Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see one so I thought i'd take a moment to open up a discussion about low power variable optics, "LPVO's". mostly im refering to the use on ar-15 style pistols, carbines and rifles.

Im considering getting a 1-4 or 1-6x for use on an ar pistol and would like to get different viewpoints to consider.

thanks!

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,399 Posts
The Strike Eagle series by VorTex has served me well.

It's a little heavy and uses 30mm rings and that's its only drawback. Or perhaps the 1-8 reticle has a different type of BDC than the 1-6. But VorTex makes great stuff and really stands behind their product.

Illuminated reticle with BDC. Really clear glass. Spare battery in compartment and uses the common 2032s.

I have the 1-6 and 1-8x versions. Been really happy with them and if I wasn't going full up Trijicon I'd seriously consider the VorTex stuff.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Right now Natchez RSS has the Leupold Mark AR Mod-1 series on close out sale.

1.5x-4x SPR Reticle with illuminated green center dot.

I put one on my "Traveling Rifle" AR build.
And I'm quite pleased
But before that I played with it on my AR pistol build. And I liked it so much on the pistol I ordered another!

Think of it as a light handy 1.5x Green Dot with a built in 4x magnifier and back up Reticle with no flip to side magnifier to affect balance/handling if the weapon.

I'm sorry just got my phone and camera on it.
Reticle with dot best I can manage:
IMG_20200520_214553.jpg

Hard to see the circle Plex and dot marks on the cross hairs.
General ideas on compactness. Depending on ring height and type or use of BUIS the rear sight, Magpul in this case, may need a little shaving/shaping but it does not adversely affect function.
IMG_20200520_214623.jpg

A little close up of the adjustments:
IMG_20200520_214402.jpg

Adjustment button.Press on then press and release quickly to in crease or decrease power. Dot will flash when you get to either end of the adjustment spectrum.
IMG_20200520_214409.jpg

·
Super Moderator
16,827 Posts
LPVO' are great. I have an 1-6 Trijicon on my SCAR17 and a 1-8x Trijicon on one of my AR15s.

Very clear glass on both of them and very good at the 1x setting with no "fishbowl effect" Generous eye box and eye relief.

The magnification is not only good for distance shooting but for positive target ID.

With the better quality glass you also get good 1x viewing and light transmission which can let you use the optic like a red dot when dialed down.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im gonna go ahead and get an lpvo and do a comparison with it and the RDS, and maybe also the fixed 3x burris ar332 I have.

question is 1-4 or 1-6? I dont know why but im tempted to get the 1-4.

is a 1-4 overkill on an ar-pistol?

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Im gonna go ahead and get an lpvo and do a comparison with it and the RDS, and maybe also the fixed 3x burris ar332 I have.

question is 1-4 or 1-6? I dont know why but im tempted to get the 1-4.

is a 1-4 overkill on an ar-pistol?
Honestly I don't know. If your pistol is accurate, and most are, a 4x top end really isn't overkill.

My only caution is don't go too cheap on the optics. I don't think you will but others may read this. Besides the normal front back force of the bolt operating there is also muzzle blast to consider and it's possible affects on the optic used. Not saying it's a big concern but some short barrels and muzzle device options can make things worse.

I believe it's a lot better option than having to mess with a flip to the side magnifier. And again battery goes down the cross hairs are still there.

·
Banned
754 Posts
It all depends on your use for it. The pistol scopes were originally put on ARs for CCO use, close combat and all serve the same purpose except they are better. If you are a gamer and shoot 3 gun where you are shooting big targets and never more than 100 yards they are good. Since they have the small 24mm front without a large objective they lose that natural sun shade and lose some light transmission if you are hunting in that last hour before dark. I am retired military and thought they were fine for close range military uses, but not now for my personal uses. If you shoot any distance at all you need to put them side by side with a hunting scope and you will see the difference.

Today, I use my 5 ARs hunting and just target shooting, I do not play 3 gun or other gun games with them. One of mine is a pistol in 300 BLK. While I do plink with the pistol and haul it in the RV when camping, I also have it set up for coyote hunting, and have the 3 x 9 x 40 on a quick detach mount as I sometimes put a reflex sight on it for 0-100 yards plinking or steel or for camping in bear country, 20 rounds of 300 BLK is pretty comforting at night in the boonies.

Coyote hunting requires at least a 9 power objective. Example, a coyote coming to a call that suddenly balks at 200 yards, his chest looking at you is about a 6 inch square, coyotes are short, maybe 2 feet tall, in the grass on 4 power, almost impossible to see. At 9-10 power that 300 pistol is good to 250 yards on a coyote, with the low power scope maybe half that.

If you do not hunt and only use them for killing paper at the range, I suggest the reflex or dots, there is not a lot to them, they are cheaper and if you are just shooting the center of a man target, not much quality is needed, as long as the bullet follows the dot consistently.

The other weakness I had with them is if you get one with a dot, or magnifier with a dot, they are usually up to 2-4 inches at 100 yards, that covers the coyote completely by about 200 yards, where you need crosshairs.

That is just my experience and what I use them for. Same scopes on the pistol as the carbines for me.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it went up from $89 to $99. most of the reviews quoted it being $119.

use falcon704 for 7% off on amazon

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the Feyachi falcon 1-4x24 today. so far i must say im am very impressed.. like, wow! i dont have much time behind $1200 glass, but comparing it to my burris ar-332 which was $350 back when I got it, and i've always considered it good, this glass is clearer and brighter, it has been about, idk 8 years or so so i suppose scope tech has come along way and prices have come down.

the only drawback i see to the RDS is the size and weight, but i think the capabilities far outweigh the weight. reticle is nice and sharp, cant say that about the rds. it works really well at 1x, even if its 1.05 or so...the illumination is plenty bright for indoors which is where i would mainly benefit from using it in faux rds method. i have found on scopes with etched reticles, i rarely use the illumination. cant wait to get some rounds down the tube with this scope!

more to come!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts