Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I Recently picked up a Very Rare Bird Indeed. I was in one of our local guns shops the day before yesterday and spotted a neat Mauser action rifle and asked to see it, as the owner had just traded it in. My suspicions were spot on, as it was Indeed a Rare H&R rifle Imported by Sako. It was wearing a very early Leupold 3-9 scope that was produced prior to the Vari-X series and showed it's age by the Plum color of the scope tube, but the optics of it's Duplex recticle were crystal clear. These rifles were made in the early 1960's time span and sent to H&R The trigger and actions are made by Sako and the barrels were made by Douglas custom barrels. The stocks were Fagen and checkered at the H&R Factory by some in house older woman there. The Trigger assembly is fully adjstable for creep and pull and is stamped Made in Finland. There were very, very few of these made and in my 35 Plus years of gun shows from the East to West coast and after going though hundred's of Gun shops I have only seen one other like this stamped by H&R. This one is chambered in .308 Winchester and it is a pure tack driver as shown with the sight in Target I shot at the 100 Yard line yesterday with it. The final hits were Four in the Ten ring smaller than an actual dime using some Basic Federal Power shock factory ammo. I can't wait to start hand loading for this after seeing what it would do with just factory ammo. I will be taking it afield this weekend for our opener of Our Gun Deer Season. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
I saw one of these at the tulsa gun show last week end and I had no idea that they were rare. Dang it walked right buy a keeper and never knew what i was looking at.
Steve

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
VERY nice rifle!!! Congrats!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw one of these at the tulsa gun show last week end and I had no idea that they were rare. Dang it walked right buy a keeper and never knew what i was looking at.
Steve

Hello Steve
Don't feel bad. I had one in my hands about 27 Years ago but had to Lie it back on the sellers table as I had a little one on the way. I now will be able to use this one with her Husband this weekend when we deer hunt together. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
thats a nice lookin rifle how much was it?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats a nice lookin rifle how much was it?

Much less than the Black synthetic stocked Dull Black bead blasted finished current U.S. Made Production Junk Wal-Mart is Offering....:wink1: Hammerdown

·
Premium Member
12,349 Posts
Okay, so give us the really bad, 'rub it in our noses' bad news. What did you pay for it....$100, $200? Let us have it!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so give us the really bad, 'rub it in our noses' bad news. What did you pay for it....$100, $200? Let us have it!
Silly Boy... Can't you figure it out I aint gonna devulge what I paid for this gun. Does it really Matter, they sure don't make any like it anymore, Nor does Leupold produce Glass like this anymore since they sold their sole to Wal-Mart with the Junk Rifleman series of scopes they offer now......

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
The Model 300 Ultra Bolt action you have was made by FN in Belgium from 1965-1972. These were then Sako built actions from 1973-1977 followed by Zastavia built actions from 1978 -1981.So they were made for 16 years so there should be a fair number around or in collections or gun racks.

100% price is 525.00
95% price is 395.00
80% price is 295.00
all Sans Scope.

Just so others know what the value is if they find one....
The MKX actions are marked Harrington & Richardson on the off bolt side of the action, their bottom metal is steel and the bolt handle has been milled flat on the bottom.
The FN action is marked F&N "Made in Belgium"on the off bolt side, their bottom metal is alloy, and the top and bottom of their bolt handle is milled flat.
The SAKO actions are marked L61 on the off side of the action, the bottom metal & trigger is steel, and the bolt handle is not milled.

Here is the Old ad from 1966...http://store.vintagepaperads.com/servlet/-strse-15639/1966-H%26R-Ultra-Bolt/Detail
Rich

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Wow, that's a beauty! I wish craftsmanship was still in vogue today. :(

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
whatever then we just wanted to know how good of a deal you got but fine buy us . im guessin the person who sold it didnt know what they had or what it was worth.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Much less than the Black synthetic stocked Dull Black bead blasted finished current U.S. Made Production Junk Wal-Mart is Offering....:wink1: Hammerdown

Nice rifle. But Im here to tell you, that not all WalMart flat black plain jane rifles are junk. I just bout a Savage Axis 3-06 Springfield that will out shoot or hang with any High end rifle out there today. Built to last a Lifetime.

ps and have you handled the Stevens 200 yet! for $200 it cant be beat.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
:no:i had the axis in 223 but i had to sell it this morning best shooter ive ever had

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ha Ha I have one in .300 win mag. THE BEST SHOOTING RIFLE I have ever owned . Shot a monster 8 whitetail at 323 yards once only because I was confident of my abilites and the rifle. If you can hold onto it (.300 win mag) You can group em touching at 100 yards. Gotta find a pic and post it.

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
I thought it looked like an FN commercial Mauser action . Beautiful rifle. My Charles Daly Zastava Mauser in 30-06 is a tack driver. JR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts