Gun and Game Forum banner
41 - 60 of 125 Posts
Thrillbilly...you mentioned the word, "Jeweled" bolt. I suppose that's the first time I've ever heard that word used in relation to a gun. Maybe it's an old gun term...but it's a new one on me. I would have used the word "spot faced"...and am guessing that's the same thing.

Ox

Attachments

here's mine. nothing fancy but a good 100 yards or so shooter. i also like that it is lightweight and the synthetic stock is weatherproof.

thought i'd share.

there are some nice looking rifles in this thread....

Attachments

Remington 700 VLS 223 Dual Optics Varminter

Well it's finally finished, except for final sighting in and considerable load development. I think it's pretty well tricked out for my needs. This one will serve as a backup for my, equally trick, RRA Varmint 24. This rifle started as a used Remington VLS that had some minor problems. It had some small dents on both sides of the fore end and over-sized chamfer on the firing pin bore in the bolt face. It would crater every primer, no matter how hot or mild the load. Test firing the modified bolt with a recommended max load showed no cratering whatsoever. (Problem solved)
The bolt went to Gre-Tan Rifles for a bushing and reduced firing pin diameter and bore. I had them install a new speed-lock firing pin assembly that includes a fluted and turned down firing pin, black anodized bolt shroud, cocking piece, and spring.
The dents were removed from the stock, action glass and pillar bedded, barrel floated, and some finish touchup done.
The trigger was fine-tuned to a very crisp 1.5 lbs. Next came the 9 shot extended floor plate, Leupold 30mm bases and rings, Sightron SIII 6-24X50mm Long Range Mil-Dot main optic, TNVC SAR-3PS rail, and Aimpoint Micro-T1 Red Dot secondary sight. The whole empty weight came in just under 12 pounds for this beast. I already like it, and I can't wait till the weather breaks enough to go to the range for tests. It may be a bit of over-kill for shooting targets, P-dogs, jackrabbits, and a few coyotes, but it sure is a neat rifle. It's amazing how fast you can get $2,000 into something like this.

41 - 60 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.