Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I rechambered a bunch of the Ruger 77/22H into K-Hornets, it is usually a very straight reaming job that removes the Hornet shoulder and opens it up to the K-Hornet ctg. It is my opinion
that it is much easier on the brass once fireformed. It offers more velocity and safe pressures..Those old Ruger 77/22H were a fantastic rifle, easy to work on and they had almost no common issues that couldn't be fixed by shimming the two piece bolt to adjust headspace. Their triggers were very decent for the day and with mild stoning on a Powers Jig and basically adjusting the sear to trigger fit a very safe 3.5lb trigger was attainable. I like the 77/22 it is now a classic.

·
Premium Member
5,883 Posts
Around 12-15 years ago I bought a CZ527 in 223. Was hoping to hunt ground hogs with it. Never got the chance. It was a tack driver with 50 grain hand loaded Speer soft points. I traded it off after I put together a 20 heavy barrelled AR with a good trigger that was every bit as accurate.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I load my 223 with 34 grain bullets to 3500 fps. I only shot a couple prairie dofs with them, but do not recall any movement after the shot. I think it depends on how good the shot is. If you center punch them with a 22 they do not move too much. But if you want that red mist, I think it is all about velocity and bullets that blows up easily. With the dogtown bullets I use pretty much any hit blows them apart.

I just loaded some of my 257 Weatherby with 75 grain Hollis points, to 3450 fps. I can load them up to about 3700 fps but I wanted them to hit the same point of aim in my scope, so I chose that speed and it is spot on. This is now my coyote load but I have not found one yet. I also gave some 55 grain 243 bullets I want to try as well. Both should be interesting. I have also loaded some 30-06 with 110 grain spire points to over 3100 fps but have only shot paper with them.

My thought is all of the fast ones will work. I just enjoy the little 17WSM, which when suppressed sounds like a 22 short.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
I rechambered a bunch of the Ruger 77/22H into K-Hornets, it is usually a very straight reaming job that removes the Hornet shoulder and opens it up to the K-Hornet ctg. It is my opinion
that it is much easier on the brass once fireformed. It offers more velocity and safe pressures..Those old Ruger 77/22H were a fantastic rifle, easy to work on and they had almost no common issues that couldn't be fixed by shimming the two piece bolt to adjust headspace. Their triggers were very decent for the day and with mild stoning on a Powers Jig and basically adjusting the sear to trigger fit a very safe 3.5lb trigger was attainable. I like the 77/22 it is now a classic.
I have installed the Volquartsen 77/22 target sear in both my rifles.

Can standard 22 Hornet ammo be safely shot in a 22 K Hornet chamber? I’m intrigued about the K Hornet, but I have a bunch of standard Hornet ammo already loaded up.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have installed the Volquartsen 77/22 target sear in both my rifles.

Can standard 22 Hornet ammo be safely shot in a 22 K Hornet chamber? I’m intrigued about the K Hornet, but I have a bunch of standard Hornet ammo already loaded up.
I read up on this recently and my knowledge is third hand from rando's on other forums...but from what I read simply shooting the Hornet loads is a common way to fireform your Hornet Brass to Hornet-K brass. Double check that of course... I wonder how accuracy does when doing that.

edit to add - I don't know why I replied actually. we have people in the thread who would have first hand knowledge. <sigh/>. Too bad we can't delete replies here.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I read up on this recently and my knowledge is third hand from rando's on other forums...but from what I read simply shooting the Hornet loads is a common way to fireform your Hornet Brass to Hornet-K brass. Double check that of course... I wonder how accuracy does when doing that.

edit to add - I don't know why I replied actually. we have people in the thread who would have first hand knowledge. <sigh/>. Too bad we can't delete replies here.
Fireforming regular Hornet cases to create the K Hornet has been the traditional method, because K Hornet reamers varied. To get brass to fit your gun, firing the regular ammo in your chamber insured a perfect fit. Probably does not matter today, but that is the way it started.

Just like I fire the 300 H and H magnum in the 300 Weatherby rifle to create the perfect 300 Weatherby Magnum case. Lots of my 300Wby ammo has the H and H headstamp. Same deal.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

That is the beauty of the K chamber, it will readily shoot a standard .22 Hornet ctg and it will fireform it to the chamber. As the .22 Hornet is a rimmed ctg no headspace is changed and the chamber mouth remains sealed, it is very safe.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Handwriting
Office supplies Wood Natural material Tints and shades Font

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I've got some sort of weird compulsion to buy a rifle. I know, I know, we all suffer from it.

I've been seriously considering a .17 WSM for over a week now. I want something longer ranged than my .17 HMR for Prairie Dogs. Full disclosure here, I have a Rem 700 in .22-250 and two rifles chambered for .222 Remington; a Rem 40-X and a Sako. Both cartridges in any of those rifles will do what I'm after and are already set up. Yet somehow I still want a .17 WMR. I can't even load for the .17's. This irrational desire for more rifles is clearly a character flaw, right?

I did go ahead and order a few hundred 50 grain varmint bullets to load for both the 22-250 and 222. I think I caved to my other desire to not add more to my overflowing safes, but wouldn't be surprised at an impulse purchase of a .17 WSM in the next few months...

To make some conversation, what cartridges and platforms do you use when hunting Prairie Dogs?

View attachment 174602
Just for your info, I checked about 20 places online including ammoseek and those search engines and did not find any 17wsm, none, zilch, nada. , except in 1000 round lots for $300 or so. I personally just do not want to lay $300 at a time for rimfire.

I think I have maybe 600-700 rounds, so I will use the little 17 and 22 mag more. I can find ammo for them, just not the wsm. If you see ammo, better grab it.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Little larger bullet than we've been discussing, but I've got a Rem 722 chambered for .257 Roberts. I'm considering loading up some 75 grain bullets at moderate velocities to see if I can get an accurate load. I would then need to figure out drop between 250 and 300 yards. It may be overkill for Prairie Dogs at a distance, but it would be interesting to play with.

ETA - Not verified, but I think these are 1:10 twist. I have a bunch of .257 75 grain Hornady bullets, so that's where I'd likely start unless they just flat won't stabilize.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a Ruger Hawkeye in 257. It has been very frustrating. Sometimes it seems like it wants to shoot, but usually groups of about three inches. I know I need to experiment more. It just so frustrating and not much fun. I still have hopes for this rifle cartridge combo.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have a Ruger Hawkeye in 257. It has been very frustrating. Sometimes it seems like it wants to shoot, but usually groups of about three inches. I know I need to experiment more. It just so frustrating and not much fun. I still have hopes for this rifle cartridge combo.
Yeah? I haven't messed with mine yet. I bought an entire estate a number of years ago because I wanted a handful of the collectable rifles in the lot. The 722 in .257 Roberts was just along for the ride and has been sitting in the back of the safe un-touched. I'll see if I can make up some test loads for it this next week and start putting it on paper. It needs a much nicer scope on it to really test accuracy, so it would be a bit of an expanded timeline to really get it dialed in. Do you recall the bullet weight and powder you are using?

I also have my .22-250 that I just started messing with again, I want to get the load for that dialed in before I switch focus again. I had started on the .22-250 years ago but discovered how sweet the .222 Rem is before I finished with the .22-250 and switched focus, completely dropping work on the .22-250 for quite a while.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Little larger bullet than we've been discussing, but I've got a Rem 722 chambered for .257 Roberts. I'm considering loading up some 75 grain bullets at moderate velocities to see if I can get an accurate load. I would then need to figure out drop between 250 and 300 yards. It may be overkill for Prairie Dogs at a distance, but it would be interesting to play with.

ETA - Not verified, but I think these are 1:10 twist. I have a bunch of .257 75 grain Hornady bullets, so that's where I'd likely start unless they just flat won't stabilize.
I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 257 Wby, with the 1/10 twist. My hunting load is 100 grains but as I said before, I load 75 grain Hornady HP and Hornady red tip 75 grain bullets. I load them to 3450 fps which gives about the same point of aim out to 300 yards as my hunting load. They both shoot 1 inch groups at 100, same as my hunting loads. I have not tried to develop smaller groups as that works for my needs. I have 2 other hunting rifles that will shoot 1/2 inch but I just like that down range power level of the 257.

Not sure how fast you can get the 257 Bob but would think if you can get 3000 fps that the 1/10 would be just fine.

Reactions: Dutch and neophyte

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dutch
I tried 87 grain Nosler, 90 grain Sierra BlitzKing, 100 grain Nosler Accubonds and some others I can’t remember off the top of my head. I’m out of town now, so I don’t have access to my notes. It will be another couple of weeks before I get back home.
when I get a chance I’ll give you specifics of what I’ve tried. I’m pretty confident that you will find good loads. I think my rifle just need some help.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I am surprised at your Ruger having issues. The Hawkeye is a nice gun.

I am shooting the same bullets in my 257 Wby, faster but the same twist. I get one inch groups with Two 75 grain Hornady loads, the HP and the Red Tip Varmint. I also load an 85 grain Nosler Ballistic tip and my hunting bullet the 100grain Sierra Game King. I am using IMR 4350 in all of them and , so you might give it a try..

I did kind of an interesting deal and it worked great. The max book load for the 257 Wby with 100 grain bullets is 64 grains. It worked great. So, just for grins I loaded the two 75 grain bullets and the 85 grain one with the same 64 grains. Being lighter bullets they go about 100-150 fps faster, which hits about the same point of aim at 300 yards, yet lighter blast and recoil. And they are all grouping right at 1 inch. Like a miracle, lol.

So, I highly recommend IMR 4350 for those bullets with that 1/10 twist.

Reactions: neophyte and Dutch

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Went out and busted some prairie dogs this morning. The .17 HMR worked well again, and the .222 was invaluable. They were shy and spooky today, we needed more range than the .17 reliably provided…
I’d like to get time to test my .22-250 loads and get that rifle all sorted out for next time.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Took the .22-250 to the range today and shot my 6 test loads. The worst 3- shot group was an even 3/4". The best 5 shot group was 5/16th. It looks like this rifle will shoot whatever I feed it. Im taking it out prarie dogging next time.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
It seems to be a good one.
Remington 700 with a heavy profile barrel. It’s got a mottled black stock on it that may be factory, I’m not sure. Scoped with a Vortex Diamondback 4-16x42 and an inexpensive set of Warne rings I had sitting around. Nothing extremely high-end, but certainly reasonable for my uses.

Bullets were 52g Sierra Matchking. My quick test series used Varget and IMR 4895, loaded from the upper middle end to near max of Lyman’s data. Upper middle of the road velocities gave tightest groups with both powders. I’d need to go get a manual to tell you what the listed velocity estimates for them are. I set my bullet depth a touch longer than book COAL specifies, but not by much.

edit to add - rifle barrel is marked KP. Might be KF, the stamp is light, but I think it is KP.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts