Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 6x18 Leupold, for a .22 varmint rifle.

At about 10 yards it shoots a tad to the right, and at 30 yards it shoots a little to the left.

Is it a mounting issue, or a scope issue?

Thx,
z

·
Premium Member
30,746 Posts
Tighten all screws to spec
Rail screws included.
Put it in a rock steady rest
If it's still screwy
The scopes broke
Or you are subject to convulsions while shooting

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
24,835 Posts
Zardiw: Sir; Welcome from NC

anytime I find myself stuck; problem solving!
Start at scratch. Assume nothing :)

https://www.targettamers.com/guides/how-to-mount-sight-rifle-scope/
That was a good BASIC guide to mounting a scope, but in Step 4, he leaves out a CRITICAL point!

When tightening the screws on the ring tops, you need to take care to tighten them in an alternating, crisscross pattern, that keeps the ring tops evenly depressed from side to side, i.e. the small gaps between the lower and upper ring halves needs to stay equal. Otherwise the scope tube will be twisted in place, and/or canted by the time the tightening process is complete.

It is also VERY handy to use a small "inch/pound" torque wrench for tightening the ring screws to even pressures. (I use the Wheeler Fat Wrench)

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Fire...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0012AXR4S

I have mounted dozens of rifle scopes over the years, for myself and my friends. It is not a complicated process, but it IS a very PRECISE process that takes care and detail attention to get the best results.

Reactions: neophyte and rando

·
Registered
24,835 Posts
Just got a 6x18 Leupold, for a .22 varmint rifle.

At about 10 yards it shoots a tad to the right, and at 30 yards it shoots a little to the left.

Is it a mounting issue, or a scope issue?

Thx,
z
It is hard to say from so little info.

Since you are not stating how far off it is each way, or what ammo you are using, or what rifle you are shooting it from, or the condition of the scope, or whether you are shooting from a rest, it could be just the variation in the ammo, the shooting technique, or the firearm itself.

If the scope mounts are tight, and the rings are tight, then the left right variation (especially in a new Leupold scope) is probably NOT due to the scope it self. If it is a used scope, that you recently got from someone else, then it may have been damaged. Leupold has a LIFETIME WARRANTY, and will fix it for you, if you send it to them.

Reactions: neophyte

·
<------------<<<-
4,198 Posts
If everything checks out, and you're still having the issue, then I'd say it is mounted just off of center with the bore, like you said befor. Tune it in by rotating the scope ever so slightly counter clockwise.

·
Registered
11,633 Posts
these things are usually easily explained.

if it's a little to the right at 10 yds it's more to the right at 30 yds and even further to the right at 100 yds.
it is NOT even possible for a bullet to weave back and forth across it's path of travel.

IMO
you jerked the trigger at 10 yds and pushed on the stock at 30 yds.

·
Registered
24,835 Posts
these things are usually easily explained.

if it's a little to the right at 10 yds it's more to the right at 30 yds and even further to the right at 100 yds.
it is NOT even possible for a bullet to weave back and forth across it's path of travel.

IMO
you jerked the trigger at 10 yds and pushed on the stock at 30 yds.
That would fall under the "shooting technique" I mentioned in REPLY #9. I just wasn't inclined to say he was doing it. LOL

Reactions: neophyte and M14man

·
Registered
11,633 Posts
I just wanted to make it clear it wasn't the scope.
and it wasn't the round wandering around.

1 shot tells us nothing.
I won't even remove my scope caps until I shoot at least 3 rounds and generally it's 5-7 then I move the center of the group to @ where I want it and shoot again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow.....thank you so much for all the responses!......I am doing further tests at the moment......will provide you with pictures....I think it's not as bad as I first thought....will keep you posted.......z

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote: Parallax adjustment is not being set or moved ?!?

I'm gonna say that it was probably parralax, since my right eye isn't focusing the greatest, so I have the eyepiece screwed out a LOT. So the reticle moves around a bit when aiming....Most of my shooting is rats/squirrels by my bird feeder, which is probably only 10 yds away....

Further shooting/testing groups seems to show that the scope is OK......

Thanks again for all the responses........z

PS. The gun is a .22 RWS 54 .....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts