Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for load information for my Marlin Guide gun (45-70). I am looking to stoke the loads up a little, factory just isn't enough. I used the data from the Hornady reloading manual and used 48.7 gr. of IMR 4198 which is supposed to push a 300 gr. bullet out of the 1895 Marlin with a 22" barrel at 2100 fps. With the Guide Guns shorter barrel I am expecting a hair less velocity (haven't been able to chrony it yet).

If any one has some reloading info they would like to share I would be greatly appreciative, especially ones that will take the deer off there feet when hit, I know it's probably over kill but it's more fun that way. :insane:
Thanks and have a safe and prosperous hunting season,

Chadwick

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My Hodgdon book lists the 300 gr. Sierra HP at 2221 FPS with 55.0 grains of H4198. Thats out of a 24" barrel and is the max listed. Not much velocity gain but it'll sure knock a deer off its feet.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I'll get back to you later when I have my data in front of me. I've been loading for a gg for about four or five years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From deer to big bear, try a hornady 350 grn RN with
55.5 grns of IMR3031. Nothing in N.America can survive
that. Of course check your reload manuals to make sure
your particular weapon can handle it. this particular
load demolished a 250 black bears shoulders,(both) and went
thru about 6 inches of tree trunk. lodged about 5 inches
in another tree !!!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I've shot 50.5 grains of 3031 in my Ruger #1 with the Hornady 350 gr. RN. Raghorn is correct - this is a plenty powerful load. Good medicine for anything elk-size and below. Guaranteed quick-kill for any deer if you place your shot right.
Of course, a 440 gr. lead bullet and a full case of Pyrodex-RS works well, too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wanted to say thanks for all the great info you guys posted, I've decided to go with the load that I mentioned in my first post. I ran them through a crony last weekend and was surprised to see an average of 2160 fps. I didn't expect that kind of speed from the GG and I am quite happy with the groups it is shooting. This Guide Gun is really a cannon with stoked up loads, I can hardly wait to see what it does to a White Tail. We have a T-Zone hunt(Does only) here in Wisconsin in several counties the last week of October, So I am hoping to cure this GG of its Virgin status. Thanks again for all the info and any more loadings would still be greatly appreciated.

Have a safe and Prosperous Hunting season,

Chad

:uzi:
:assult:
:full:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts