Logging firearms

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AKHunter, May 25, 2008.

1. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

I am considering applying for a C&R license. I couldn't find the answer in FAQs regarding this so I will rely on some of you please.

Is a person who posseses a C&R license required to log other legaly owned firearms in the "bound book". Example, once I received the C&R lic. would have to inventory my existing collection and log it into the BB and maintain that inventory accordingly if/as it changes, even if they are outside the realm of qualified C&R firearms? This question applies to the "personal transfer" of modern firearms. I understand the C&R does not permit the transfer to other individuals.

Thanks for for your responses.

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    you only have to log guns that qualify as a C&R from the time you recieve your ffl. ones you own previous to, and ones that are not C&R do not get put in the bound book.

3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yeah, what he said. I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 I purchased before I got my C&R. It isn't in my book. But I seem to read that even if you get a C&R eligible gun after you get your C&R, and don't even show the license to buy it, you still must log it.

Dang bureaucrats and lawyers!

4. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

5. Its what Gangdog says - any C&R firearm you get after your license is issued must be logged into your bound book, no matter what. Does not matter if you "used" your license, bought in a private sale, etc. If I buy a C&R from Big 5 I must log it in even though my license is meaningless to the store.

6. gandog56

Like I said, lawyers and bureaucrats. What ya gonna do?

7. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Thanks for the replies :).

8. SwedeSteve

An interesting sidebar (and one I'm still waiting on a written response on): If you bought C&R eligible rifles before you obtained your C&R License, you must log those rifles into your "bound book" as "from private collection" and log the appropriate disposition when selling that gun. The guns are not licensed, YOU are.

9. You may want to reread some of the BATFE expectations. They did have some Q&A that I read that expect you to log ALL acquisitions, even non C&R purchases that you did not use your license to acquire.

10. So if I bought a "modern" firearm, I would have to log it into my log book even though it is not considered a relic?

11. According to the BATF website any firearms purchased before you have a C&R does not have to be in your bound book until you sell them. Then the disposition of them has to be entered in the bound book.

Any firearms purchased after you get a C&R have to be entered in your bound book no matter if you used a C&R to purchase or not.

You cannot legally purchase 3 rifles and sell 2 with a C&R. That would be engaging in selling for profit and would require an 01 FFL.

12. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    troy, can you show exactly where you've seen that. ive read every piece of paper/books i recieved from the ATF front to back and not seen it, and your the only person ive ever heard mention it. your C&R license(and book keeping) only governs guns that qualify as such.

13. SwedeSteve

I have not seen anything that says that either. If a gun is not 50 yeas old, a curio, or a relic, then it would not be required to enter it.

14. According to the gentlemen at the local BATF field office. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]St. Paul, MN (Group II- Industry Operations)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]651-726-0220[/FONT]​

Any firearm purchase made after you receive a C&R permit has to be entered in your bound book. If it is for a private collection you then enter a disposition of "Transferred to private collection". This pertains to any firearm not just a C&R firearm. This is to keep collectors from "hiding" transfers or sales.

Learn something new every day on here.

15. gandog56

ANY firearm? Or any C&R firearm?

16. SwedeSteve

I think that guy in MN needs to quote the page, para, and line where it says that. Hiding tranfers or sales? Non C&R guns have nothing to do with my C&R Collection, for which I am licensed and must maintain a bound book on.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  17. Theres the number. Call and argue with him.

18. SwedeSteve

I am waiting on a written response from BATFE. Before I applied, I like you Cap'n, read what I could and called my local BATFE. As you have noticed, there is so much contradictory information being passed around. I have asked the BATFE for a written
    clarification on specific C&R rules. I'll pass it along when I get it.

19. gandog56

Sounds good, because I would prefer to stay legal. So far it's been easy. All my gun purchases since I got the C&R, have been C&R guns. So I enter them. Although I did make a master list of all my guns in case I ever get burglarized, it is not in my bound book.

20. SwedeSteve

gandog- I did the same thing. My Agent advised me to take pictures as well. I have one copy of all of this at my Brother-in-Laws, and I keep one here.