close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lightweight 9mm boostered cans?

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by melloyello, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Looking for a very lightweight 9mm can for my pistols (with booster).
    I don't need a full auto rating, just semi-auto fire.

2. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Rebel Silencers has some very light-weight suppressors. Their weights listed do NOT include the booster, which is sold seperately.

https://rebelsilencers.com/sos-9

Edit - sent you a PM with a special offer...

3. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    When I looked, it seems like everyone agreed that 10 something ounces was about as light as 9mm suppressors came. Gemtech's GM9 is a few ounces lighter than Silencerco, YHM, AAC, etc, coming in at 8 something ounces. The Gemtech is all aluminum. There may be a lighter offering than GemTech, but that's the lightest one I considered last month (according to my notes here anyway).

I have a Gemtech in 9mm (not the GM9) that's dedicated to my Subgun. It is all aluminum, but works quite well. I've shot a few thousand 9mm's through it and think the blast baffle is holding up fine.

-----
    As for that review...wow. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have to say that the majority of that article was ridiculous. The author is so over the top that I have a hard time believing anything he has written.

First, he is clearly against the hearing protection act. He actually leads with that point.
    Second, he thinks that a suppressor is going to, quite literally, explode in his face. It doesn't work like that.
    Third, he clearly does have a dog in this fight. I don't know what it is, but it's clear he's selling something.
    Fourth, he shot .300 win-mag through a super light-weight aluminum .30 cal suppressor with an aluminum blast baffle and was shocked that there was some erosion on the blast baffle. Again, It doesn't work like that.

I don't know how he managed to hit the end-cap of his suppressor, but if it actually occurred while test firing a properly threaded suppressor, that is a problem that should be addressed and cause for concern over their quality control. I am not saying it did, since I stopped believing anything thing this guy had to say by the end of the article.

Edited to add - The website also clearly states that the suppressors have a lifetime warranty. If it's a manufacturers defect it's covered, if it's worn out or needs an upgrade there is cost added for parts and shipping. That should be added as number 5 above.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    blaster and TACAV like this.
  4. Surprising that 10 ounces is the acceptable weight for a 9mm can, mine is an Innovative Arms Lex 9mm hitting ~9.8 ounces with booster.

I've read the Truth about Guns for years and I like the candidness, perhaps over the top for some. I also have to agree with this author, Tyler Kee, with regard to HPA. He stated in other articles HPA stifled the silencer market, i.e. wait for HPA to pass, then SilencerCo has massive layoffs last year. IMO, there are too many so called Pro-Gun RINOs would never let it pass, nevermind Trump ever seeing the bill brought for a signature, just like the Conceal Carry National Reciprocity Act.

I must have missed that part that he shot 300 Win Mag. He shot a 308 Win and said it was rated for 300 Win Mag. His article was one reason I opted for the Harvester 30, second contender was the Griffin Sportsman.

I don't think erosion covered by the Lifetime Warranty, unless that is considered poor quality materials?

5. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Agreed. It seems mildly heavy for a 9mm.
    Edit - I hadn't seen the Lex when I looked for a 9 a while back. It looks like a nice suppressor.

The HPA is not at fault for the down suppressor market. To suggest it is disingenuous at best. The down suppressor market was directly created by the Rhinos who refused to vote on it. Had they voted and the bill failed, the market would have been the same as always. Had they voted on it and it passed, the manufacturers would be struggling to keep up with demand. The author's is, apparently, ill informed.

I like the truth about guns. I think this particular author is an idiot who should be bussing tables somewhere.

You are correct. However, it doesn't change the original point. Shooting a rifle cartridge through a suppressor with an aluminum blast baffle is going to wear the baffle. For the author to expect otherwise is willfully ignorant.

Of course they aren't covered for wear. That's considered normal wear. You won't see that kind of wear with 9mm though. Historically, most (all?) pistol caliber suppressors were made entirely from aluminum because they needed to be light weight and aluminum is adequate for the use.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

O.K.,I am a newby to suppressors so here is my latest question.
    What is a booster and what purpose does it serve? :confused:

7. From my understanding, all please correct me if i am mistaken: on pistols where the barrel tilts up during recoil, Browning tilt barrel system, the suppressor weight adds to the barrel and hampers the barrel tilt and slide recoil. A booster is spring system in the suppressor, which absorbs energy from the gun's forward motion of the gases hitting the baffles. It then releaes the spring energy by pushing the systen backwards therby helping to increase the slide recoil back far enough to be able to load the next round.

On a fixed barrel, there is no tilt, therefore the slide recoil is not hampered.

blaster, Rave and Dutch like this.
  8. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Thanks,that was a great answer,got it! :usa2::)