close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Loads for smaller bullets

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Mar 17, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Is there anything wrong with using a load for a larger bullet when firing a smaller one? Example: Using the same load data for a 150gr .308 Win when firing 110gr.

2. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

In most cases you will be fine if you use a load for a heavy bullet with a lighter bullet, but not vice versa. If you are shooting a safe load with a 180gr bullet and then use that load with a 125gr bullet, you will be fine. The only problem that you might have is lower than average velocity. For the most part, heavier bullets increase pressure and lighter bullets decrease pressure, so if you use a load from a heavier bullet with a lighter bullet, you should have decreased pressure. Just don't ever try this with low velocity rounds such as pistol calibers, particularly the rifles that are chambered for pistol calibers, because the decrease in pressure and velocity may not be able to overcome the friction of the bore, resulting in a bullet lodged in the barrel.:( For most rifle cartridges though, you should be fine, you'll just get lower velocities than you would with a load optimized for that bullet weight.

3. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

What are you trying to do Battle rifle? I have load data on 308 down to 100grn. Are you just trying to get out of buying another pound of powder. Would be glad to share the loads.

4. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

You will want to be real carefull with changing bullets in the downward direction you could end up with unexpcted high presure spikes do to a phonamanon called detination

5. BattleRifleG3

I have yet to load a .308, I don't even have my own press. I'm just getting as much knowledge as I can before trying anything.

6. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Battle Rifle I will post you some load data just tell me what you are looking for

7. BattleRifleG3

How about loads for .308 Win, 110gr, using 4320 powder (I think). Rifle is an HK-91 clone.

8. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

110grn. jacket using imr4320 start grains 47.5 max load 49.0 grains vel. 3010 minimum oal 2.600 pressure is 47600 cup. out of Modern Reloading. Hornady book lists load for 110 grain bullet but no loads with 4320. They do have loads for imr 4198, 3031, 4895. Hope this is what you are loking for.

9. ReRide

ReRide G&G Newbie

nebr
    get a good reference manual and follow it!!!!!!!!!!