Lightweight Rifle (500 Yard Accuracy)

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by animalspooker, Apr 23, 2012.

1. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

I'm looking for a 'survival' rifle that is accurate out to 500 yards, still has the force to make a clean kill, and is extremely lightweigh. I don't care what it looks like as long as its portable, easy to handle and does the jobs I'm asking of it.

I was wondering if theres anything out there...maybe some 'concept' rifle or something. Any ideas???

2. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

Ar 15

3. Huey Rider

Huey Rider Rotorhead Savage Forum Contributor

With a 24-26" bull barrel.

4. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

Thompson center or h&r handi rifle in 30 cal range

5. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

make it something you can afford to shoot.
    500 yds takes more practice [reading the wind and mirage] and trigger time and not so much in the way of special gear.
    maybe a special set of scope rings for elevation.

6. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

7. Doc Jones

Doc Jones G&G Addict

AK-74 (not AK-47)

The AK 74 will reach that far and is more lethal than the .223 because it relies on tumbling rather than expansion. Also the ammo is half the price.

Get an Arsenal or a TSD AK-74 from onesourcetactical.com and you'll have no accuracy issues.

If you are of the AR bent and can afford the ammo, a 6.5 Grendel AR would do the job beautifully.

Doc

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  8. BarryHalls

for 500 yards or more I'd stick with 308 or bigger. Smaller calibers will reach but not drop the same hammer.

9. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

Extremely lightweight , easy to handle and portable sounds like an AR to me !

10. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Or don't just use standard 5.56 military ball ammo. Plenty of other awesome 5.56 cartridges available. :)

11. BarryHalls

Just occurred to me that the Savage Axis is about 6 lbs and comes in every caliber you could want. Shoots good too.

12. Lightweight

Lightweight G&G Enthusiast

First thing I thought of was a Savage 10/110 rifle. My .30-06 barely breaks 6 lbs (no scope) and I did build a .25-06 for a friend, and with scope it is still under 7 lbs. Both were affordable factory options.

I guess it depends on what you intend to put a 'clean kill' on - big game, dangerous game, edible game, or the two legged varmint variety? I mean personally I find the AR rounds a little lacking beyond 300 yards for hunting big game (of course incapacitating marauding goblins beyond that is certainly possible). Savage also offers their 'Lady Hunter' or 'Lightweight Hunter' rifle, which says 5.5-6 lbs, and is available in .243 Win, or the 6.5 Creedmore - both of which would offer long range capability. As a side note, they are all 'Hunting Rifles' and not as scary to the public ;)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  13. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

One factor you failed to mention

Going out to five hundred yards is a real visual challenge. It takes very high dollar optics for that kind of shooting. Expect to spend big if you want consistency.

Lightweight rifles in general have thin barrels that are subject to rapid heating thus wandering bullet impact points.

I would advise you to spend some time with longer distance target shooters before making purchase decisions.

14. SasquatchSniper

SasquatchSniper G&G Addict

Might not be the best solution but I've been wanting one of these...

The Gun Guys

15. animalspooker

I am speaking of the two legged varmints. The best I've heard so far is the Lady Hunter. How about taking some of the stock off. Can you do that to synthetic stocks. It doesn't have to be pretty, in fact I would prefer it not. I want it to end up 'personalized' so to say.

Another thing (on these lines) why do guns even need foreends if the barrel should be free floated in the first place? That would take off some weight.

I don't care for the AR (but I have one). I prefer the gun to be either bolt (#1 choice) or single shot.

How about those tube guns I've seen in the past? What's their story? Is weight reduced any with those?

And do you need a trigger guard (couple of ounces) or a buttpad (couple more)?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  16. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

H&R in .308 or 7x57mm.

17. animalspooker

5.3333 lbs for the superlight .243 but thats with sights....no scope rail.

Not bad though!

18. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Savage Model 10 Scout in .308 is about as perfect a 500 yard, lightweight gun as I can think of.

My AR 10 is probably heavier than you are looking for, but it works for me. LOL

19. BarryHalls

IT is the forend that allows the rifle to be free floated. Without the stock forend you are supporting the weight of the rifle on the barrel, which creates inconsistency in accuracy. The free floating allows you to change the ammount and location of pressure on the stock without affecting the barrel.

There are stocks (radical ones) that are just a bar or slab sticking out below the barrel, like a finger, not wrapped around it. They reduce some weight and provide MORE space between the stock and barrel.

They don't look very sturdy though. If you are thinking about a bug out rifle or pack rifle of some kind, stick with some traditional norms for durability and safety.

Elaborate on that? You talking about a carbon fiber barrel?

Plastic trigger guard (on most cheap rifles) weighs more like a couple grams. If you fire a .308 without a butt pad. . . You'll beg for one.

IN A PINCH, with some time to set up, you can NEATLY fold up a jacket and use it for a pad. Works pretty good if you have a nice fluffy jacket.

Main thing is that most stocks are hollow and that kind of recoil on just the rim of the stock would cut you. You may be able to work out some sort of minimalist custom hard plastic butt pad.

Take a look at MacMillan stocks. They will custom make to any rifle, and are what US scout snipers use. They are lightweight, and rugged.

A cheap production entry level or scout rifle is probably the way to go. The .243 is a pretty good option for 2 legged varmints out to 500 yards. .308 gives you a bit more and more options on big game. If I had to choose ONE as my only gun though, I'd pick the .243. It'll do FINE for big game I have around here, at the distances I could see them, and shoots flatter with less recoil.

I'm still a big fan of the 7.62x39, but then again, I've never seen a deer past about 200 yards. I have seen some places where I could see clearings 5, 6, 7, 800 yards or more away, but no deer were present in them :)

I also don't plan on shooting anyone pat 300 yards. If they are farther than that. I should be running or closing the distance anyway.

20. Lightweight

Lightweight G&G Enthusiast

Another thing about those H&R Handi-Rifles is that they can be broken down in two pieces - scope stays on the barrel as well :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted