I would say flip a coin and pick. They both will do the job on deer as far out as most people are comfortable hunting. I have both calibers and am not afraid to use either on Mule Deer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts