Little Red wagon

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by don5544, Oct 8, 2010.

1. don5544

don5544 G&G Evangelist

Actually its blue, has pneumatic tires, and is made from expanded metal. Its my bugout wagon.

Am I the only one who has a little wagon to expand what I can carry. This is a expansion of what would be arried on my body, but it allows a lot more stuff.

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

is this the gardening wagons i see???

3. luvmyRugers

luvmyRugers G&G Evangelist

A picture would really help! Unlike wine, my feeble mind isn't getting any better with age either.

4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    I miss my Radio Flyer!

5. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I'm confused how does this: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1aqcLXfuA]YouTube - Little Red Wagon Wheelstander[/ame] fit into a SHTF scenario? I mean, it'd getcha outta the area in a hurry, but it's not really practical...:D
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself (bad toolman, bad toolman...)

6. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

I have a green wagon with air tires, it will come with us. If we have to start walkin it will be good for carrying the little if they get tired or for dumping gear. i might add side rails to mine, deffinetly i am going to extend the handle its about 6 inches to short to be comfortable.

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

maybe add a body harness to ease pulling it, and maybe 2 people on one point harness for real tough going.

8. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Add a seat so your wife can pull you!!LOL!!

9. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    An historical precedent that might be worth examining here is the behavior of the French refugees in 1940 fleeing the Nazis in 1940, and the German refugees fleeing the Russians in 1944 and 1945. I'll grant the point these people were not preppers in the sense we understand the term, but they were people smart enough to bug out rather than be caught by an invading force.

The film footage I've seen of these refugees almost never shows them using automobiles. That may be a reflection of the time -- cars were nowhere near as ubiquitous in prewar Europe as they are in the United States today -- or simply that those rich enough to afford cars may have bugged out earlier. The newsreels showed mostly peasant types with horse-drawn carts or barrows of one sort or another. They obviously were using what they had at hand when it came time to leave.

However, one thing the news footage never showed was refugees cutting across country, using map and compass to find their way; or them heading into the backcountry to hide out. They always kept to the roads. Not always the main roads, but they were definitely roadbound. The Nazis incorporated refugees clogging the roads as an element of blitzkrieg, in fact. Now, I know the Maquis and some Resistance units did hide out in the mountains and in some forest regions during the Occupation in both France and Poland, but all I have read indicates that came later, after the German takeover. The resisters didn't immediately head for the hills when the Boche rolled in.

I know the Radio Flyer the wagons are sturdy. In 20 years of estate-saling I've run across a few that have been played with by three generations of kids. But what I remember about them from my own childhood is that they bog down on soft ground very easily and are worthless in muddy or swampy terrain. The idea of those garden carts with wide air-filled tires sounds like it would work much better.

Still, I have to question how well they would work on hilly or swampy ground. Any cart sturdy enough to stand up to the stresses of a bugout is going to perforce be of heavy duty construction. That means it's not going to be light. If you are with a group or a family of at least squad size, towing duty can be rotated often enough to allow the unit (for lack of a better term) to keep moving quickly. If you are operating solo or with only a significant other or two, or you are not on some sort of decent trail with an even surface, I wonder how long it will be before you and/or your partners in survival will begin to question whether the gear and supplies on that cart are worth the effort of hauling it along.

Again, this is the sort of question that can be resolved only one way. You have to test it before the SHTF. Pack up your cart with all the gear you'd pack in a real bugout situation. Then, unpack it and weigh it. Load up the cart with that much weight in sandbags, bricks, cinderblocks, whatever; and then see how long it takes you to haul that much deadweight to your refuge location - or if you can do it at all. You can then adjust your load, and f necessary, your route, if you determine that for you the use of a cart is in fact a practical stratagem for SHTF scenarios.

It all comes down to something I keep telling people, most of whom outside this forum aren't ready to hear the message: Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance. Careful planning, if pedestrian and dull, is much more prudent than magnificent improvisation forced on you because you didn't plan for the SHTF scenario.

10. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

hold the phone, if i bug out i can bring 2 significant others. i cant wait to tell my wife

11. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

Stinky? When you get done, could you tell my wife too?

12. A-10

A-10 G&G Addict

^Let me know how that works out for you, fellas. lol

13. the Mormons also used hand carts as the trudged from MO to Utah...

Another thing to think of is a sledge, a cart on skis or with a flat sloped bottom, so it can be easily pulled on snow, ice, and sand. If you live in an area with cold winters or deserts, tying two skis or maybe snowboards to the side of the wagon would be a decent idea, then you could strap them on under the cart wheels if you encounter sand or snow.

LOL if you had a sledge, you could also just hop on and coast down big grassy hills!

14. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

Dedicated skis with mounting brackets similar to the tie down brackets you can buy to mount in truck beds for motorcycle front wheels would be good

15. RockB

RockB G&G Newbie

I'd suggest replacing the air filled tires with the solid wheelbarrow tires. You will not have to worry about puncturing them. I picked up a couple at Lowes or HD. Can't remember which.

16. trigger

trigger G&G Evangelist

Remember, What she doesen't know, Doesen't **** her off !!!!!

17. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    The company that makes Slime makes inner tubes pre filled with the stuff, about $13.00 per tube for a 4.80 x8 I can stick a coupler back on the cart to tow with a vehicle can also add a back gate easily.

Attached Files:

18. chad1234

chad1234 G&G Newbie

when i was at tractor supply i found a giant wagon with locks on the back

19. does that thing go fast enough to outrun Zombies?

20. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Evangelist

two wheeld garden cart, with solid rubber tires with axel under the CG, they will handle rough terrain & side hills better than a wagon that is prone to tipping.
    best to get one and try it out, Also nice big wheels make rolling through sand and gravel batter than small wheels that are prone to dragging and plowing.
    Tend to go with solid foam rubber tires will handle running across broken glass & barbed wire better than the thin treaded pneumatics, lots less to maintain like a air pump and patches.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010