Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a new Lithgow M1 Garand today but I've never heard of it.

It 'looked' like a fine gun at the tune of around $675.

Any thoughts out there?
"I have no qualms with you. Unless, of course, you insist I do. In that case you lose"...............Me

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From some research I have found out that Lithgow is an Australian company. I found one site and they were comparing the Lithgow with an Internation Harvester Garand. Of course, Lithgow didn't hold a candle to the IH.

The gentleman at the gun store swears by the Lithgow, but, if I was trying to sell a gun to an unknown (me) I might say the same thing.

If anyone has any further input I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If that is true then that's one strike FOR Lithgow.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Itcboy,

Right you were. Lithgow was extensively involved in, at least two, versions of the Lee-Enfield from 1913 to 1956.

Starting to sound better.......yepper. But, still not convinced yet, LOL.

·
Banned
548 Posts
I talked to the rep at Lithgow and he said that these rifles are about $800.00. I just posted a new thread about Springfield Inc. coming out with 10,000 new Garands. They go for about $900.00. If I were to choose I would go with the Springfield. You know where they are at, they make excellant weapons, and the warranty is for life. I dont really know enough about the Lithgow Garand to give it a good opinion.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a telephone number or website for Lithgow?

I have a few questions to ask and I can't find a site for info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fulton Armory has an uncomplimentary review of a lithgow reciever on thier web sight. I read a rebuttle to it from a rep. of the Austrailian Defense Industries (Lithgow). After all that I found a Lithgow reciever for sale ($125) bought it, and am assembling a SARCO 308 kit. I should have it back from the smith by friday.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Originally posted by ltcboy
I talked to the rep at Lithgow and he said that these rifles are about $800.00. I just posted a new thread about Springfield Inc. coming out with 10,000 new Garands. They go for about $900.00. If I were to choose I would go with the Springfield. You know where they are at, they make excellant weapons, and the warranty is for life. I dont really know enough about the Lithgow Garand to give it a good opinion.
Would not waste my time and money on either , go with a " real " Garand from the CMP . :)

Wyr
God Bless

·
Banned
548 Posts
Wyr--

I dont think that the new M-1 from Sprinfield Inc. is gonna be that bad of a rifle. Some guys may want an all new weapon and not have to contend with the hoops you have to jump to get a CMP rifle. Springfield Inc. said that they are only gonna make 10,000 rifles, hope that they stick to that. I dont know if I would trust the Lithgow M-1. I would rather deal with Springfield Inc. . They manufacture excellant M-1As, exspensive, but a good rifle. I hope they can do better with the Garand.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I greatly appreciate all the input and advice given on this issue. One thing I have learned in here is that freely given opinions are unbiased and generally sound.

Consequently, I have decided against considering the Lithgow.

Once again all, I 'preciate it.....yepper.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lithgow has experience with building auto recievers that were used in combat. They built about 200,000 L1A1s for the Australian and other armies and their L1A1s saw combat in Vietnam. Ask an Ozzy what he thinks of Lithgow products. They are now producing the Aug-Steyr rifle forthe Australian Army.

·
1,087 Posts
The new Springfield's are built on a Lithglow receiver. Haven't worked with one but have a friend in Australia where they are made. He visited or talked with them and stated they are well made and Lithglow is a quality maker. I'll try and get him to tell what he knows because he had some details if I remember right.

As for Dale saying {{I greatly appreciate all the input and advice given on this issue. One thing I have learned in here is that freely given opinions are unbiased and generally sound}}

This is true on this forum and I like it. At other another forum the owners constantly bring up past trouble they started and ask for a problem to stop. The trouble with smart *****'s is terrible and if someone who helps answers he is shot down as a "Snobby self proclaimed expert" as they did me.The quote was {I sure wouldn't want him to be passing on the legitimacy of any of my personal rifles}. . The owner did this and they complain about problems ? You email them to talk and they ignore you acting like children but act like there so superior. Here if this B.SO. starts the boss's end it and toss it in the garbage but it seems it isn't needed here since everyone seems to stay civil. I'm glad to be a part of G&G and happy the bunch of you are here and so decent and respectful. Thanks,,Rick B

1 - 13 of 13 Posts